How do I use a voltmeter to check my Riva?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldDragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Kansas
You should have two wires coming/attached to the meter. Turn the volt meter on and touch one wire to the center pole in the battery, the other should touch the outer theads of the battery. The meter should read 0(zero). With the wires still touching the battery in the same place, use your third hand press the button, the volt meter should now have a non-0 reading. If it still reads zero, you battery is no good. If you are using a multi-meter, you will first have to select the display options to set it for zero to higher range.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
If anyone would tell me how I would appreciate it. I'm not real familiar with the volt meter so if you culd tell me which color goes where that would help also. Thank you in advance.

Sky, the multimeter is actually very easy to use... BUT, before this thread and the well meaning advice ensues it would be best to know what type of meter you are using. (brand and model) Otherwise, there's going to be conflicting info that *will be* confusing.

IOW, there's no reason to know/learn how a meter different from your own operates.

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Thank you everyone.

Rich, I'm at work so not sure what kind I have. It is yellow and black though. :laugh::facepalm:

LOL Skydragon. Is it digital or analog? Going by the color description, its either a $3.00 Cen Tech from Harbor Freight, or a $300.00 Fluke, LOL again.

Edit: Btw, either one will work just fine. Set it on 20v DC and do what OKLdragon said. The hard part is getting the third hand to push the button.

Last edited:

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
LOL Skydragon. Is it digital or analog? Going by the color description, its either a $3.00 Cen Tech from Harbor Freight, or a $300.00 Fluke, LOL again.

Edit: Btw, either one will work just fine. Set it on 20v DC and do what OKLdragon said. The hard part is getting the third hand to push the button.

Well... this is kinda what I'm trying to avoid, Bozz. There's a black and yellow Centech that is auto-ranging. So, looking for a voltage scale that isn't there only serves to further confuse.

I *still* think it's a bee....

skydragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Mountain Cave
LOL.................you guys are funny. :p

It is an Etek.

I managed the "three hand" problem by holding it with my knees.

And Rich.............confused? Are you saying you think I am easily confused? Excuse me for this really overdone and horrible quote but....................I resemble that (I was going to say remark but technically you didn't make that remark" so I will leave it as it is. :lol::lol:

Thanks for all the help everyone. I appreciate it.

illuxion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
n00bs, one hand hold with other hand on the camera :p although I guess the fact that I actually use the term n00bs is proof enough of how adept I am at playing with myself lol

Attachments

• IMAG0292.jpg
    IMAG0292.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 43

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Anybody know how to work a Hongda DT95B - just got one in mail a few minutes ago and no instructions. Theres 3 different 20 on it. Green, red and white. Turned it on and put the probes together and it stayed at 000 Tried the red 20 and nothing showing or moving. I don't want to fool around until I know what I'm doing.

illuxion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Anybody know how to work a Hongda DT95B - just got one in mail a few minutes ago and no instructions. Theres 3 different 20 on it. Green, red and white. Turned it on and put the probes together and it stayed at 000 Tried the red 20 and nothing showing or moving. I don't want to fool around until I know what I'm doing.
Edit, just found a picture I can actually read.

The green with solid line with dash line under with 5 divisions(200m, 2000m, 20,200,400) is DC voltage, which is what you want. The Green that says 9v is for battery measurement, that will also work. The White with the a tilde(~) next to it and 2 divisions(400, 200)is AC, for measuring house voltage and such. The red with solid line with dashed line under with 3 division(200u, 20m, 200m) is DC current(amps). The white with 5 divisions(2000k, 200k, 20k, 2000, 200) and Ω(ohm symbol or greek omega) is resistance/diode checker. DO NOT connect live voltage to the white as you could blow the fuse(depending on the internals). Also don't try to measure the current from your battery, voltage is fine to measure though, because 200mA is too low of a range and will also blow the fuse.

For others looking if you want a cheap meter, make sure it is a capable one. You don't need to cough up $400 on a Fluke 87, but something that will do everything you ever need it to do.
here's a cheap decent autoranging with 10A max http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3320-Au...YGZA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289000993&sr=8-2
backlit, 10A, under $10 includes a manual and even measures transistors http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-19-Ra...BM/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1289001308&sr=8-35

Last edited:

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Thankyou very much. I'm such a fool. I want to check ohms on my attys. Will try it right now.

Edit, just found a picture I can actually read.

The green with solid line with dash line under with 5 divisions(200m, 2000m, 20,200,400 is DC voltage, which is what you want. The Green that says 9v is for battery measurement, that will also work. The White with the a tilde(~) next to it and 2 divisions(400, 200)is AC, for measuring house voltage and such. The red with solid line with dashed line under with 3 division(200u, 20m, 200m) is DC current(amps). The white with 5 divisions(2000k, 200k, 20k, 2000, 200) and Ω(ohm symbol or greek omega) is resistance/diode checker. DO NOT connect live voltage to the white as you will blow the fuse. Also don't try to measure the current from your battery because 200mA is too low of a range and will also blow the fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread