Status
Not open for further replies.

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Hey guys, I've been wondering for a while now how long it would take me to break even so I sat down and figured it out. No it's not hard math, but some people don't like building equations. Thought this might be helpful for new members that are concerned with not spending more on this hobby than cigarettes. Personally I'm not so worried about it as I started aware that $5.50 per pack was going to be hard to catch up to but I like knowing that a date actually exists... at least theoretically. I can't stop ordering stuff!

(Amount spent on vaping supplies)+(Cost of vaping/day)*(days)=(Amount saved on cigs)+(Cost of cigs/day)*(days)

Days is the variable in this equation so solving for days gives you

Days = (Amount spent on vaping supplies - Amount saved on cigs)/(Cost of cigs/day-cost of vaping/day)

With some numbers to give you a visual, here's mine. I'm a couple months into this so I already have an (amount saved on cigs). If you don't, then your number would be 0.

$892.48+$3(x)=$288.75+$6.875(x)

$3.875x=$603.73

x=155.8 Days

Yep, it's a ways out, and will probably move out further before the month is over. But it exists, and that makes me happy. :)

Question for you guys that have been doing this for a while, after your initial investment on hardware and such what do you think is a typical Cost of vaping/day for you?

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 19, 2009
    Florida
    I'm definitely saving money now because cigarettes would cost me $350-$400+ per month and I'm spending an average of $100 on vaping supplies and goodies. In the first year, when I was trying all sorts of new juices, ecigs and gadgets, I was spending as much or more than I'd spent on cigarettes! The truth is that I would've spent 3x as much if that's what it took to get me off the analogs, so it's all good.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ont.
    I'm with Bad. I broke even a long time ago but I really wouldn't have noticed unless I had my chart...doing it for my health and the $$ don't really matter. What really does matter "to me" is the number of analogs not smoked....that just blows me away and am totally dumbfounded each and every time I look at it...kind of a remember when moment. As of today 13 THOUSAND, 285 analogs avoided.

I didn't choose vaping to save money, although that can be a side benefit. I chose vaping to get off of cigarettes which were going to kill me eventually if I didn't stop.

The price of good health and longer life expectancy = priceless.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    Ok, you made me go look. lol Lesse, I started vaping in April 2011, my last cigarette was 07/31/2011 (Yay!), and that was also the first month I was in the black to the tune of $173.62.

Today? Despite having 6 vv apv's on hand - and all sorts of silliness and enough liquid and attys and stuff to last at least 4 months - I'm in the black as of today $1,976.79. That's what I have saved, taking my former monthly smoking costs and deducting what I have actually spent on vaping. :toast: (No, I'm not OCD - it's just all happens to be in Quicken.)

It would be even more than that if I factored in what butts cost now. They are up about $2.00 a pack here compared to when I started. I'm happy enough to just look at it from the perspective of what smoking cost me at the time I quit.

Believe it or not file: I have that money in a Mason jar. Not kidding. I don't know what I will do with it, or when, I just like to see it piling up like that for now. Sweet!

Oh yeah, all that health benefit stuff too...

Last edited:

Harplayr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 28, 2012
    Florida
    I'm with Bad. I broke even a long time ago but I really wouldn't have noticed unless I had my chart...doing it for my health and the $$ don't really matter. What really does matter "to me" is the number of analogs not smoked....that just blows me away and am totally dumbfounded each and every time I look at it...kind of a remember when moment. As of today 13 THOUSAND, 285 analogs avoided.

That really is a shocking figure especially when multiplied by years smoking!

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Accepted Ocelot. That would be cool, I don't really know any vapers in Tahoe!

I agree with you guys on it not being the main reason, I just like to know it's possible. Because knowing that it's possible to still break even gives me an excuse to order new stuff instead of worrying about what I've spent. I do have a little disposable income and love tech gadgets, so I'm probably not done haha.

Boiler I also wish I had started at ECF, I wouldn't have $300 worth of Blu carts in a drawer, that's for sure. They are nice to have though, I like taking the Blu to the bars and to snowboard still.

Harplayr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 28, 2012
    Florida
    Accepted Ocelot. That would be cool, I don't really know any vapers in Tahoe!

I agree with you guys on it not being the main reason, I just like to know it's possible. Because knowing that it's possible to still break even gives me an excuse to order new stuff instead of worrying about what I've spent. I do have a little disposable income and love tech gadgets, so I'm probably not done haha.

Boiler I also wish I had started at ECF, I wouldn't have $300 worth of Blu carts in a drawer, that's for sure. They are nice to have though, I like taking the Blu to the bars and to snowboard still.
    If you don't buy every shiney new pv and tank that comes out it's entirely possible especially with the way the price of analogs is going up.

Boiler

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 29, 2013
    The land of sky blue waters
    I started with GreenSmoke. They were still less than cigarettes, I don't really regret it. Dug one out the other day tho, and man are they are awful-I don't know how kept up with it. I have a couple mini-eGos now for short takes.

Earl X

Feb 19, 2013
    United States
    I have only switched to vaping 5 weeks ago yesterday, and i think I was in the black after about 2 weeks. Picked up a kit for my fiance and I at the mall (terrible idea btw), and we quit smoking the next day. It was way easier to transition than i could have ever imagined. I can definitely see myself spending loads of money on different clearos, batteries, etc, but its better than spending $7 for a pack of smokes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread