how long to completely quit analogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my 510 joye ego kit and various flavors for 5 full days now. I love it. - and I'm still doing some analogs.
Have to go outside to smoke, to I tried going outside to vape in order to play with my head.
Honestly, I love the vaping. I have had a 510 ego in one hand and a cig in the other, and I honestly like the flavor, hit, etc. of vaping better.
so why am I still doing an analog here and there? My second day I only had 5 cigs and have not had more than 10/day since I received the kit. But I'm still using them.

Here is my question:

How long did it take anyone who had gotten off analogs to get off them completely by vaping? I would like to set some realistic goals and targets.

What is your experience?

I have smoked over 2 packs a day for about 50 years, so I guess I could be more positive, but I really need to quit smoking. They are starting to bother me. When did you say they were bothering me after starting vaping?

I know it hasn't been a week yet, be patient, keep at it, all that. Maybe I expect too much too quick or I'm just weak and have a bigger brain problem than I thought.

Rocenante

Jan 25, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Hi there. I'm also in Georgia and new to this whole thing.

It's only been a week for me, but I haven't had an analog since the day after I got my kit. I finished up the pack I had bought the same day, and make a conscious effort to not buy anymore. I have to admit that the first couple days drove me absolutely nuts, but I'm now adjusting to life without tobacco. My advice would be to try to go a weekend without any cigarettes at all, just make sure you have enough cartridges or refill juice available.

lrd3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
n.j
the minute my green light showed a full charge.. i snuffed out my last cigg..... some people hold on to there cigs for a wile.. some people use there pv to cut down in the beginning.. some quit rite away..
i planned on cutting down slowly.. but it just worked so well i haven't smoked sense.. i was a 3 pck a day smoker.. rolling my own.... started 20 yrs ago by smoking 10 or 15 butts a day...

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
I quit having my Camel Filters on the second day BUT I could have quit on the first day if I had really trusted that the e-cig was actually going to satisfy me (which it does).

That being said, there are a few major reasons why some folks still smoke analogs if their intention was to stop with vaping:

#1. It's psychological. You haven't fully given in to the fact that vaping will satisfy you so rather than deny yourself the release that you get from nicotine, you smoke just to be sure. Basically, you dis the PV before it can dis you.

#2. You aren't using the right mg nicotine juice for your needs. I started with 24mg juice and still use 24 - it keeps the beast away. Some people need 18mg, some need 36mg, and there's no rhyme or reason - it doesn't seem to correlate to how much you used to smoke before or anything like that.

#3. You are trying to monitor how much you vape. Trying to time it so it comes out the same as how much you smoked; you do it for 7-10 minutes every hour and a half (or something like that). That won't work, you have to vape like the devil is biting at your heels and the vapor is the only thing keeping him away. Vape early and vape often.

...There are other nit-picky things that could be happening too, but not as common.

good luck!

Shining

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Houston
It took me about a week to stop the analogs. Other than the obvious psychological reasons, once I found a juice I loved, and the right nic level, I just found myself not wanting an analog. It just sort of happened. I got a cappuccino flavor and malty toffee from Backwoods Brew and they are soooo tasty, it's all I wanted (and still do, lol).
I took advice from others here and when I wanted an analog, I vaped first, then if I still wanted an analog then I would have one. Most of the time, even in the first few days, I did not want one once I vaped.
So,,,get your nic level figured out, awesome juice that you love, and you will not want an analog!!

texasgranny

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Texas
It is all a individual thing for each one of us. Some first day, some first week, some first month and so on.

It also has to do with each one of our mindsets at the time. Some very determined, some thinking
maybe,some thinking "I don't have a clue if this will work", some just praying that it will.

Me...well I was each one of the above. I started off smoking regular and vaping
in between for a couple days.
Third day or so...smoke first one...vape...smoke mid morning...vape...smoke after lunch...
.vape...smoke mid afternoon....vape....smoke last one for the night. Then I would smoke first one...vape till lunch...smoke after lunch...vape till night and smoke the last one for the night....
I just kept tappering off and eliminating down to just the first one in the morning. Then after two
weeks from the first vape day, I ran out of cigs. I just thought I would see how far I could
make it untill I just "had" to buy the next pack.
Well so far, that day has just not come! I have had some weak moments and at first I thought
about them alot.
Now days.....they are just like the ex....gone for good.

So the moral of my story is this....it's kinda up to you. Don't stress yourself out. Taper off.
Vape like the dickens (you will vape more than you smoked) and come back here often for
some more moral support.
We got your back!

You can dooooo it!

sweetblackkitten

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2011
indiana
in my opinion...they are putting some kind of drug besides the nicotine in analogs...now what, i dont know...but as i go through this change, i know they are...i feel it, like something in the shadows calling me...

it is a very manageable withdrawal though.

i was lucky. my smokes ran out right before i got my starter kit, and i mean by a few minutes. and that was it. no desire to buy more. after 18 years, 1 to 2 PAD. it will be 3 weeks tomorrow. i cant even stand hitting a regular ciggy now. it is baffling to me!

maybe up your nic, and stop buying more analogs...see if you can just handle it.

this change is different for everybody, and you need to know that you might still have some sort of withdrawal.

welcome and good luck!

Freddy

Jan 25, 2011
Virginia
Hey there ... same boat as you. I smoked pack and a half to two a day. I've been vaping for about a week and love it much better than the analogs ... BUT ... I'm still reaching for them once in a while. I probably could have turned my back on them but STRESS hit and my reaction is to grab a cig. I think the nic hits faster with a cig, I may need a step stronger on the nic. I have order some stronger juice and plan on having it on "stand-by" for rougher days ... like when my kids are working my LAST nerve (single dad with teenagers .. yeah). Don't let it get you down or hold you up. You said you are "doing some analogs" ... I take that as you are doing less. As long as it is less each day you'll get there and so will I. Take care and good luck.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
... like when my kids are working my LAST nerve (single dad with teenagers .. yeah)....

OMG - I hope you ordered some 36mg at least !! :laugh:

I started on 26mg, then 30mg, then 36mg, vaping like crazy till I worried I would OD
on the nic, but never did. Every time I got the "crazy cravings" I would vape more
and more often. After a while they die down and you can cut back a little, but
not to the point where the crazies come back. Also in the beginning when my juice
stash was weak, and my PV wasen't performing as I wanted (still learning how to vape)
I augmented my vaping with a little nic gum once in a while, still have a half-box (backup).

p.s. 1 1/2 pad for 35+ yrs

Free2BeMe

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Kentucky
I quit once it was charged up and ready to go. This Saturday will be one month and I haven't smoked at all. I know some people keep cigarettes around, I am too weak for that. Sometimes I wonder if I would even still like the taste...I smoked for 12 years so probably. I don't know.

At any rate, you'll get there. Just keep it up!

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Not everyone is lucky enough to be an instant quitter. I'm convinced the difference lays in what part of the smoker's addiction is chemical vs. what part is physical habit. Continuing with my conviction, the more of the habit which is physical habit, the more likely the vaper will be able to drop cigarettes quickly, or instantly.

Vaping doesn't deliver the instant nicotine gratification that cigarettes do. And, I suspect the individual's vaping style has a LOT to do with how much nicotine is delivered to the blood stream, even given the same nicotine level juice. But, if a smoker's habit is 50% physical habit and not chemical, the battle is at least half won from the get-go by the simulation of smoking provided by vaping. They may also find it relatively easy to quickly reduce the nicotine content of their juice.

For myself: After my first PV was delivered, I lit up two times. The first was at work when I had underestimated the battery power I needed to make it through a work day. I bummed a smoke from a co-worker ... that was only a few days into my vaping. Then, perhaps a month later, I lit up one of the cigarettes I had on hand ... more out of curiosity than anything else. I only took a few drags and put it out. It was horrible, I found I did not want to smoke it after all.

Other than those several exceptions, I ended a 35+ year, carton per week smoking career on the same day as my first PV was delivered, 1/15/2010. Shocking to me! I had not planned to quit smoking on that day, or any time before some smoking related illness ended my life. At least, I hadn't consciously planned to quit. Perhaps somewhere deep in my head the thought was there, perhaps I was ready and just didn't realize it yet. After more than 35 years of smoking, cigarettes were such an integral part of my being that, if I stop to think about it, it still amazes me just how easily and instantly I put the coffin nails down.

I know it isn't that easy for everyone and consider myself to be one of the "lucky ones".

Hang in there!

Last edited:

toto1013

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2011
SE Kansas
Don't be so hard on yourself. We are all different in how we react and handle things.

I received my e-cig a month ago today with a pack or so of analogs remaining. On 1/1/11 I smoked my last one and I have not gone and bought any more. As I sit here, I cant believe it yet. I did not tell myself I am quitting next week, on the first or this is my last cig. It just kind of happened. This after 40+/- years. Trying different things to quit for the last 15yrs at least. Setting those quiting dates; as soon as I get through this, etc. Quiting, starting again. I was down to 4 to 10 a day with a lot of effort not to smoke more unless I was really stressed then it all went out the window. I had to have my best friend that was killing me. All this even after I went on oxygen 24/7 in October. The end of the first week and first part of the 2nd week after I hadn't had cigs, I did fight the wanting to go after cigs a few times. Wasn't near as bad as fighting the wanting to cut down, quit, well I'll have just one more today or I'm only going to buy one more pack, etc. before I started vaping. Would vape and forget about it.

Last night I had another atomizer go dead on me. It seems as though I am having a time with hardware here. I immediately panicked as I only had l left that isn't working well either. At the time I did not even think that I could go buy a cigarette if it quit on me. When I thought of it, I could breathe again. :laugh:

You aren't weak. Maybe you do have a bigger brain problem as you aren't giving yourself credit for going from 40 analogs a day to 10 in 5 days after smoking for 50 years.:)

I am addicted to smoking. Will I smoke analogs again? I will not say "NO", but I would hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread