How long to wait before using if I pre mix a batch 70/30 vg pg

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinkydink

Feb 14, 2018
Hi fellow vapers.

How long should I wait before using in my DIY ejuces if I pre mix a batch 70/30 vg pg.
Do I leave in hot water for 15 min or so and give it a good shake and leave overnight or can I use it sooner.
Is it better to mix my flavors first and let them steep separately for a bit then add my vg/pg and nicotine base and steep again.
Hoping for some advice from some seasoned DIY chefs:thumb:

Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Hi and welcome! Leaving a newly mixed juice to steep, and got how long depends on the recipe, reports about what works for other people with the same recipe, and your own subjective opinion on when it tastes best. Some recipes are shake and vape. Some need to sit for several days, stuff like custards bring common. Many tobacco type recipes can benefit from a few weeks. There are to meant variables to give a simple do an x day steep. Best advice I can give is mix it, shake it, and vape it. If it tastes good, you're set. If you find its even better in a week, well you'll know that next time around.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Mix it all at once. Shake it. Vape it. If it tastes good, continue to vape it.

If it tastes "off", let it rest in a dark corner out of sunlight for a few days. That's called "steeping". Then try it again. Rinse and repeat. Well, maybe not rinse, just repeat, you know what I mean. ;)

I've never been a fan of applying any heat to my e-liquids. Heat degrades the nicotine in the liquid, and isn't nicotine the main reason that we are vaping?

Doesn't hurt anything to make your nic base (Pg, Vg, and nic) ahead of time and store it away until you need it. Then you just add your flavor concentrates when ready to make a batch.

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
You mix your juice all together flavors, pg/vg, Nicotine and then steep. You can try it right away to see how you like it. If you like it then vape away or you can give it a steep and see how you like it after a steep, it’s up to you. If you hate it right away it can get better but usually not by much. I’ve never had a juice I didn’t like right away steep and get something I’d mix again. For the most part you should like it right away, at least a little bit. Then the steep process can make a good juice great or a average juice good but a bad juice will get either worse or vapeable, at least that’s my experience. Try them all immediately, take notes and adjust if necessary. Good luck and enjoy the process.

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
If you have more steeped flavors around other than the one you just mixed, don't vape it right away. I don't see the point of vaping it right away if you aren't desperate to get some juice into your tank. Let it sit for some days so the ingredients can blend nicely together and taste better. Keep in mind that the more VG you have in your juice, the more time it needs to steep as VG is pretty thick. Happy mixing :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I kind of view it as the reverse... Steeping is a requirement for some flavors, IMO, IF you want to vape them at their best. Some stuff, it's fine to shake and vape, other stuff, not so much. But, if you are already in DIY mode and have flavors that are ready, I would steep your new ones for at least a week, possibly longer. I try to make enough that I can let my new flavors steep at least a month before I am ready to use them. I actually want to mix, but likely should wait another week before I do.

Unless it's a brand new flavor, I don't usually have a horrible time waiting, and even then, based on my experiences so far, steeping (merely with time, no need for heat or anything else) will almost always IMPROVE a flavor, although there are a few you can just vape right away. I like routines, and my routine (now that I'm pretty confident in my mixing skills) is to wait at least a week before I taste a flavor, and often times longer, as I really have no reason not to.

If flavorings aren't added, I'm unsure why (other than convenience) you would steep just your PG/VG together..... It probably won't do much for you, other than make adding flavors and nic slightly less of a process. So, no reason not to, but no flavoring benefit will really occur.

Best of luck,

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Nikhforos

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Oh I get the opposite from some juice, steeped a month isn't as good as shake and vape with HuckleBerry. It loses that gasoline flavour I love lol. I always test new flavours with shake and vape as the controlled subject. If you test small batchs by the end your just testing a 1 month vs 3 week steep. You'll notice the difference more testing vs shake and vape at each step. My finding were just alcohol ones take 1 week to a month... many that I vape without alcohol... berries, candy,energy drink etc start to lose flavour around 1 month and are best to shake and vape. Test and try for yourself, always the best way to try new things. My rule of thumb is if it tastes gross throw it in the cupboard not the trash lol.

• Useful

jdy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Important part MAKE sure you keep a notebook as your "Cook Book" keep good notes on whatever is mixed in each recipe.

With so many flavors and possibility's you need to be sure of what you have in each bottle that you have mixed. When they are left steeping for a couple of weeks I would usually forget unless they are labeled and in the note book then I can duplicate the great mixes that I really like.

Another Important part MAKE sure to have fun with it.
Good Luck

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread