How do Low Resistance attys "stack up" vs Std. attys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up In Vapor

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2009
Knoxville, TN
Here's some #'s to help simplify all the electrical terminology:

with standard joye 510 atty:
3.7 v @ 2.4 ohms = 5.7 watts
4.2 v @ 2.4 ohms = 7.35 watts (fresh charge)
5.0 v @ 2.4 ohms = 10.4 watts
6.0 v @ 2.4 ohms = 15 watts

with Magnum Low Resistance atty:
3.7 v @ 1.5 ohms = 9.1 watts
4.2 v @ 1.5 ohms = 11.76 watts (fresh charge)
5.0 v @ 1.5 ohms = 16.66 watts
6.0 v @ 1.5 ohms = 24 watts (dead atty)

Most 18650 batteries will stay at or over 4 volts for a good while until they settle down to their rated power of 3.7. I put a fresh AW 18650 in my P. Woody last night and as of now it is still reading 4.07 volts, giving me 11 watts of power to the atty.
The main benefit as I see it is getting roughly 5 volt power from the magnum atty with just ONE protected battery...thus, the risk associated with stacking lithium batteries becomes unnecessary. So far, so good in real world performance too :)

Ed

Increasing Ohms to reduce power at higher voltage:

using a 4.5 ohms 510 HV atty:
6 volts @ 4.5 ohms = 8 watts (2 3.0 volt 123 batts)
7.4 volts @ 4.5 ohms = 12.17 watts (2 3.7 volt 123 batts)

Last edited:

Up In Vapor

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2009
Knoxville, TN
Well, the difference seems negligible to me so far. I went 2 days on 1 18650 and it still had power. I put it on the charger before I went to bed just for the heck of it. I will try to see how many days I can get from one before it runs outta juice. I just swapped in a new one last night so the count has begun ;) Of course I may see a squirrel and forget that I'm not supposed to recharge this thing until it dies :) I am using a brand-new AW 2600 mah LiIon protected 3.7 volt battery...the 2 days was with a 2200 mah unit.

Up In Vapor

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2009
Knoxville, TN
cos, I am still trying them both out, Li-Mn and protected Li-Ion. There is a bit of a difference in length between the 2 and the Li-Ion fits perfectly in the Woody, whereas I need a couple magnet spacers for the LiMn's. Performance wise I am still forming an opinion, but there appears to be little or no difference in the two.

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
Hey guys. Just my 2 cents but I've been using both batts and I can't tell the difference. As far as how long they each last, who cares! They both last for days. As long as your battery lasts more than one day, you just stick in the charger over night. The Li-Ion fits better but the LiMN fits in my Woodyfine without the need for spacers.
6 in 1, half a dozen in the other.;-)

cos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2009
St Petersburg Florida
Pete your right. if i can get a day outta a battery without worrying how many to carry with me if i go out then life is good. Pete wierd but in my woody with the liMN high drain i need 2 very thin spacers to make it snug. otherwise its hair loose. but Drew was talking last week how 2 people can have the same mod and same battery and 1 will fit and the other persons wont. its wierd but what the hell.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Drew,

Will you ever be selling the low-ohm attys separately (for us poor vapers)? And what about a low-ohm penstyle atty (e.g., 801 or 302)?

You realize, of course, that the low-ohm atty is the greatest breakthrough in vaping since the Screwdriver, right? Your Phidias Woodimus is a great work of art (the Stradivarius of PVs), but the low-ohm atty can be used on any battery or mod.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Hey Don, the low resistance 510 attys are on the site, click the woodimus link and they're there on that page.
Thanks for making me aware of that, Gee! That's great!

BTW, the "Phidias Atomizers" that come with the P Woody are described as 1.618 Ohms, but the "Low Resistance Magnum Atomizers" sold separately are described as 1.5 Ohm. Are they different?

Makes sense if they are, based on their names. The P Woody's 2600 mAh battery pumps out 4.2V for a lot longer than (what appears to be) the XL Kr8 battery (380 mAh) in the Magnum.

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
Hey Don, good to 'see' ya! How've you been?

Drew has the 510 LR atty's on the site, I received mine a few days ago and it is amazing. Using it on a 3.7 Bartleby with 14500's and it is phenomenal! I would love to see a 801 or 901 LR as well, give it time. Knowing Drew he likely has them in the works but can't talk about it yet, the guy is a true innovator.

Thanks for making me aware of that, Gee! That's great!

BTW, the "Phidias Atomizers" that come with the P Woody are described as 1.618 Ohms, but the "Low Resistance Magnum Atomizers" sold separately are described as 1.5 Ohm. Are they different?

Makes sense if they are, based on their names. The P Woody's 2600 mAh battery pumps out 4.2V for a lot longer than (what appears to be) the XL Kr8 battery (380 mAh) in the Magnum.

Yes, Don they are different to my understanding. I believe the 1.5ohm atomizers were originally used on The Magnum, and the 1.618 "Fibonacci" atomizers he's said run slightly cooler but were mainly chosen/intended to match the Golden Ratio theme of the PW.

SSOD

Mar 23, 2010
Owasso, OK
got in 2 over a week ago an love them, cant use anything else with my 905. my adapter went bad that came with my 905 (purchased else were 3 weeks ago) ordered 3 more with a 901 to 501 adapter from nhaler last thursday and now its wed. and still havent gotten it! I think our USPS sucks in Oklahoma.
Cant wait to get the adapter because I have to take 3 of my wifes 510 batt to work with me but they do work on the standard 510 batt if you dont mind the batt dieing in an hour. I have to have the stronger vap and the standard 510 atty wont satisfy me now that I have the LR 510!!!!

been using the same one for about 2 week and havent had any problems.:thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread