How long does your atomizer last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatagem

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Central Texas, USA
Still smoking, cut down to half. Been vaping a while now, pretty regularly at work esp. My 901 isn't hitting as well. Even with new carts, filled full, fresh battery. Wondering if it's atomizer. (I;ve cleaned but I did drop it once last wk--working OK till today) With it pretty much in your mouth all day type-useage, about how long does an atomizer last? How do you tell if it's totally dying out?

I am asking specifically chain-vapers :D

shadow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2009
Birmingham UK
Hi whatagem if your a chainvaper it sounds like you need to move up to the next level and get yourself a big battery device, the one i would recomend is the Screwdriver, i have 2 and have been using them since Febuary and have not touched an analog since the main thing about the SD is it is a long term cost effective vaping solution with performance to boot, initial purchase is expensive around $160 but long term running costs work out a hell of a lot cheaper than running your 901
1. batteries can last 5-12hrs dependant on your usage i personally get a full days use from one battery, the batteries on average last 2-3 months and cost $6.99 for 4 to replace from dealextreme http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13927#forum, the batteries output 3.6v which helps the atomiser perform to its best.
2. Atomizers should be treated as disposables, average lifespan for a heavy vaper is 2-4 weeks when performance starts becoming dull throw it away and replace, some people think atomizers can last forever they boil them wash them in coke or other substances, whats the point when you can replace them for $6-7 apiece, they are not manufactured for longterm use, the SD uses the 901 atomizer, the RN4075 is the best performer especially for throat hit as it runs hotter than the DSE 901 which runs cooler and can be better for flavor but is more prone to flooding, it is best to buy your atomizers in bulk 5+ at a time, Ruyandirect charge $6 each + $3 shipping if dont mind waiting 3-4 weeks or you can pay around $15 for shipping within a week or you can buy from Totally wicked USA for $34 for 5.
3. carts again you can get from Ruyandirect for $21 for 50, with the SD i tend to use 1 cart for 2-3 days topping off before replacing.
At the end of the day i can only recommend the SD as i have used it as my primary device for the last 4 months and am more than happy with it, IMHO it is the best looking and performing e cig out there with excellent customer service from Trog, heres a link to the SD website ecigscrewdriver.com check it out and see what you think, there are other big battery PV's out there now such as the Prodigy the Jantystick and the GG, but the SD has the longest Track record and is the best perfoming PV in my opinium, good luck in your search. :D

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Atomizers die, sometimes unexpectedly, aywhere from one hour to a few months. Dropping an atomizer can cause physical damage to the heating coil. Some of the signs of a dying atomizer include decreased vapor production, increasingly difficult draw, not heating up as quickly, etc. Chuck a bad one and start a new one or you will frustrate yourself to death.

whatagem

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Central Texas, USA
Ah, I hate to switch to another type of e-cig. I've already spent a small fortune on 901's Picked this type for size and my husband likes it OK At work, my hands are not free so I just bite down on the cartridge end to hold it in my mouth. I'm sure I'm ruining my teeth, but with what I'll save on cigs, I'll be able to afford braces in future :D

Afraid to go with a larger model for that reason. Also, I read some where that the larger models use tons more liquid; that may need further looking into by my part though
Though if there are other models that work out cheaper, I might consider doing some reserach on that. I've already got 2 batteries marked for home use only because they last about an hour & die. These were my original starter kit batts & worked well till a couple wks ago.

Based on the advice here, I might look into some compatible stuff. Already spent hours upon hours reading, learning, etc....sigh

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
You didn't say how old your atty is or your batteries.

No matter, you really should treat them as disposables and stock up.

Attys can go kaput right in the middle of a drag, also batteries. They can last 2 days 2 weeks or 2 months.

Ruyandirect.com and eastmall.net have very good prices if you're looking to save some $$. The downside (not to me though) is that they're in China. Orders usually take 7 to 10 days to get to you.

I've ordered 901 attys for my SD from ruyandirect.com that are still going strong after 2 months. And of course, I've got a few attys from them that died the first week.

So, there's no real answer to your question. If you treat them as disposables, you'll be a lot happier with the replacement cost :)

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
I have had trouble with my latest batch of DSE-901 attys. The metal wick seems to be loosening, which results in poor wicking to the coil. The atomizer is not very used and it is clean. The atomizer gets real hot, but produces weak vapor. (not a battery problem)
Anyway, today I took my "weak" atomizer and took off the wicking, which covers the "shroud". There is a small thin flat metal band that covers and protects the coil. I took some steel wool and unraveled it into "whispy" strands. Then I made two small balls of it and stuffed into each end on the coil, under the shroud. Each ball of stuffed steel wool extends out and touches the "wall" of the atomizer (provides better wicking")
I am quite pleased with the result. TONS of vapor once again! It is wicking very nicely also.
Best of all... $10.00 saved by not having to throw away the atomizer. I am going to look around today and find some "stainless steel" wool. That way it won't get rusty, and it should last the life of the coil.

Last edited:

skyward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Nacogdoches,tx
I have had trouble with my latest batch of DSE-901 attys. The metal wick seems to be loosening, which results in poor wicking to the coil. The atomizer is not very used and it is clean. The atomizer gets real hot, but produces weak vapor. (not a battery problem)
Anyway, today I took my "weak" atomizer and took off the wicking, which covers the "shroud". There is a small thin flat metal band that covers and protects the coil. I took some steel wool and unraveled it into "whispy" strands. Then I made two small balls of it and stuffed into each end on the coil, under the shroud. Each ball of stuffed steel wool extends out and touches the "wall" of the atomizer (provides better wicking")
I am quite pleased with the result. TONS of vapor once again! It is wicking very nicely also.
Best of all... $10.00 saved by not having to throw away the atomizer. I am going to look around today and find some "stainless steel" wool. That way it won't get rusty, and it should last the life of the coil.
should check the tips and tricks threads. was some talk a while back about heating steel wool and emitting some nasty stuff

whatagem

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Central Texas, USA
For a while, I've been lazy about not changing my wool. Once I threw out my ratty wools and got new stuffing into carts, it seems to be hitting OK. But just OK.

You didn't say how old your atty is or your batteries.
I'm actually using the original starter kit atomizer. The biggest prob I have with it is that the 1st couple of drags are like...Ahhhhh. Then after that it's like, eh. But it's always been like that. As to how old, I think I bought it in late march or early april. Played with it here & there for about a month, then begin heavy useage. So....about 2 months give or take?

if you're looking to save some $$
I usually order from bestecig.com if making a big enough order to level out the oversease shipping. I get liquid and the occasional needed accessory from True Vapor. But thanks for the tip--will def be checking those out.

Are there any occasions when you could use a usb pass-through with it?
I am totally blue-collar but I sell on eBay. Been wanting a USB for home since I usually spend hours in front of PC in evenings. Waiting for some $$ to come in ;-D

I took my "weak" atomizer and took off the wicking, which covers the "shroud". There is a small thin flat metal band that covers and protects the coil.....
Is there somewhere where this is shown in depth with photos? I'd like a better hit but I don't get how to do all this & we've only got 1 spare atomizer between the 2 of us

Also, the screwdrivers work with the 901 atty's/carts so your not really wasting money buying a SD
What else is compatible with the 901? If I decide to go with something else, what do you guys recommend? I like my 901 but am concerned that when it comes time to quit smoking (in about 1.5 weeks) that I'll go thru the old ready-for-a-real-cig that I so often do now. At this point I am not really so concerned about $$$ I just REALLY WANT TO QUIT SMOKING!!!!!

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
What else is compatible with the 901? If I decide to go with something else, what do you guys recommend? I like my 901 but am concerned that when it comes time to quit smoking (in about 1.5 weeks) that I'll go thru the old ready-for-a-real-cig that I so often do now. At this point I am not really so concerned about $$$ I just REALLY WANT TO QUIT SMOKING!!!!!

If you want close to hassle free vaping, both the Screwdriver and the Prodigy from puresmoker work with 901 attys and carts so you wouldn't have to switch. An other option, in about 2-3 weeks most suppliers of DSE901's should have the new manual batteries for the 901. The manual pass throughs are already available. I would suggest trying one of these 3 options.:)

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
No need for the steelwool anymore.
I use only my Screw Driver with the 901-4075 atomizer. When the vapor production starts to fade, but the atomizer still gets very hot... It's time to "clean burn" the atomizer.
Blow out the atomizer to get excess liquid out. Then run the dry atomizer until the coil gets cherry red. Run it for about 8-10 seconds. Sometimes I'll do this a second time after the atomizer has cooled back down. Then add four drops of liquid, let it soak for a minute and then try it. You should get good-normal vapor production again. If not, the atomizer is probably weak.

Before I learned this trick, I've probably threw away more than one perfectly fine atomizer.

purrin

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Yeah i was searching for this topic. Cause I'm new to this. I've been sucking quite heavily on an njoy ciggy for about 6 days (been through 20-25ml liquid. The atomiser died today. It cots me about $45AU to import a new one and takes two weeks to arrive so I'm pretty dissapointed. Going to be looking around for a cheaper solution I think. It had just 'broken in' in the last couple of days and I was getting a lot of pleasure from it. Now I have to go back to cigs until it's resolved and they're foul. I spent a fair bit on the starter kit too and I was happy with it but I think I'll b3e going with a new model with cheaper atomisers. Haivng read around a bit it's not that unusual for them to blow out after a week. Being able to fix them at home would be a good thing.

VA Slim

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2009
Boynton Bch., FL USA
Chain vaper here.....I keep 3 attys and 5 batts in rotation constantly. Attys have lasted me from 2 days to 3 months. They're fickle and disposable. You need to know that going in. Don't like manuals or pass thru's.....they don't give me the pleasure or freedom that I got from smoking analogs. I loved to smoke, now I love to vape.

PurKat

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2009
Oklahoma, U.S.A.
Ruyandirect.com and eastmall.net have very good prices if you're looking to save some $$. The downside (not to me though) is that they're in China. Orders usually take 7 to 10 days to get to you.

Have you had any problems with customs, when ordering from Eastmall? I notice they are not shipping right now, due some Chinese Holiday, but will be back to normal service by Oct 9, 2009.

Thanks! ;)

whatagem

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Central Texas, USA
Hey everyone! I am currently averaging one week per atty but I am a pretty heavy vapor. I have tried the whole cleaning thing---really not worth it. Nasty taste & very little power; time to throw it out.

I have discovered that with a few, I gently blew them out from battery end, stood them up with cart side down & batt end up in the air....after a few days I tried one & working like new. But of course this could be a result of my laziness to blow them out every now & then.

$6 per week plus the cost of batteries isn't so bad. Looking into mods to cut my battery cost so I can once & for all begin spending/saving my cigarette money--ha ha!
Currently using a Kensington battery pack with a pass thru around the house--getting me into trouble because I am LOVING the 5 volts.

All Chinese supplies out till the 9th :-(
too bad cuz I'm in serious need for batteries and China is just cheaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread