how is the Golden Shimmer or RN4062 compared to the 901?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soot

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
Belfast, UK
The carts last MUCH longer - and longer than the penstyle too.

The draw is easy and the larger atomiser chamber seems to produce a better taste. It does for me anyway. This is very subjective.

Vapour is better than either my 901 or penstyle.

Battery life - better than a 901 but around the same as a pen. The difference is that Shimmer batteries are dirt cheap from DX (10440's) and a cheap charger from DX does 2 at a time. It's DX's most valuable contribution to e-cigs! :p

The Shimmer was cheaper than the 901's and pens I bought. There are other reasons to prefer a 901 or pen - but expensive battery replacements need avoided.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Off on a slight tangent.... How do the generic cigars (the shimmer etc.) compare to the Ruyan Bling? It seems that having the Ruyan kit, suitable batteries and a load of cartridges I could just buy the generic cigar body cheaply if I wanted to try it. Parts are interchangeable right?

In general I love the taste/cartridge life and build quality of the Ruyan but find it a bit of a vapour whimp, to be perfectly honest.

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
Anyone know of a place in the US to get a shimmer?
its just a gold coloured RN4062...no difference apart from the paint job...puresmoker sells the exact same cigar in a wood grain effect...i have one of those,and it looks pretty good...

and to the OP...well,the thing i like about the ecigar is that the atomiser is more durable than an ecig,and as others have said-batteries are cheap...i call mine old faithful,cos it never fails...ive had it since May...but i find the draw on mine tighter than a 901 when the cart is properly screwed on,and it doesnt give as much vapour-even when it was new...but then ecigars are just like ecigs...you get good ones and not so good ones...

anyway,everyone should have an ecigar...its a great backup device if nothing else...its saved my bacon many times after multiple ecig failures...

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Well, my shimmer pumps out vapour - far more than my 901b (which is still good, but in a different way). My penstyles also deliver masses of vapour (again, more than the 901b), but not as smoothly as the shimmer. Having said that my shimmer is mainly an evening treat, so maybe I smoke it differently (I'm convinced that the mood of the vaper has a huge effect on how well or badly an e-cig/cigar performs). I get more vapour from my Intellicig Evolution than my 901b - and battery life is MUCH longer imho.

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
Well, my shimmer pumps out vapour - far more than my 901b (which is still good, but in a different way). My penstyles also deliver masses of vapour (again, more than the 901b), but not as smoothly as the shimmer. Having said that my shimmer is mainly an evening treat, so maybe I smoke it differently (I'm convinced that the mood of the vaper has a huge effect on how well or badly an e-cig/cigar performs). I get more vapour from my Intellicig Evolution than my 901b - and battery life is MUCH longer imho.
just goes to show Ex...ecigs are all individuals really...theres no set performance scale for them...experiences will differ...even with the same model...

which reminds me Ex-sorry to go off tiopic-but i meant to ask you...how are you getting on with the new intellicig model?
i know you initially preferred the old version...have you gotten used to the new one now,or would you still rather have the original?

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
just goes to show Ex...ecigs are all individuals really...theres no set performance scale for them...experiences will differ...even with the same model...

which reminds me Ex-sorry to go off tiopic-but i meant to ask you...how are you getting on with the new intellicig model?
i know you initially preferred the old version...have you gotten used to the new one now,or would you still rather have the original?

Hi Mr Darcy,
I was going to wait for a week or two longer before updating my experience with the Evolution - but as you ask...:)
It's the first e-cig I've had that actually improves with age. The roaring "fizz" from the atomiser that you get when new has died down - but vapour production is the same (i.e. very good). I'm now a complete convert to the Evolution - I still use my originals, but the battery life of the Evo (I consistently get 8 hours out of it - then it simply flashes and stops) is a real winner in my book. Hope that helps!

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
Hi Mr Darcy,
I was going to wait for a week or two longer before updating my experience with the Evolution - but as you ask...:)
It's the first e-cig I've had that actually improves with age. The roaring "fizz" from the atomiser that you get when new has died down - but vapour production is the same (i.e. very good). I'm now a complete convert to the Evolution - I still use my originals, but the battery life of the Evo (I consistently get 8 hours out of it - then it simply flashes and stops) is a real winner in my book. Hope that helps!
thanks for that Ex...im sort of hmmming and haaaing about buying one...i just drysmoke these days,so as its open atomiser it wont be good for dripping,i dunno if i could be arsed with carts...but i like the sound of that battery life...

well,its either a intellicig or a new ecigar or a cranberry classic from Smokester...im limiting myself to one...i dont really need any of them...but its christmas...:)

maybe i should just save my money...that new Janty stuff doesnt look like its gonna come cheap...:cry:

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
thanks for that Ex...im sort of hmmming and haaaing about buying one...i just drysmoke these days,so as its open atomiser it wont be good for dripping,i dunno if i could be arsed with carts...but i like the sound of that battery life...

well,its either a intellicig or a new ecigar or a cranberry classic from Smokester...im limiting myself to one...i dont really need any of them...but its christmas...:)

maybe i should just save my money...that new Janty stuff doesnt look like its gonna come cheap...:cry:

Good luck with your choice. I love my Evo, my Shimmer and my penstyles - all smoke differently and therefore add variety to the vaping day. The new Janty stuff does look intriguing - for me the pipe and the stick look good. Have to wait and see on those. I know exactly what you mean about not really needing any of them - that's how I got my Shimmer, and haven't regretted the decision.:)

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
It smokes much more like a cigar if you treat it that way - take a lot of drags, only some of which are anything like inhaled. This does eat into the battery a bit - I hear lots of stories about good battery life on a shimmer, but this is where it falls down slightly for me. It's probably just the way that I'm smoking it. You'll also use LOTS of juice on this feller...I think it's great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread