How low to run my batteries before changing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a single battery mechanical mod and RDA for a couple years, back when they were the big thing. Would run my batteries way down before charging, and use them a lot, so they vented before long. Decided to get back into it to quit smoking again. Bought a geekvape aegis legend and have 2 sets of batteries I alternate, using an external charger. I started to think, a car battery can be ruined by discharging it too much, old cell phone batteries needed to be completely discharged from time to time, so how low should I actually run my batteries before recharging? Should I switch them as often as possible to reduce the amount of discharge, or should they be run pretty low before recharging? I usually try to change them the moment the screen shows the battery level has gone down any

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome back,
The geekvape aegis legend should show "low battery" at about 3.2 volts or so.
Recharge at that time.
Li-ion batteries do not suffer from "memory" issues that plagued older types of cells.
They need to be replaced when internal resistance causes the batteries to hold less charge or over-heat when charging or in use.

Please purchase batteries from trusted vendors and avoid buying re-wrapped or off brand cells from places like Ebay/amazon/social media.

Have a look around in the blog posted by our resident battery expert; @Mooch

Best of luck
I

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Now that you have a regulated mod with the GV Aegis Legend the mod will “regulate” for you telling you when to charge. You would have to look up the cut off for the Legend. But it will be within the “safe” range.

For mech’s I use until I notice a drop off in vapor, way before the batteries are discharged too low to be safe.

Hope this helps.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
You don't need to think about it because the electronics in the Legend or any protected mod take care of it for you. They don't allow the cells to discharge completely as a mech would, but instead monitor the voltage and cut off power when it drops below a certain threshold that is well within the safe limits of the cell.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I used a single battery mechanical mod and RDA for a couple years, back when they were the big thing. Would run my batteries way down before charging, and use them a lot, so they vented before long.
Good lord, how low did you run them? And how low was the build in your RDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread