How do you guys and girls do your diy mixing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I was wondering if you folk mix any differently to how I do it and if so why?
    I make my mixes all in one go i.e add nicotine, then flavour concentrate, then PG and then VG. Once done, give it a good shake and then steep.
    I've heard that others pre mix the PG, VG and Nic then store until your ready to add flavour at a later date.
    How do you do it?

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 29, 2015
    I was wondering if you folk mix any differently to how I do it and if so why?
    I make my mixes all in one go i.e add nicotine, then flavour concentrate, then PG and then VG. Once done, give it a good shake and then steep.
    I've heard that others pre mix the PG, VG and Nic then store until your ready to add flavour at a later date.
    How do you do it?

I mix by weight with a scale. I don't pre-mix the VG, PG and nic, but I know many people do. I just do it all at one mixing session. Then I steep and vape. Have you seen our DIY eliquid sub-forum? It's fine to post this here, but you might find more mixers in the DIY section. You can either create a thread there or you can post your question to the Random DIY Mixing and More thread. I'll link you to both below.

Random DIY mixing and More

DIY E-Liquid

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal

That's how I do it. :)

Easy and I often vape unflavored or barely flavored mixes, so this is the best way for me. I have a bottle of unflavored ready to go and either add a bit of flavoring to it or not.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    Lately I'm mixing one liter batches of 50/50 pg/vg plus 12mg nic. A digital kitchen scale is accurate enough for 1 liter batches. Usually I also add flavor since I've been vaping only one flavor at only 1%. I measure the flavoring with a graduated glass cylinder because it's usually 10 ml or less. Inspired buy a comment above may be next time I'll leave out the flavoring and play with some I've had kicking around for years and never used. With only slight flavoring there's no palatte fatigue so don't feel a need for a variety. Makes life simpler.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    I do pretty much what everyone who already posted does. Always have premixed nic, vg, pg ready. Pour what I need into bottles and add flavors as needed per recipes. I also vape flavorless. Use a scale.

I don't shake manually. That is a royal PIA. Found the Badger 121 Mixer works best for me. One to two minutes w/the mixer, cap it and let it sit. The Badger mixer can be had for ~10USD, shop around. There are other decent mixer's out there that will do the same.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    My method:
    scientist.jpg

Using a scale, I mix straight into the 60ml bottle. VG first, then Nic, then flavours and top it off with PG. I then shake the living .... out of it :D

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I make my mixes all in one go i.e add nicotine, then flavour concentrate, then PG and then VG.

I make all of mine like you do, including the same order of ingredients...always have. I know that at least 6 other ECF members I've taught to DIY, do it that way, too.

Redbird11

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2020
    Missouri, USA
    Now I have only been doing the DIY thing for a couple of weeks. But I prefer doing flavors first, then adding everything else. I figure if I screw up the pouring the flavoring, it is easier to dump and start over. I would rather dump flavor than the nicotine. And I also use a scale. Then I shake it like a Polaroid picture.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015

To me, at least for those who say they measure by weight with scales....that method above doesn't support the claim that "measuring by weight is more accurate than by volume." ;)

Many flavorings are in a PG base, some are in VG, some in ethyl alcohol. Also, every recipe doesn't call for the same total amount of flavoring. So, how "accurate" can the resulting eliquid actually be, doing it that way?

Last edited:

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    When I do flavoured mixes there is some sense of order but I dont do flavours much anymore.

Ive been baking a fruit and nut bar each week for about 8yrs. I used to adhere strictly to the recipe but over time I came to understand I could substitute ingredients and mess around with quantities and still end up with a good tasting bake. Same with bread, it can be quite forgiving as long as you dont step to far outside some fundamental parameters, and while the results arent always the same theyre never bad.
    I apply the same principles I use for baking and cooking to making flavoured ejuice and it seems to work for me. Nothing has tasted bad, just slightly different to the last batch.

Now I vape unflavoured 99% of the time its generally, 1ml nic, 2ml dw, 27ml vg, see ya sometime next week.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I mix by weight with a scale. I don't pre-mix the VG, PG and nic, but I know many people do. I just do it all at one mixing session. Then I steep and vape. Have you seen our DIY Eliquid sub-forum? It's fine to post this here, but you might find more mixers in the DIY section. You can either create a thread there or you can post your question to the Random DIY Mixing and More thread. I'll link you to both below.

Random DIY mixing and More

DIY E-Liquid
    Thanks. I have come across those sub forums and wasnt sure where I should put it.
    I mix by weight only now, have done for quite a while now. I've never pre mixed but read that some people do. Wondered if there was any advantage or benefit of doing it that way.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    That's how I do it. :)

Easy and I often vape unflavored or barely flavored mixes, so this is the best way for me. I have a bottle of unflavored ready to go and either add a bit of flavoring to it or not.
    When you add the flavouring to your pre mixed juice, do you vape it straight away or let it steep,

Reactions: Katya
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread