How long do PG allergy symptoms take to go away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oisin

May 7, 2015
After vaping for about 8 months and having a number of symptoms, I've finally narrowed it down to a PG allergy. vaping was admittedly the last thing I'd expected to be causing this! The brand I've been using is "vaping Dog", with a 70% PG, 30%VG ratio.

Over the last few weeks I've had an eczema and hives breakout, which makes it impossible to sleep with constant itching. Anti-histmaine and hydrocortisone cream make it a little more bearable. I've switched to Nicotine gum for the last 3 days, but the symptoms have only improved slightly. How long does it take for the PG to get out of your system? Has anyone else had this issue? Is Nicotine gum also a good idea as a stop gap, or does Nicotine intake worsen or compound the issue?

I'm really disappointed vaping can cause such serious problems, and don't understand why it took so long to get serious skin problems from it. I've previously had other symptoms, including nose bleeds, unexplained red lumps and tonsillitis like throat issues. I'm aware 100% VG liquid is a solution, but it's not really feasible for me due to the cost of the good non-PG ones, as well as having to constantly order online.

A lot of people I know who've quit analogues using vaping have also had various skin related issues. Apparently a PG allergy is rare, but a lot of people seem to be at least intolerant to it (or just have a bad reaction). I think it's a little worrisome in terms of health since so little research has been done. I absolutely love vaping and really miss it, but this is it for me sadly!

Thanks in advance everyone.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Do you have any other allergies, particularly food allergies?

It's possible that rather than PG you're allergic to one of the flavorings.

Also I would highly recommend going the DIY route. Not only can you make any flavor you want (There is a whole DIY section here with tons of recipes) but it's a whole lot cheaper than any premade juice you can buy. It literally costs me about 2 cents per ml to make my own juice which works out $2 per 100ml bottle. A single $150 purchase of DYI supplies and I've got enough mix to last both me and my wife 3-4 years. Start with small bottles until you get your recipe perfected and then make a big batch of it. It's very easy, takes less than 15 minutes to mix up a batch, and you can mix it to whatever PG and VG levels you want as well as having much more control over the nicotine content.

Oisin

May 7, 2015
Do you have any other allergies, particularly food allergies?

It's possible that rather than PG you're allergic to one of the flavorings.

Also I would highly recommend going the DIY route. Not only can you make any flavor you want (There is a whole DIY section here with tons of recipes) but it's a whole lot cheaper than any premade juice you can buy. It literally costs me about 2 cents per ml to make my own juice which works out $2 per 100ml bottle. A single $150 purchase of DYI supplies and I've got enough mix to last both me and my wife 3-4 years. Start with small bottles until you get your recipe perfected and then make a big batch of it. It's very easy, takes less than 15 minutes to mix up a batch, and you can mix it to whatever PG and VG levels you want as well as having much more control over the nicotine content.
I've never had an allergy to anything or any problems like this before starting vaping.

I'll definitely look into the DIY route. That's not something I thought would be easy to do! It's also incredibly cheap. My main problem with the good 100% VG was the fact I'd be spending way more than I would be smoking.

Thanks a million!

Oisin

May 7, 2015
My votes also a flavoring issue. FWIW, I have a pg sensitivity and it takes 3-4 days for the symptoms to clear. Thats a mild sensitivity, not a full on allergy. Anything above 50% pg will irritate the living crap out of my sinuses, throat, and lungs.
I tend to use a a lot of different flavours so I'm not sure which one would be causing it, possibly the brand (Vaping Dog) just has crap ingredients? Hopefully I just have another day left of the hives then! Cheers.

Hello,

You've just brought up a very complicated topic, the first thing to do is definitely go see a doctor to ensure nothing else is going on. People react to quitting smoking and vaping differently. Don't underestimate how long it takes your body to clear itself from the impact of smoking. Also, could it be something you're eating, drinking or perhaps a new detergent!
If I remember correctly it doesn't take more than a few days to clear your body from PG, you should be able to confirm this by doing some on-line research. Try and stay off vaping (and smoking) as long as you can and see how things develop. Then if you're up to it you can try a process of elimination PG, VG, brands, flavours, drinking more water ...etc.

eray

Mar 28, 2015
TX
My votes also a flavoring issue. FWIW, I have a pg sensitivity and it takes 3-4 days for the symptoms to clear. Thats a mild sensitivity, not a full on allergy. Anything above 50% pg will irritate the living crap out of my sinuses, throat, and lungs.

I thought I had a PG allergy. Actually, I get a nasal drip when vaping any ratio of PG/VG. I get a sore throat, but I found that's from the dripping into my throat while I sleep. Ultimately, it's the common result of having allergies--the dripping into the throat, which causes it to hurt. I think that many who think that a sore throat is the result of a PG intolerance is just a sore throat from the dripping into the throat at night normally caused by any allergy. Once I propped my head up at night, it subsided.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I've never had an allergy to anything or any problems like this before starting vaping.

I'll definitely look into the DIY route. That's not something I thought would be easy to do! It's also incredibly cheap. My main problem with the good 100% VG was the fact I'd be spending way more than I would be smoking.

Thanks a million!
VG is 25 bucks a gallon at essential depot,

a 15 dollar 30 ml bottle is one ounce so your paying roughly 1900 a gal.

Reactions: tvapernow

nmackan

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Turkiye
My friend my vote goes to a flavor too. I am not good with PG. (so I asumed not a doctor command) The problem was only liquids available was Dekang when I beginned and least was 20% PG with Dekang. so I got some VG (food grade but not Pharma grade thank god I could find at least) and diluted my liquids with that. After 2 years now, I am sensitive some ingredient what or which god knows only, my nose Works way down during vaping some liquids. Nothing serious but irritating.
Still you may have problems for the lack of various poisons your body used to cope with and now when there isnt any your body may have been confused. I would recommend medical resources but I am afraid they know as much as we do. Best solution for you seems to be DIY. This way you can try various ingredients to find what you are allergic to.
Anyway go ahead you are free now and free you will be with a little work ahead. Never consider smoking again. Cigarette caused ilnesses are far too expensive than VG.

Reactions: tvapernow

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
What flavors do you use? Fruit flavors? Deserts? Tobacco? Can you get unflavored nicotine juice where you are? Does contact of your e-liquid on your skin cause irritation? I'm guessing you are in Europe because you use Vaping Dog. When you get your 5 posts logged you might try the DYI Juice forum to find where you can get unflavored juice in your area and how to mix it.

The more complex a flavor is, the more likely it is to have something that may irritate you. Vape is not food. Extracts used for flavors are far more complex chemically than artificial flavors and things which you may be so mildly allergic to that you would never notice might be concentrated to a level that you have a more severe reaction in natural flavorings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread