How does the nicotine in cigarettes compare to vape oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have just gone back to vaping after smoking for a long period. I smoked the cigarettes with the highest nicotine content that I know of on the market; natural american spirit, which I guess have more nicotine than even Marlboro by far. So I bought the 9 mg vape oil to start out with. But is that less than what I was smoking? I don’t know how it all works. I guess american spirits have like 21 mg, but I don’t understand if that’s in the whole cigarette or one hit or how this all works, anyone know?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi Sarah,
Welcome to ECF.
Just a few questions to get things started.
How long did you smoke and how many per day?
Which e-cigarette device are you using?
How many ml of (9mg/ml) juice do you use in 24 hours?
And last but not least, are you in the US, Canada,UK,EU or somewhere else in the huge world of vaping?

Cheers
I

I was smoking again for a couple years. I vaped back in 2016. I smoke about 10 cigarettes per day. I actually just fully went back to vaping today. So I’m not sure how much eliquid I would burn through in 24 hours. I am trying to vape as often as I smoked and trying not to take too many hits but I’m just not sure what “too many” would really be. I smoke about a half of cigarette an hour in general so I’ve been taking about ten hits off my vape an hour. But I’m wondering if I might need more, or less, or what lol

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi Sara. Welcome to the ECF.

Cigarettes Nicotine Level is usually a Measurement of How Much Nicotine an average Smoker Absorbs when they Smoke 1 Cigarette.

So for something like an American Spirit Blue, it is rated at about 1mg. 1 American Spirit Blue = 1mg of Nicotine Absorbed by the average Smoker.

The Total Amount of Nicotine in a Cigarette is Actually Much Higher. But the Body doesn't absorb all the Nicotine when you Smoke a Cigarette.

The Nicotine in an e-Liquid is Measured Differently. e-Liquid Nicotine is the Total Amount of Nicotine that is present in 1 Milliliter of Liquid.

So a 9mg/ml e-Liquid means that Every Milliliter of Liquid contains 9mg of Nicotine.

So if you Vaped 1ml of 9mg/ml, you would be taking in 9mg of Nicotine. 3ml of 9mg/ml would be 27mg of Nicotine, 4ml = 36mg, etc.

But just like when you Smoke a Cigarette, you Don't absorb all the Nicotine you take in when you Vape. The Absorbed amount is a Lot Less.

How Much Nicotine you absorb when you Vape is dependent on a Lot of Things. Like the type of Device you use. And what Wattage your device is outputting.

The Rate of Absorption for e-Cigarettes can vary dramatically. 15% ~ 35% Absorption are not Uncommon.

Anyway... The Long and the Short of it is that it is Very Difficult to make a Direct Comparison of Nicotine rating of a Cigarette to the Nicotine Level of an e-Liquid.

You kinda just have to try an e-Liquid to tell if you are getting enough Nicotine for the e-Cigarette you are using.

And if it Not Enough, then bump Up the mg/ml level. And if it is Too Much, lower the mg/ml level.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
And I am using a Kangertech Subox Mini for vaping with a 0.5 coil in it

Without writing another Novelette like before (lol), I would say using 9mg/ml with a 0.5 Ohm Coil in your Kanger Subox kit would be a Very Reasonable place to start.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So I have just gone back to vaping after smoking for a long period. I smoked the cigarettes with the highest nicotine content that I know of on the market; natural american spirit, which I guess have more nicotine than even Marlboro by far. So I bought the 9 mg vape oil to start out with. But is that less than what I was smoking? I don’t know how it all works. I guess american spirits have like 21 mg, but I don’t understand if that’s in the whole cigarette or one hit or how this all works, anyone know?

Your 9mg vape juice isn't technically an oil, even though there's a connection to petroleum derived products if your juice contains PG (propylene glycol). Vape juice components are water soluble. Oil generally isn't.

The nicotine level in vape juice is expressed as x mg per milliliter. So, your juice would be 9 milligrams per milliliter or 9mg/ml nicotine. Your vape is probably providing less nicotine than your cigarettes, depending on how much juice you vape in a day compared to how many cigs you smoked.

Lots of new vapers use 18mg, 24mg, and higher nic levels when they are trying to give up smoking. As you kick the cigs away, you will find that you can eventually begin to lower the nic in your vape and find a nic level that satisfies your vaping needs. Lots of us have moved downward in nic to 3mg or 6mg nic strength.

How Many MG of Nicotine Is in a Cigarette? | VaporFi

Generally, a standard cigarette contains anywhere between 8 and 20 milligrams of nicotine, with a full pack containing up to 400 milligrams. The human body only absorbs about 1 milligram of that per cigarette.

Last edited:

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Welcome Sarah

I think that 9mg/ml is going to be a bit low for you as you were used to quite strong tobacco. My advice would be to start at 18mg/ml and see how it goes...

Your main aim here is to stop the craving for cigarettes and if your eliquid strength is too low you will find yourself chain vaping to try and satisfy the urge.

I was quite a heavy smoker (30 per day) and I found 18mg/ml essential :)
Good luck to you.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Welcome, Sarah- I wouldn't worry about doing math to quit smoking. Nicotine has very little to do with why it's difficult to quit, especially after time has passed. You can feel the nicotine, and lack of it however. Best advice I can give is to just vape when you feel you "need" to. And if you don't feel like you're getting enough, you can up the nicotine content in your liquid. And I wouldn't worry about vaping too much nicotine - it's not the scary toxic part of smoking. I equate it to something like caffeine, and in moderation may actually have health benefits. No matter how you do it, vaping is better than smoking!

But a big part of this will be how you vape - if you are vaping like a typical smoker, mouth to lung (MTL), that's different that taking big hits, pulling it directly to your lungs (DTL). For most people quitting with an mtl setup, traditionally 12-20mg ejuice is recommended.

Tell us what kind of equipment and juice you're using, and others will give you some good advice.[edit- sorry, you already had, and I hadn't refreshed my screen] And by the way, American Spirit (my old brand) doesn't have significantly more nicotine than Marlboro. Most of the full flavored, non-light cigarettes have about 1mg. But as Zoid pointed out, it gets into your system in a totally different way when vaping compared to burning tobacco. Here's a link that shows typical brands' nic and tar levels. Not totally accurate, but representative.How much nicotine is in one cigarette? – Rien Pipe – Stop smoking, while smoking

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Right now I am vaping at 45 watts because I wasn’t getting good flavor. But it hasn’t improved said flavor much.

How do you feel Nicotine Craving wise? Good enough to put the Cigarettes down?

Because getting Better Flavor can be a Quest in and of itself.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
My 2 cents... every device/juice combo will have its own sweet spot, and no two vapers will agree what that is, exactly.

You’ll know you’re getting the right amount of nic when you don’t need to chain vape, but also don’t get a nic headache.

And we could speculate how much you got smoking vs the coil, tank, mod, juice etc. till the cows come home, but really there is no math to nail it with any precision.

Just start with what you have for now. As for your flavor, well yes you may get better flavor at higher/ lower watts, a different ohm coil, different tank, etc, but also maybe it’s not that great a flavor, but most likely all juice is going to taste not so great until your tastebuds recover a bit.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
My 2 cents... every device/juice combo will have its own sweet spot, and no two vapers will agree what that is, exactly.

You’ll know you’re getting the right amount of nic when you don’t need to chain vape, but also don’t get a nic headache.

And we could speculate how much you got smoking vs the coil, tank, mod, juice etc. till the cows come home, but really there is no math to nail it with any precision.

Just start with what you have for now. As for your flavor, well yes you may get better flavor at higher/ lower watts, a different ohm coil, different tank, etc, but also maybe it’s not that great a flavor, but most likely all juice is going to taste not so great until your tastebuds recover a bit.

Sarah, Delores precisely hit the nail on the head.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I feel pretty good craving wise this morning. I flushed the last of my cigs last night and I’ve done pretty well all morning.

Good Deal Sarah!

Drink a Lot of Water and finds things to Keep You Busy.

And if a Crazy Urge hits to "Just have One Cigarette", resist it like your Life Depended on it. Because in the Grand Scheme of things... It Kinda Does.

Thanks everyone I actually just posted another thread on how to possibly get better flavor so hopefully that helps. I just remember my old Kangertech having a much better flavor with the same vape juice but that was back in 2016 so who knows if the vape juice went downhill or Kangertech did or what.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Welcome - I have to say as one who smoked strong tobaccos for more than 50 years that I think 9 strength may be a little on the low side.

I'd say, it'd be well worth trying at least 12 strength and if that doesn't do it going on to 16 or even 18 for a bit. Once the mind is no longer fixated on smoking, cigarettes and tobacco and you are actually enjoying vaping per se then that's the time to look at dropping the nic level.

What worked for me was 18 strength in a tank with a 1.6 ohm coil running at 8 watts btw!

All that said - you have done the hard thing and taken the first step - well done you and more power to your elbow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread