Not open for further replies.

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum and very much a newbie to ecigs. I just got my first e-cigs from Totally Wicked. Super Minis with zero nic tobacco flavored juice for myslef and 8 MG tobacco juice for my wife. I have read that new atomizers can taste bad, but bad is not the word for it. It is awefull! Kind of like a burnt metallic taste. The Zero nic tobacco juice from TW also doesn't have much of a flavor, which isn't helping to mask that burnt taste. Is there anything I can do to get passed this bad break in taste faster? Especially for my wife, I am not giving it to her until I know she won't be disgusted by it, or else she will never touch it again. Also, is there anything I might find around the house that could help boost the flavor of this liquid? At this point, I don't care if it sweet or sour, just so long as it is helps cover up that hideous burnt taste. Also I have noticed that I feel a bit dizzy and slightly upset stomach, even though I haven't really even tried to inhale this thing yet. Is this normal for first E-Cigers?

Thanks, any advise would be nice.

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
Nope, of course I ordered blank cartidges, but I filled them with the TW juice. I at first did try one of the sample carts that came with it, thought that was the problem, so went straight to the juice. Yes I am aware that the tip on the new e-cig has no cart in it. I took that one off immediately. The burnt taste is going away, but I sure wish I didn't waste my money on the tobacco flavored TW juice. It tase nothing like tobacco, can't quite put my finger on it. I chose the tobacco flavor because I have smoked analogs for over thirty five years. I never liked menthol or ever smoked flavored pipe tobacco. I just put in an order for some of what I call candy flavors from JC. Hope it gets here soon. This TW tobacco flavor has got to go. Hope the other flavors taste better.

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
OK, I tried the other E-cig that is going to be my wifes, it too had that burnt taste but not as bad and seem to be going away faster. I will give mine some more time and then maybe switch to another atomizer. I bought extras. I also orderd 50 blank carts in black to match the black e-cigs. The sent me 50 brown carts instead. Also, I might note, I have been completely smoke free for over 13 days now, it may be that my taste buds have returned to the point that smoking no longer tatses good to me. Funny though, I can walk by someone smoking an analog and that still makes me want one.

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
I had the same taste but kept vaping anyway. It disappeared after 1-2 days. I read elsewhere it often happens with new vaporisers. I'm surprised the manufacturers don't break them in with a puffing machine or something as future business with the customer could be strangled at birth by this first impression.

I totally agree,
I can understand that it may take some time to break in. My concern is my wife, I know her well, if she takes one taste from this the way it is, that's it she will not try it again. I don't want this to happen. I don't think she is going to like this tobacco juice either, I may have to hide these things until my new order for juice comes in. Hope I can find a flavor she will like. I hate spending thirty dollars on a bottle only to find out I don't like it. Actually, that's 60 dollars. I bought two at different strengths.
I am hoping to cut them with another flavor. Am oing to the store in a bit, to look for flavoring extracts.

teardrop88

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
USA
I have a M401 Pilot and this happens from time to time:

Here are the steps I take to get rid of the awful burnt-metallic taste.

1) First, take of the atomizer and wipe down any liquid on the battery/atomizer threads. This only occurs if you have over filled your cart or put too much liquid with dripping.

2) Next drip your liquid directly on the atomizer and vape it with a blank cart to see if the taste goes away within a few puffs.

2a) If the taste is still there, I recommend you clean your atomizer following any one of the many guides on this forum. I personally soak my atomizers in pipe sweetener for about 10 minutes and rinse with water (i use a syringe for that). Then blow out the excess water and let it dry for a while. Once dry, prime it with a couple drops and vape.

3) If your atomizer is fine (no yucky taste by dripping), replace your filled cart and puff. If taste returns, then it's your cartridge.

3a) Take out the padding which holds the liquid and press it with a paper towel to completely dry and drain any excess liquid (it's tainted with the yuck smell/taste at this point). The use a q-tip to clean out the inside of the cartridge. Replace the padding, and be sure to pay extra attention that you are not stuffing the padding all the way down in the cartridge as you want to ensure that it's close enough to the atomizer, but not directly touching the mesh and refill your cartridge with juice.

I discovered that placement of the padding is key (at least for the M401) as too far away from the atomizer results in the liquid not reaching the wick/mesh which cases the atomizer to burn dry causing the horrid taste. Same goes if the padding is too close. I've simply lost patience with filling carts because of this and now just drip.

Also, often the burnt taste tends to linger in the mouth. I've noticed that drinking a cup of coffee really helps to tell you when everything is good to go as it "cleanses the pallet" if you will.

Regardless, hope this helps.

Last edited:

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
Thanks Teardrop.
I am drinking a cup of coffee right now.

OK, I tried dripping and the burnt taste is not near as bad. I am replacing the cart with another new one and will see how that goes. I can tell I don't like the flavor of this juice. Maybe because it is zero nicotine.
I may be happy now with a sweet candy like flavor. I never thought I would like that in a smoke, I certainly never did when smoking analogs.
I have certainly been eating my share of lifesavors and starbursts since I put analogs down.

teardrop88

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Thanks Teardrop.
I am drinking a cup of coffee right now.

OK, I tried dripping and the burnt taste is not near as bad. I am replacing the cart with another new one and will see how that goes. I can tell I don't like the flavor of this juice. Maybe because it is zero nicotine.
I may be happy now with a sweet candy like flavor. I never thought I would like that in a smoke, I certainly never did when smoking analogs.
I have certainly been eating my share of lifesavors and starbursts since I put analogs down.

Sure thing. Anytime! I hear you on the sweet candy like flavors. I'm not always in the mood, and the more milder tasting liquids fit the bill. I found that PureSmoker's CaSH True Menthol, Cola, Coffee, are great for this. I also have grown very fond of PureSmoker's Clove (regular pure ejuice). My favorite of the sweet is TrueVapor's Very Chery and Juicy Kiwi (which he doesn't currently stock, but I would love it if he did restocked it). Puresmoker's CaSH Pina Colada is pretty good too.

What juice are you using?

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
Excellent response teardrop. I've also found with the Pilot if you let your cart get too dry you get an icky taste. I've never experienced the horrible burnt metallic taste tho. Even tho you say you never smoked Menthols, you should try the True Menthol from Puresmoker. It's wonderful! It's more minty than menthol. Unfortunately you can't order it till they get back from their move on the 20th. I can't wait to get more. I'm down to 1/2 a bottle. EEK!! Don't give up, there definitely is a learning curve to this. But it's worth it in the long run.

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
I now have pen styles from E-smokeyTreats, and got some juice from Johnson Creek, in Tobacco and Cherry flavor. Everything tastes fine. No burnt metallic taste at all.
Incidentally, I did buy extra atomizers with the Super Minis from Totally Wicked. The foul taste was the same with all of them. The TW juice also smelled like dirty socks. I put that Super Minis and the Totally Wicked juice away.
I have read where people had bad luck with JC juice burning out their atomizers. Mine are still working fine. I do like the Pen styles better, I have no problem with it leaking and I don't have to re-fill it that often.

Thanks guys.
I am still vaping zero nic and have been smoke and nicotine free for 15 days now. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread