How do you know if the carto is going bad in an M&P tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dekalbave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA, United States
I've been using a 3.0 mini sub tank for about a month now. Suddenly, the juice isn't tasting quite right. I can't really put my finger on it, but it's different. Now I realize it could just be the juice changing a bit over time, so I was wondering if there are any common "symptoms" that your tank carto needs to be changed out with a new one?

TIA.

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Frank's ford, in the Caintuck
I don't know how long you've been vaping and/or using cartos, but the same criteria applies for cartos in a tank as for cartos "on their own." If you're used to using cartos and have a way to decide when to change to a new one then go with that.

If you're new enough to cartos in general that you don't have a criteria yet, I've seen flavour drop-off listed by a lot of people--drop-off in flavour, vapour production, harder to draw through, &c. Basically, imo, it's just "once it doesn't work as well as a new one."

If the flavour is just "not quite right" but there's been no other changes, then it may just be the juice (or your taste buds) changing. On the other hand, a month seems to be about the average I've seen of people changing their tank cartos so it well could be time. Only thing I can think to suggest is to try a new carto--if the flavour goes back to normal then throw this one away and if the flavour tastes the same in the new one then just give this one a hot rinse (or quick boil) and save it to go back to later...

dekalbave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2011
If it's starting to go burnt then you could try to clean it, but I personally don't think it would be worth the effort since you've already got a month out of it...

Yes, I agree. Anyway, a month is a heck of a long time to get out of a carto, at least from everything I've read. So I changed it, following the method shown in PBusardo's video. I let my cartos wick up for a while though, especially when the juice is 50/50 PG/VG. So we'll see....

EDIT: So I managed to change it without causing any leaking. The vapor production is greatly increased over the old carto, but it still tastes almost the same, with the burnt flavor gone.
Maybe my tastebuds aren't working so great tonight? All in all, I think it was worth doing though.

Last edited:

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Are you vaping the tank dry before adding more juice? If you are adding juice before the tank is empty you may be "contaminating" your juice with the previous fill.

I noticed as I vaped that the lower the juice got in the tank the darker it got. I think it's a matter of either the heated/burned juice from the coil working its way back into the tank or the juice in the tank getting heated and slowly cooking over time. Anyway, as I added juice to the tank (before the tank ran out) I could see the dark layer at the bottom in the beginning but it eventually blended into the new juice. After doing this three or four times I got curious about it so I changed cartos and cleaned the tank, and the flavour was fantastic--it seems it was slowly "fading out" and I hadn't noticed. Now I vape the tank dry and don't add more juice until the carto would need refilling (without the tank). I think this may cut down on the life of the carto a bit but the flavour seems to be fresh again every time I fill it...

dekalbave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2011
As a matter of fact, I have not been vaping the tank dry. And I know that dark layer of juice at the bottom of the tank which you referred to. What you say makes a lot of sense, so I'm going to try doing that and see if I get that "fresh juice" taste whenever I refill it.

Thanks very much for the tip!

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
I hope it works for you--I know it helps me out.

And a carto of a drastically different flavor (not a tank, but more than just a couple of drags) helps a lot for me when my flavour's starting to bland-out. I usually use something strong, distinctive and "clean" like a spearmint or lemon. They're traditional between-course palette-cleansers anyway, so I've got history on my side there ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread