How long before lungs started spitting up stuff from smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My problem was coughing up phlegm when I was smoking. One pack or more smoker for over 30 years. Nearly coughed up a lung every morning for 10 years, at which my children asked me was I alright because the coughing was so intense and uncontrollable.

Once I began vaping exclusively, the coughing spells nearly disappeared.

Last edited:

louie325

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2015
depends on how much and how long you were smoking
first week for me tons of mucus clearing out
2nd week chest felt sore similar to when you go overboard working out
3 to 5 months after that nothing to bad and my lungs felt better and still do no cough nothing out of the ordinary
would suggest getting your lungs checked out if you completely stop smoking cigs

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Curious how long it took some of you to start coughing up all the brutal stuff in your lungs from years of smoking. I've only been completely off the smokes for 10 days now so nothing for me yet haha

I coughed for a few weeks or months, but nothing brutal.
I smoked 2pad for 30 years

Lucas.Vapaholic

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria,BC, Canada
Honestly, you may not have done too much damage in that amount of time. I wouldn't worry about it and just thank your lucky stars you found e-cigs in time!
Ya big time. vaping is great. Pretty much since the day I started smoking I was always the worst for clearing my throat constantly. Always felt my lungs were plugged up and when I played sports I would puke. Always spitting up .... and just felt gross. I feel way better already since I picked up vaping. For a while I was down to 5 smokes a day and using the e cig and now for the last 10 days I've been off them completely.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I am assuming everyone is different in these regards..... I smoked for 35+ years and was a heavy smoker (2 to 3 pks daily) and I never experienced any phlegm coming up after quitting, well not much anyway. If I remember correctly I did cough up just a mild amount for a couple of days. I know other people who quit and gosh you would think their lungs were falling out because they coughed up so much stuff.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    Curious how long it took some of you to start coughing up all the brutal stuff in your lungs from years of smoking. I've only been completely off the smokes for 10 days now so nothing for me yet haha
    Never did happen with me. I had smoked 1-2 packs a day of 100mm full strength cigs for 35 years or so. The occasional cough went away, I could breathe better but never did cough crud up.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    I smoked about 7 cigarettes per day for 27 years.
    Every morning I would cough up a bunch of brown crap.

Since I smoked so little, I don't think I ever killed my cilia.
    So they kept on working.

When I stopped smoking and started vaping, the brown stuff stopped immediately.
    Because I'm pretty sure there wasn't any left.

I have to wonder about people who smoked a lot for a long time.
    The stories are so different from person to person.
    :shrug:

Jdurand

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 16, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Ya big time. Vaping is great. Pretty much since the day I started smoking I was always the worst for clearing my throat constantly. Always felt my lungs were plugged up and when I played sports I would puke. Always spitting up .... and just felt gross. I feel way better already since I picked up vaping. For a while I was down to 5 smokes a day and using the e cig and now for the last 10 days I've been off them completely.

Sounds like you may have it beat brother....congrats

Mazinny

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 25, 2013
    NY

Never really had a smokers cough while smoking, although i didn't really inhale deep into the lungs ( i am sure a lot of the smoke went into the lungs anyway ). I would exhale as soon as i felt the smoke hit my throat.

I did cough up some phlegm a few days after i stopped smoking every time i tried to quit. Same thing happened when i started vaping to aid in my quitting attempts.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    Sounds like a lot of you never coughed up anything haha hmmm I guess I can stop standing in front of the bathroom sink waiting. Might be there awhile lol
    Yes. I have smoked much more and much longer than you, but had no problems with health and coughing. No coughs after quitting.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread