How I Almost Caused an 'Incident' with my Ecig...

Status
Not open for further replies.

heroinesick

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Louisville, KY
This has the possibility of running long, so I apologize in advance.

Last week, my company sent me to from Louisville, KY to Denver, CO for training for 2.5 days. I was VERY excited to go since I've never been to CO before and it's an hour and a half from Estes Park and The Stanley Hotel. ( this is a side note. I went there and it is AWESOME. If you're a Stephen King fan, it's a must see!)

Before I went, I checked out alllll of the traveling posts about flying with an e-cig, and I watched GrimmGreen's video on flying with an ecig, and I was super SUPER happy that most people didn't experience any issues. I happily packed up my gear ( pretty much just how Grimm did.), got my liquids baggie, and headed for the airport.

I didn't have to check in at the desk or anything since I had checked in online, so I headed straight for security. Louisville airport is VERY, VERY small. There are only two concourses. Maybe 20 or 30 gates total. As I head up to security, there is no line whatsoever, so I grab a bin and start loading it with all the stuff that I knew needed to go in there. Put my purse in it's own seperate bin, sent my ecig and liquids bag in another bin and sent my suitcase through.

My suitcase went through fine as I was going through the metal detector. So as I get to the other side, and I'm putting my shoes on and gathering my suitcase, I noticed my purse and ecig stuff hadn't made it through. I'm looking at the guys watching the xray screen, and they call over a supervisor. So Supervisor, and two guys stand around talking quietly for a few moments, points at the screen. I'm starting to worry by this point lol. I'm, in fact, SWEATING BULLETS thinking omg they are going to think I'm some terrorist because of my PV ( I took a Vamo, 4 18650 batteries, a charger, a car charger, a charger for my ego 650 mah that I took..)So eventually, Supervisor calls over someone ELSE.. she comes over and takes a look and starts to talk quietly with the other agents. Within about 5 minutes of this, there are SEVEN TSA agents looking at my stuff with this inquisitive looks on their faces and pointing at the screen.

Then, something I totally didn't expect: They called for ANOTHER supervisor. A plainclothes TSA agent walks up and hems and haws for what felt like FOREVER, and finally he walks over to me and asks what's in the bin. I told him very candidly practically a list of what I had in there. " 4 18650 batteries, 2 extra cell phone batteries, 4 atomizer heads for my kangers, 1 vamo, 1 ego 650 mah, etc etc etc...) and my bag of charging cords that was right on top of it. He goes " ooooooooh! The way they are all stuffed into the bin, we saw a long piece of metal what appeared to be hooked up to 6 batteries of some sort with a bunch of wires!" :facepalm::facepalm:

I apologized profusely and told them no it's just a few ecigs and batteries and offered to puff on them if he liked. He said no, it was fine, but next time don't pack stuff all together like that. But what was bizarre, is on the way home in the Denver airport, I was in such a rush I just threw everything into 1 bin and sent my suitcase through, and they didn't bat an eyelash. :blink:

I was mortified. :facepalm::facepalm:

DevastationWagon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2012
South Florida
Yeah, I just went through TSA a few days ago and had no problems (Ft Laud/Hollywood to Atlanta). Pretty much the same thing as the OP, Vamo, Zmax, couple Twists, four bottles of juice, couple tanks, etc. I put the juice and tanks in a baggie and the other stuff in a large eGo case in a bin and sent it through. The guy asked me, "Are those ecigs?" I said yes and asked if he'd like to look at them. He said, "No that's fine. I can see everything." On the way back they didn't even mention anything and just let me grab my stuff and go.

A few months ago I left all the hardware in my backpack and sent it through. They didn't like that so much. Apparently the x-ray showed a big black void where all my vape gear was. They pulled me aside, had me pull everything out, and re-sent it through by itself. After that, everything was fine.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
When you get a lot of wires all jumbled together, it's really hard to see where they all go. I use a laptop case and put different cords in separate pockets. Liquids in a baggie in the bin and my PV with nova attached on top of my purse. Smaller airports don't have quite the traffic that larger ones do so they don't see as many e-cigs.

I have more problems with my iPad. Some places want it out and in a separate bin just like a laptop, while at other airports I can leave it in the laptop case :facepalm:

Don't be mortified, only be mortified if after being told, reading all the signs in line and having TSA agents walking around telling you that you have to have belts off, shoes off, pockets empty and you have to go through the detector multiple times before you get it right. :mad:
I've seen THAT happen too many times to count!

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
When you get a lot of wires all jumbled together, it's really hard to see where they all go. I use a laptop case and put different cords in separate pockets. Liquids in a baggie in the bin and my PV with nova attached on top of my purse. Smaller airports don't have quite the traffic that larger ones do so they don't see as many e-cigs.

I have more problems with my iPad. Some places want it out and in a separate bin just like a laptop, while at other airports I can leave it in the laptop case :facepalm:

Don't be mortified, only be mortified if after being told, reading all the signs in line and having TSA agents walking around telling you that you have to have belts off, shoes off, pockets empty and you have to go through the detector multiple times before you get it right. :mad:
I've seen THAT happen too many times to count!

...And sometimes pants off too, LOL!
Yep, seen that... once at Schiphol a/port... with a guy sporting heavy leathers with belts, chains, rings, zipped knurls, bolts (not rivets!) and what have u all over... with a dangling Maglite! -- I've no idea what he was upto flying like that -- but that was a scene not to be forgotten, by anyone out there that day.

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
Through out my years of going on trips, whether it is driving or flying, or whatever, I have a separate case for my charging cables. In fact, I have consolidated everything down to just a few cables. I bring the following: 2 retractable Micro USB cables, 1 ASUS Tablet cable, 1 Galaxy Tab cable1 Laptop Charger, and 2 Samsung Charging blocks which output 2A, and now an Ego Charging cable.

Devices that the wife and I bring with us:
1 Galaxy S3
1 Galaxy S2 (now Galaxy S4 as of a couple days ago)
1 Kindle
1 Transformer Prime Tablet
1 Galaxy Tab 10
2 Evics
2 Laptops
1 Ego Twist

Most everything uses Micro USB so we only need to bring 1 each. The 2 tablets will more than likely be retired for a couple of Nexus 7s which will use Micro USB so that will eliminate the other 2 cables, and we may replace the 2 of them with an additional MicroUSB. And being a Tech Geek, we have about 30 MicroUSB cables, and about that many charging blocks. This affords me the ability to stow away a special bag to store a few of the cables we need for travelling.

kamil99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Knoxville, TN
my adventures have been roadway or on foot. bouncers hovering around at bars are my cherished current memory.
i did have a cop drive up along side my car, i turned to look at the stare i felt and he was staring at more than forward. he dropped behind me and i'm assuming ran my plates. followed closely for a good few miles before finally disappearing somewhere. damn harassment and interdiction.

heroinesick

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Louisville, KY
I chock most of it to me being an inexperienced flyer. That was only my second time ever on a plane in my life, so it was mostly a bunch of "What do I do, again?" But I do have to say, the TSA agents were very nice and helpful. They did try to make it as pleasant if they possibly could, and I understand that it's just their job.

On the way home, I imagine it was because they've seen ecigarettes before, and most of them were in clear cases that you could see straight through. They were those tacklebox accessory sorters with the little plastic dividers.

I'm planning a vacation in the fall to take me and family to Florida for two weeks. THAT should be the interesting one, for many, many reasons. :)

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Have not had to fly since I was on the anime convention tour for my book, so I can't say I have any fun stories. Glad you got through it okay and I did not see you on "Morning Joe" though. I like you I don't want to have to send you a cake with a file in it, my oven is rubbish on baking.

synergis7

Quitter
Jul 13, 2012
USA
. :blink:

I was mortified. :facepalm::facepalm:

Don't be mortified. It's all good, and if it happens again you'll be much more chill, cuz you've been there.

You weren't doing anything wrong- your actions were perfectly legal under every law in this land of ours.

The problem is they made you feel like a criminal before they had any proof of wrongdoing.

It's a shame that the agencies we pay to operate with our taxes have so little respect for their clients.

heroinesick

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Louisville, KY
Have not had to fly since I was on the anime convention tour for my book, so I can't say I have any fun stories. Glad you got through it okay and I did not see you on "Morning Joe" though. I like you I don't want to have to send you a cake with a file in it, my oven is rubbish on baking.

Why, thank you!

I would've preferred a cake, though. Of the cheese variety, if you don't mind. Get to it! ->

heroinesick

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Louisville, KY
You can take eliquid? Can't you not take more than like 3ml of liquid or something? Or is it 3oz...haven't flown in years don't remember lol. And is that total or 3ml/oz in each bottle?

Yep, E-liquid was totally fine. You can pack anything under 3.4 oz into 1 quart size zipper top bag. (Incidentally, with all of my shampoo, conditioner, shaving gel, face scrub, yadda yadda yadda, I was able to pack a TON of ejuice into one of those bags. WAY WAY WAY more than I would've ever needed for 2.5 days, but I was scared to do without. I was a girl scout once. Does it show? :) )

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Yeah, I just went through TSA a few days ago and had no problems (Ft Laud/Hollywood to Atlanta). Pretty much the same thing as the OP, Vamo, Zmax, couple Twists, four bottles of juice, couple tanks, etc. I put the juice and tanks in a baggie and the other stuff in a large eGo case in a bin and sent it through. The guy asked me, "Are those ecigs?" I said yes and asked if he'd like to look at them. He said, "No that's fine. I can see everything." On the way back they didn't even mention anything and just let me grab my stuff and go.

A few months ago I left all the hardware in my backpack and sent it through. They didn't like that so much. Apparently the x-ray showed a big black void where all my vape gear was. They pulled me aside, had me pull everything out, and re-sent it through by itself. After that, everything was fine.

I was born and raised in Broward, 954 till I die!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread