How do you make notes for your recipes/flavors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
How do you deal with the versioning of your derivations/improvement recipes, do you append a number to the title?
Yes, but within the recipe number by adding an alphabetic to the existing number.
"#152 CA Sugar Biscuit" <----------original recipe untouched
"#152A CA Sugar Biscuit" <----------- an attempt to improve with it's own rating and comments
ie, A,B,C etc... .
Note:
CA Sugar Cookie is a one of the primary flavors within the mix/title. Sugar Biscuit is used to differentiate from just a Cookie single/standalone recipe.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
i'm a programmer so i'm used to making my own tools, it's easier to organize and search,
Now I am embarrassed; I feel like I am trying to teach my Grand Mother how to clip coupons. I know best to nothing about computers, and software development. :laugh:
and being a novice it's always changing,
I have been strictly DIYing since mid 2013, and I am still constantly changing the way I do just about everything. If you get set in all ways, for more than 6 months, you are going to have to teach me! :D
The form was what i went with first, but is too restrictive, i have to make things a certain way and being a novice it's always changing, so i scraped it and went with a single note field with a score field attached to my flavors/recipes. But i'm going to use your idea of the templates.
For unrestrictive, I can't think of anything free-er (is that a word?:facepalm:), than a single field. A simple set of copy & paste bullet points, to make sure you address all areas of interest, could well be adequate.
I heard about it yes, but i'm using linux, it's a pain to run windows files in linux, maybe i'll try it on my wife's laptop ;).
Actually, there are several, on the thread I previously linked, who run it on Linux... without issue it seems. You would have to refer to the thread (and feel free to tag any of the commentators) to see how they did it. As I recall, one or two of them, gave rather detailed instructions. A search for "Linux," and restricting the search to that thread only, should make it pretty quick to find.

If you need assistance, tag me, and I will holler at the rest of the herd. :D
Don't be modest, tell me honestly, in the above quote, where do you stop seeing someone wise? ;)

Thanks Again.
Wisdom (to me), comes not only from knowledge, but also a wide range of experience. I have average to slightly-above-average knowledge, but my experience is very limited (by my measure; and nobody can tell me different). Put me in a bathtub (my own DIYing) and I can swim with the best of them. Put me in the middle of the ocean (everybody else's DIY experiences); and I would likely drown before I lost sight of shore.

I am not being humble; just honest. I know I am a capable mixer for my own needs... and even a friend or two. However, I am never going to start my own YouTube channel, give solicited reviews, or sell my own product line. I am fine with that.:)

I will try to help where I can; with the limited experience I have. Keep my mouth shut when I can't. Use liberal doses of "I don't know;" whenever applicable. Always keep my ears open. And, try to learn something new every day.
If I can keep doing that; I count myself lucky. :toast:

jusu

Jul 18, 2018
Yes, but within the recipe number by adding an alphabetic to the existing number.
"#152A CA Sugar Biscuit" <----------- an attempt to improve with it's own rating and comments
ie, A,B,C etc... .
Note:
CA Sugar Cookie is a one of the primary flavors within the mix/title. Sugar Biscuit is used to differentiate from just a Cookie single/standalone recipe.
I see, that's a great system, really easy to order and in a glance know the evolution of a recipe. Thank you very much BrotherBob for all your knowledge.

Just another question, do you ever trash the notes for failed recipes? The way i'm doing it is i'm not allowed to delete a recipe, ever, so i can look back and learn from it.

jusu

Jul 18, 2018
Now I am embarrassed; I feel like I am trying to teach my Grand Mother how to clip coupons. I know best to nothing about computers, and software development. :laugh:

I have been strictly DIYing since mid 2013, and I am still constantly changing the way I do just about everything. If you get set in all ways, for more than 6 months, you are going to have to teach me! :D

For unrestrictive, I can't think of anything free-er (is that a word?:facepalm:), than a single field. A simple set of copy & paste bullet points, to make sure you address all areas of interest, could well be adequate.

Actually, there are several, on the thread I previously linked, who run it on Linux... without issue it seems. You would have to refer to the thread (and feel free to tag any of the commentators) to see how they did it. As I recall, one or two of them, gave rather detailed instructions. A search for "Linux," and restricting the search to that thread only, should make it pretty quick to find.

If you need assistance, tag me, and I will holler at the rest of the herd. :D

Wisdom (to me), comes not only from knowledge, but also a wide range of experience. I have average to slightly-above-average knowledge, but my experience is very limited (by my measure; and nobody can tell me different). Put me in a bathtub (my own DIYing) and I can swim with the best of them. Put me in the middle of the ocean (everybody else's DIY experiences); and I would likely drown before I lost sight of shore.

I am not being humble; just honest. I know I am a capable mixer for my own needs... and even a friend or two. However, I am never going to start my own YouTube channel, give solicited reviews, or sell my own product line. I am fine with that.:)

I will try to help where I can; with the limited experience I have. Keep my mouth shut when I can't. Use liberal doses of "I don't know;" whenever applicable. Always keep my ears open. And, try to learn something new every day.
If I can keep doing that; I count myself lucky. :toast:
IDJoel, Thank you so much for the time you're spending with a newbie like me, and not only you, but all of the people that took the time to comment and share their own experience, i'm feeling very lucky to be a part (even though i'm at the very bottom of the pyramid) of this great community, and i assure you that i'll do my best to help the community (how?, i'm not sure yet, but i'll find a way).

I have so much to learn yet, so much to experience and perhaps, someday, i can be where you all are, helping others with my knowledge, albeit, always lacking, but sincere and with best intentions at its core.

IDJoel, when i go through your comments i always listen Gandalf reading back your text :)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Just another question, do you ever trash the notes for failed recipes? The way i'm doing it is i'm not allowed to delete a recipe, ever, so i can look back and learn from it.
No. I always review the primary flavor past (95% or more of my recipe mixes are failures) mixes before I do a similar recipe with a particular primary flavor in mind.

jusu

Jul 18, 2018
No. I always review the primary flavor past (95% or more of my recipe mixes are failures) mixes before I do a similar recipe with a particular primary flavor in mind.
It makes sense, since i haven't done too many recipes then i'm still not at the point of too much garbage. Thank you very much BrotherBob.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
IDJoel, Thank you so much for the time you're spending with a newbie like me, and not only you, but all of the people that took the time to comment and share their own experience, i'm feeling very lucky to be a part (even though i'm at the very bottom of the pyramid) of this great community, and i assure you that i'll do my best to help the community (how?, i'm not sure yet, but i'll find a way).

I have so much to learn yet, so much to experience and perhaps, someday, i can be where you all are, helping others with my knowledge, albeit, always lacking, but sincere and with best intentions at its core.

IDJoel, when i go through your comments i always listen Gandalf reading back your text :)
:lol::lol::lol:
I only wish I had Ian McKellen's voice! :D

Glad to have you as part of this wonderful community!!:thumbs:

Don't worry about giving back; opportunities will appear before you realize.

And, as for gaining experience... everybody is different. First, and foremost, is how proficient one even wants to become. Some folks merely want to learn how to consistently make a small handfuls of recipes that will keep them off the stinkies. They may have neither the time, and/or inclination to go any farther. That is just perfect for them. Others, find mixing becoming a long-term hobby (or even obsession :facepalm::laugh:), that will occupy them for the rest of their lives. And, that is a great thing too.

Everybody learns at different rates. There are many mixers, that have been mixing only a year (or even less), that are far more successful and knowledgeable than me. They have caught on faster, understood better, invested more time, took bigger risks, and/or just had more natural talent. A year ago I was helping them with simple basic ideas and skills. And, today, I am learning new techniques, and ideas from them... on a weekly, even daily, basis. I love it!:D:thumbs::D

But, you are right; ECF is a wonderful community. Even though each of our journeys are unique, and therefore solitary; when we share them here, we can encourage, edify, and empathize, one another and not feel all alone.
Enjoy the ride!:toast:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I need to ask Dave about it. There might be a different way to store them on there just so it doesnt revert back to the way it is when you first load it.

I'm pretty sure there is, at least as far as your recipes go. I use(d) my desktop and my laptop with the same files from the desktop with both EJMU and JC. EJMU on the laptop just knows to look in the last place. I don't think it would care where that place is even if it's on "the cloud" like Dropbox.

capthook

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
North Carolina
I use 2 ways:

Primary -> Excel spreadsheet - and sort by flavor type and my 'rank' for it.
upload_2018-8-4_19-45-52.png

2nd -> notes in 'Juice Calculator' New Calculator to try
Amazing calculator.
Notes in the flavor section:
upload_2018-8-4_19-40-49.png

and notes in the recipe section:
upload_2018-8-4_19-41-56.png

These are more useful when creating new mixes.
Like BrotherBob, each new mix is a new numerical (or alpha) order:
100 Blueberry, 102 Blueberry etc.
And the notes section has the changes and thoughts on each.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-4_19-37-59.png
    upload_2018-8-4_19-37-59.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

jusu

Jul 18, 2018
I use 2 ways:

Primary -> Excel spreadsheet - and sort by flavor type and my 'rank' for it.
View attachment 758707

2nd -> notes in 'Juice Calculator' New Calculator to try
Amazing calculator.
Notes in the flavor section:
View attachment 758703

and notes in the recipe section:
View attachment 758705
These are more useful when creating new mixes.
Like BrotherBob, each new mix is a new numerical (or alpha) order:
100 Blueberry, 102 Blueberry etc.
And the notes section has the changes and thoughts on each.
capthook, thank you for taking the time to make the screenshots, the calculator really looks amazing, thank you also for explaining your method.

I'm doing something in the line of what you are doing, the notes on the flavors individually and on the recipes. I will emulate BrotherBob's and yours versioning method.

Great stuff.

jusu

Jul 18, 2018
:lol::lol::lol:
I only wish I had Ian McKellen's voice! :D

Glad to have you as part of this wonderful community!!:thumbs:

Don't worry about giving back; opportunities will appear before you realize.

And, as for gaining experience... everybody is different. First, and foremost, is how proficient one even wants to become. Some folks merely want to learn how to consistently make a small handfuls of recipes that will keep them off the stinkies. They may have neither the time, and/or inclination to go any farther. That is just perfect for them. Others, find mixing becoming a long-term hobby (or even obsession :facepalm::laugh:), that will occupy them for the rest of their lives. And, that is a great thing too.

Everybody learns at different rates. There are many mixers, that have been mixing only a year (or even less), that are far more successful and knowledgeable than me. They have caught on faster, understood better, invested more time, took bigger risks, and/or just had more natural talent. A year ago I was helping them with simple basic ideas and skills. And, today, I am learning new techniques, and ideas from them... on a weekly, even daily, basis. I love it!:D:thumbs::D

But, you are right; ECF is a wonderful community. Even though each of our journeys are unique, and therefore solitary; when we share them here, we can encourage, edify, and empathize, one another and not feel all alone.
Enjoy the ride!:toast:
Talking about pumping someone to do better. I don't plan on becoming a guru or anything like that, but i owe this community the passion that they helped ignite for this art.

I've known you for so little time and i feel like home here.

Thank you.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
suprtrkr, not all calculators have a save function?
No idea. I only ever used the one.I do not pursue juice making as a hobby or chase new flavors. I make juice to have juice. The first calculator I tried suited my needs and ability and I have never tried another. But that one has a save function :)

jusu

Jul 18, 2018
No idea. I only ever used the one.I do not pursue juice making as a hobby or chase new flavors. I make juice to have juice. The first calculator I tried suited my needs and ability and I have never tried another. But that one has a save function :)
heh! i see, great that you found the perfect tool in your first try :).

Reactions: stols001

capthook

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
North Carolina
ie, A,B,C etc... .

I like your idea of appending the mix # with a letter versus just #'s.
Thanks!

Clark Kent

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2014
Metropolis Il.
I have been mixing quite a while now and have found that when I am down in the "LAB" I just use the same way I started with a pen and memo note book, I have 4 now, that I guard very well I use a scale so I write down everything essential to the recipe, bottle size, flavor weights, nicotine, Date, and so on, and also supply notes on what is right or wrong with each recipe, now granted I usually do a single flavor test on new flavors first, before using it in a recipe, after that if it is something I would make again or do a larger batch of, I load it into ELR and use the calculations that I have on paper and keep it there for modifications and print it out with notes for my most used bottle sizes, then print it out and put those in a folder also, if your really want too you could organize by date or name from there, I always like to have a paper and computer storage of all my must haves now I have 3 forms of back up, original notes, printed recipes and recipes backed up with ELR, many also use All the Flavors or ejuice me up. I just like and an use to the free ELR site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread