How do you feel about companies ripping off the Coily tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Pok

Sep 12, 2018
I got a Serpent Elevate the other day and I have to say that their coily tool rip-off is quite handy. I’ve always used the handle on my Coil jig to measure off ‘drop in’ coils but I find this to be easier. I probably would have never bought the Coily anyway but I certainly can’t justify dropping $11 (plus tax and s/h) for one now. Mike Vapes said that SMM didn’t want Wotofo to package that in. He wanted the little bar tool. I’ve seen other companies with these knockoffs being packed in. How do you all feel about this? Does bother you? Could you care less?

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Chinese counerfiets?

Say it aint soooooo.

A friend of mine designs and builds stuff in China. He was designing an item largely in secret and had heard of a really good craftsman in a small village there. Turns out the guy was making counterfiet stuff in small batches that were better than the original items (that my friend had designed originally)

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I have a Chinese coily knock off in the mail.

Why? Because I can’t get in the Facebook X1s and because they’re not sold here yet. (Recently there was a Canadian retailer that was designated to carry them but hasn’t received any to sell yet.)

I’ll buy a real one once it becomes easier to get one.

We always talk about people buying clones because of cost. But in a lot of cases it's because of availability. I think the coily is $11? The Chinese knock off was $3. I would have bought a real one for $8 more if it was just as easy to get.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Why would anyone care either way? It's just a cheap plastic tool. Convienient and easy to use but not genius level innovation imo.
Agreed. Chinese e-cig manufacturers have been ripping off each other's intellectual property since the eGo. I don't think they even bother to patent their stuff any more because the government seems to encourage counterfeiters.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The Coily is convenient and cheap. But it's not tough to make, and the price is certainly low, but if the creator can't get it distributed while the knockoffs have no problem getting them out, the creator has some flaws in their business plan. A limited edition high priced item like a tank doesn't really have much to worry about as they sell out regardless and many clone buyers would have never been in their market to begin with. This is a cheap plastic item. I don't understand why the Coily people have had such a tough time getting it sold all over the place. A missed opportunity on their part. That said, I still don't have an original or fake as I can cut for postless decks without it.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
The Coily is convenient and cheap. But it's not tough to make, and the price is certainly low, but if the creator can't get it distributed while the knockoffs have no problem getting them out, the creator has some flaws in their business plan. A limited edition high priced item like a tank doesn't really have much to worry about as they sell out regardless and many clone buyers would have never been in their market to begin with. This is a cheap plastic item. I don't understand why the Coily people have had such a tough time getting it sold all over the place. A missed opportunity on their part. That said, I still don't have an original or fake as I can cut for postless decks without it.

I think it's because they were originally 3D printed. They take a while to print, and making $5-10 each and having to fund, what I am guessing, $500-2000 for a printer makes it hard to scale. It's not like he's making billetboxes and selling them for nearly $300. The price is simply too low.

Last I heard he was getting another version made using injection molding (in China). Makes more sense. Would cost less than a dollar per unit and could sell for 10* the cost. Could get thousands of them made per batch. I think he's selling them now but they're also way too slow getting to store.

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2018
3CB21A28-B2DE-45C0-BD09-26394A2A7D54.jpeg
Just buy this. It’s a different shape so it doesn’t count.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Agreed. Chinese e-cig manufacturers have been ripping off each other's intellectual property since the eGo. I don't think they even bother to patent their stuff any more because the government seems to encourage counterfeiters.
They don’t seem to to me. The problem is China is a very large country with a fairly small government. Laws are followed more strictly in core cities, but outside of them there is little or no legal oversite. As a result it is trivially easy to arrange to be lost in the shuffle.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Have a bunch of coilers and they work reasonably well with thick straight wire. But you can wind a reasonably well formed, i.e. bent as opposed to strained, close contact or spaced coil just with finger pressure as you turn with an ordinary cheap instrument screwdriver. They do come with really neat standard size bit collections tho. So there's something.

To get elegantly precise standard true contact (or closed) micro coils you need to wind with strain (tension). That too is cheap, and predictably repeatable.

Good luck and Happy Holidays. :)

Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step.
Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!
Protank Cotton Rebuild, the way I do it

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I think it's because they were originally 3D printed. They take a while to print, and making $5-10 each and having to fund, what I am guessing, $500-2000 for a printer makes it hard to scale. It's not like he's making billetboxes and selling them for nearly $300. The price is simply too low.

Last I heard he was getting another version made using injection molding (in China). Makes more sense. Would cost less than a dollar per unit and could sell for 10* the cost. Could get thousands of them made per batch. I think he's selling them now but they're also way too slow getting to store.

3D nylon printing something that can be made in a mold for less than $0.05 in batches of thousands??

Yeah, that's a losing business model. Now the best he can hope for us the next batch can sell relying on the "from the original Coily company".

And forget ever getting $10 on that when widely available now that multiple knock offs are already out there.

Could try to get "innovative" by making it from polycarbonate so you can "see" through when cutting the legs to save you a step in flipping it over to look where your wire clipper should be.

Granted, that'll be knocked off with a few weeks but at least he could get some brand recognition and try to build consumer loyalty (a freebie for all the original high priced buyers maybe?) so he San get some sales out of it. But let's face it, he'll probably end up competing with the same company making them for him selling it through FT.

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
3D nylon printing something that can be made in a mold for less than $0.05 in batches of thousands??

Yeah, that's a losing business model. Now the best he can hope for us the next batch can sell relying on the "from the original Coily company".

And forget ever getting $10 on that when widely available now that multiple knock offs are already out there.

Could try to get "innovative" by making it from polycarbonate so you can "see" through when cutting the legs to save you a step in flipping it over to look where your wire clipper should be.

Granted, that'll be knocked off with a few weeks but at least he could get some brand recognition and try to build consumer loyalty (a freebie for all the original high priced buyers maybe?) so he San get some sales out of it. But let's face it, he'll probably end up competing with the same company making them for him selling it through FT.
u can't even call it knock off, no patent, copy right n so on, but definitely fail business ....

raqball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2010
Coily tool is not a need, I only have one because it came with the elevate. I appreciate it but doubt that I would have bought one.

Agree! And after you've snipped the legs a few times using the tool you don't really even need it anymore as you can snip the leg length off of memory...

One came with my Elevate as well and I used it twice. Now I can just eyeball length, snip and it's good to go! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread