how long to quit analogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Haha. Somebody else asked the same question!

I quit smoking cigarettes immediately which amazed me. I smoked for decades. used to smoke Marlboros, then ended up eventually on nice ultralights but they got way too expensive ($64/carton) so I had to go to cheaper cigs which were lights (and twice the nicotine) so I had been smoking 1.5+ PAD of those for the last year. I stopped right away. I did do a lot of research here before I chose my first PV and I took everyone's advice and got manual batteries which I think makes vaping a lot easier and more consistent. I started on some eh PG tobacco-ish juice but got a bunch more juices until I found several that pleased me and had either aromas I associated with smoking (BWB Casablanca, FSUSA Desert Ship) or other pleasant aroma/tastes (mmmm vanilla bean, caramel, chocolate mmmm and FSUSA oRYental 4 more caramel and a bit of a kick). First month or more though I needed all tobacco juices with decent TH.

I think it helped that I did not even like those Pall Mall orange I was smoking - they seemed harsh to me. I'm glad the emergency cigs I have around were not my old fave mellow cocoa-y ultralights which I lusted for. My PV was a bit weak but it did remind me of those ultralights and that worked for me.

Many people ease into vaping though. Some need to step up their equipment and or nicotine to finally eliminate cigarettes. A common step up is the fat battery version of the 510, commonly an Ego or Riva 510. if you get one of the fat battery models, besides getting 5-8 hour battery life you also get the ability to use more powerful LR (low resistance) attys and cartos that can give a bigger hit and that's what some people need to stay away from cigarettes.

Last edited:

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Its different for everyone...as are the reasons for hanging on to that last daily cig or two. Once I realized that it wasn't the nicotine that was keeping me smoking....I started putting a whole lot of things together. Habit....smoking is pretty easy...I had to find a pv that was easier than smoking. Fear....I was having a very difficult time letting go of the very thing that had stuck with me through thick and thin for 25 years. (silly, I know) Addiction....also keep in mind that cigarettes have much more chemicals in them that we are addicted to than just nicotine. It took my husband 4 weeks to make the switch....it took me 6 months. And there are some who make the switch right away. So it all depends. I wish you luck on a speedy transition, but don't beat yourself up if it takes you longer than you anticipate. You will get there eventually. Holler if you need anything or have any questions. Welcome to the ECF, tlf!

porkchopsisgood

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2011
Cape Coral, FL USA
I've taken one puff of a cigarette since I started vaping on Jan. 4...only to see what the taste was like. I couldn't STAND it! It was like licking an ashtray. I suppose I've been lucky to a fault: if I was still smoking analogs, I'd be at the mercy of my wallet, and not enjoying those either. My choice was as financially motivated as health motivated.

I'm fortunate to relate to most of the posts above: I stopped analogs immediately. If you can forgo your cigs for at least one day, allowing yourself to vape when the mood hits you, you'll find it as satisfying as lighting an analog. Try it!

Now, that being stated, my brother and wife (who I've been able to convert...yay!), still feel the need to light up, but the PV has certainly allowed them to both smoke less analogs. I consider that a victory, albeit a small one. Neither have attempted what I've suggested to you, however. I believe both will no longer find it necessary to light up if they gave their PV's one day alone without "'Mr. Tobacco' around the corner."

Good luck, and I hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of vaping!

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Porkchop....that's funny you mention that. I have been smoke free for over 4 months....took one drag from a cigarette on Wednesday last week and not only did my throat close up...but I'm pretty sure my lungs tried to vomit. It was the most awful sensation, besides the taste. Feels so good to truly believe that I'm a non-smoker. :)

LauraY

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Tucson, Arizona
I got my pv on the 15th, I smoked a couple of analogs the first three days I had it. Then went a couple of days without smoking any. On Friday I was at the bar with my friends and tried an analog and was surprised at how gross it tasted! I've now had 4 days without an analog and I don't plan on having any more! I was a pack a day smoker for 10+ years.

swt_silhouette

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
Boston
I'm struggling with this, right now myself. When I got my first pv. (the Riva), I quit the same day. It seemed so easy I couldn't believe it! Then at about week three, it got somewhat harder. I was trying to share equipment, for one thing, but even when I got another set up, I still felt really distressed and wanted to smoke. When I did smoke, I didn't hate it, like you hear some people do, after vaping, but it was different. I didn't finish the whole cigarette, I felt like I'd already had a whole one after just a few drags!

I still smoke a cigarette or two a day, usually, 1/2 of one at a time. I do feel the health benefits already though, so I want to quit for good. I am increasing my nic level, to see if that helps. I think if I can just get the find the right routine: right pv set up, right juice, I can quit more comfortably. Right now, the juice seems to be my biggest problem, What I like one minute, I can't stand the next, the taste changes, or my lips and mouth burn... That gets aggravating, and makes me want to take an extended break from vaping. That's usually when I smoke.

Last edited:

Turnkeys

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
SW Washington State
Rhapsodies response is much more eloquent than mine. I wasn't going to reply, but my show just ended, and I have this 2-cents thing. lol

From the success stories I've read thus far, I'd say 70-80% make the change almost immediately. Those that don't, like myself, have drastically reduced the analogs they smoke. Mine're near gone and I really can't see myself buying anymore. I'm not finding they taste like licking an ashtray, but the vanilla I've been vaping all day is SO much better.

So, I'd say the answer to your question is probably as varied as the different possibilities there are for vaping. If you've already reduced the analogs, you're on your way. Keep trying different flavors and you'll find the ones that work for you.

Congrats making it this far, and welcome.

aggo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
For the last month or so I've been using the SmartSmoke which was a gift from a friend. It's not a particularly good e-cig so still smoking analogs mostly, but I have reduced the analogs which I consider a good thing. Waiting for my Joye eGo to arrive in the mail and I know that will be much better. I doubt I'll be making the instantaneous switch to full-time vaping overnight but I know I'm well on my way and I can make it happen. It'll just take as long as it takes to completely quit the analogs.

santo19586

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
Saint Cloud FL
I'm new here reading this stuff.

Got a 510 on order. First ecig ever.

Sounds like even if an ecig doesn't make you stop entirely at least it slows down your use of anolog's.

That alone sounds worth the effort.

Guess I will find out.

a couple of friends of mine used the e-cig to quit ciggy's, snd also was able to quit the e-cigs, now they are nic and ciggy free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread