How do YOU test DIY flavors? Help me, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a terrible time finding a way to "test" my DIY vapes. Of course, in the very beginning they were horrible because I was using waaaay too much flavoring (I have LorAnn and TFA). I've read all Hoosier's stuff, Danny's stuff, every thread on here about mixing and testing. I now have several single flavors in 3ml bottles that have steeped at least 3 days, a few for longer.

I bought a mechanical mod SOLELY for the purpose of being able to drip a little to test the flavor. But I'm finding that the slightest PG in the mix is really harsh to me and I end up coughing. But I don't want to make pure VG juice because my husband and I both use ProTanks, Kayfuns and Evods when we aren't at home (i.e, at work, in the car, etc.) Much more convenient when on the go!

I read somewhere that you could use a 510 atty to test and "clean" the coil with VG burn off/vaping before the next flavor. I tried this last night and everything tasted, bitter. Not burnt, but just bitter and horrible. These juices were at 2-3% flavor. Then I realized that even my yummy OTC (over-the-counter) juice tasted that way, too. Did I completely misunderstand? I'm assuming my tanks are 510?

What am I missing? Where can I get more education about various atomizers (or how NOT use them) to test? I'm so frustrated because after two weeks of trying to mix my own, I have come up with nothing even remotely vapable (I know, new word!)

Please, God, someone point me in the right direction. (Please don't refer me to the stickies...I've read, printed, underlined and put in a notebook all of them!) There must be something basic that I'm just not understanding.
ANY advice would be much appreciated :)

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I usually use one of Ikenvape's I06's, but sometimes use an HH.357.

They have all been blown out, primed, and broken in. Which is habit because neither one if them needs to be blown out. I suppose I could just prime and break in, but old habits die hard and I remember the horrid taste of the 510 atty's that had to be blown out before I knew to get the gunk out before use.

Priming is plain PG. Breaking in is just vaping some plain PG until it goes taste neutral.

There is a great blog called, Drip Drip Drip by Ocelot that gives some great detail on dripping.

Stuff that old timers who had to deal with cartridges had to figure out long ago when dinosaurs roamed the wasteland and a tank was something the military used to tear up grassland, clearo's were an odd way if referring to a window, and carto's tasted like spinach can lids only with more plastic-y notes.

Kids today?
Sent by big fingers on a tiny phone via Tapatalk

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
I mix with VG, flavor, distilled water and VG nic. Most of those mixing without PG use 10-20% distilled water to thin their juices. Try various percentages to see what works best for you (varies based on VG and nic brands, equipment, etc.). However, around 20% you should have no problems with wicking on your tanks (assuming clean wicks...). You'll want to buy distilled water rather than using tap water due to chloride, minerals, etc. Enjoy and good luck.

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
I think if you were to go to maybe a 25/75 (pg/vg) ratio, you could drip test, and still work ok in the tanks you mentioned. I have moved away from tanks completely, but a few guys I work with get my juices and use them in KayFuns and PT3s. I mix mostly 20/80. Alot of mine, the only PG in the mix is the flavor which is PG based.

As a side question, are you leaving the caps and tips off of the bottles for a day or so after mixing? LA and TFA both tend to have a chemical taste when freshly mixed, and need a good 24-48 hours breathing time for it to go away. Breathing is just as important as steeping.

As a side question, are you leaving the caps and tips off of the bottles for a day or so after mixing? LA and TFA both tend to have a chemical taste when freshly mixed, and need a good 24-48 hours breathing time for it to go away. Breathing is just as important as steeping.

No, I have not left the tops off. I'll try that. Thanks!

And thanks Hoosier for the blog reference - I'm headed there now!

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
No, I have not left the tops off. I'll try that. Thanks!

And thanks Hoosier for the blog reference - I'm headed there now!

What I tend to do is "speed steep" a bit after mixing. Turn on the kitchen sink as hot as you can get it, place a cup under the water, and put the bottle in there with the faucet wide open for about 10 minutes. (if you have a wife, she will constantly yell at you for leaving the water on :D ) The heat will thin it out for better mixing, and the water constantly running bounces the bottle around shaking and mixing the juice. After about 10 minutes or so, take the bottle out, give it a good shake, and pop the cap and tip out over a night or two. Then steep as you wish.

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
What Hoosier said is always spot on. The HH.357 is the king of dripping attys in my opinion. Alternatively you can just look for.a vendor that sells a "bridgeless 510" atty as well. I use those for testing purposes and swear by them.

I am usually 80% VG for all my testing, and my daily vapes. Im not sure why you feel you cant use high VG in a tank. I run all kinds of tanks, and rba's with mesh, silica, cotton... never had an issue except when I first started mixing. I literally thought everything I made wouldnt wick. I spent weeks figuring out what percentages would work. 80%VG/20% everything else works. Lately Ive even bumped it to 85%VG with good success. The 20% everything else is a combination of any additives to your juice. Flavorings, sweeteners, and any distilled water. I might have 3% flavoring and 17% distilled water. Try it, it will work for you.

Another thing to consider is what ohms is your atty and what voltage/wattage are you running? Sometimes bitterness can be created if you are either a) vaping higher ohm atty at lower voltage/wattage, OR b) cranking that voltage/wattage up too high and slightly scorching your juice. The other issues for bitterness include wicking material used.

Stacy1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Brunswick,GA,USA
I use 510 and 306 attys to test my juice and they work great. Avid vaper sells both that are good quality and decent price. There is also a guide on how to use and maintain them on the site. Dont get discouraged. Keep reading, asking questions, and trying new things. Before you know it it will all come together.

eyerhere

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2013
Warren Mi
For testing juice I build a coil on a 1/16 drill bit to what ever ohm I think I will want for the type of juice.when I attatch it ti my atty I hold it down to the deck an tighten down the screws. When I let go it will come up a little off the deck when released. Then I take a tiny bit of cotton and slide it under the coil. 3 drops is enough to soak the coil and cotton. Just a few nice hits to taste is all I need.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
When I used to vape cartos and clearos on eGo Twists and regulated mods, I used plain old 2 ohm 510 dripping attys for taste testing on the same power supplies. That worked very well for me. They are easy to flush out with water between juices and easy to use once you get the hang of them.

Your 510 attys probably need to be cleaned out to get rid of that off taste. A good flush with hot water and then vape either pg, vg or a combination until the flavor clears right out will probably do it for you. You don't have to inhale if the flavor is off.

If you want to use high vg juice and you are worried that your atty will not handle the thickness, you can always thin with distilled water. I mix 60% vg right now and typically use 4% DW. I've gone as high as 90% vg and used up to 10% DW and it was fine for me. It's easy to experiment with plain vg and water in say a Protank and see what works for you.

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Your 510 atty is a great cheap way to test your DIY juices. Here is a link to a blog that is all about dripping with those attys.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...405910-regular-atty-drippers-dying-breed.html

I use them all the time to test and just to relax and drip without having to worry about my Russian 91%. Saves on juice consumption too. The trick to them is practice.

I'm having a terrible time finding a way to "test" my DIY vapes. Of course, in the very beginning they were horrible because I was using waaaay too much flavoring (I have LorAnn and TFA). I've read all Hoosier's stuff, Danny's stuff, every thread on here about mixing and testing. I now have several single flavors in 3ml bottles that have steeped at least 3 days, a few for longer.

I bought a mechanical mod SOLELY for the purpose of being able to drip a little to test the flavor. But I'm finding that the slightest PG in the mix is really harsh to me and I end up coughing. But I don't want to make pure VG juice because my husband and I both use ProTanks, Kayfuns and Evods when we aren't at home (i.e, at work, in the car, etc.) Much more convenient when on the go!

I read somewhere that you could use a 510 atty to test and "clean" the coil with VG burn off/vaping before the next flavor. I tried this last night and everything tasted, bitter. Not burnt, but just bitter and horrible. These juices were at 2-3% flavor. Then I realized that even my yummy OTC (over-the-counter) juice tasted that way, too. Did I completely misunderstand? I'm assuming my tanks are 510?

What am I missing? Where can I get more education about various atomizers (or how NOT use them) to test? I'm so frustrated because after two weeks of trying to mix my own, I have come up with nothing even remotely vapable (I know, new word!)

Please, God, someone point me in the right direction. (Please don't refer me to the stickies...I've read, printed, underlined and put in a notebook all of them!) There must be something basic that I'm just not understanding.

wallacecarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Huntsville, Alabama

Easiest method I have found is using a dripper 28g kanthal and very small coils. Only place cotton under the coil not inside. The small diameter of the coil makes it longer and more surface area in contact with the cotton and changing cotton as you change flavor becomes quick and easy. Just pull out the old and in with the new. Don know the guage of my needle but anything close is good. This one is 12 wraps on each coil and works very well.

micromini1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread