How many 18650s a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2013
California
I'm not sure if I got some bad batteries or the ProVari just runs through them but I am rotating the two I got with it and I went through almost three yesterday (was on the one I started the day with after recharging, by the end of the day).

I swear on one of them it was only a couple hours from install, to blinking light. Also, how long from when the slow blinking starts, until shutoff (I know there are variables, but generally)?

How many do you go through in a day?

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I'm not sure if I got some bad batteries or the ProVari just runs through them but I am rotating the two I got with it and I went through almost three yesterday (was on the one I started the day with after recharging, by the end of the day).

I swear on one of them it was only a couple hours from install, to blinking light. Also, how long from when the slow blinking starts, until shutoff (I know there are variables, but generally)?

How many do you go through in a day?

What brands and models are you using, sir?

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
And how frequently do you:

Clean your terminals with 99% Isopropyl alcohol? I do it weekly
Clean the threading and apply Noalox to them? I do it monthly
Buildup on the terminals and threads will shorten battery life because the ProVari cannot "see" the true voltage remaining on the battery.

Also, what ohm coils typically and what voltage are you vaping (both are factors in battery life)? I use 1.8 to 2.2 ohm coils and vape at 3.5-4.2 volts depending on the e-liquid. As such, I generally get about 3/4 of a day vaping 6-8 mls a day on the typical 18650 (AW IMR). This would equate to about 4+ to 5+ mils of liquid per battery, I suppose.

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Make sure you get some 99% Iso Alcohol. The full strength is important! I had to buy mine from Amazon, I could not find it locally at 99% strength. You can get Noalox at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Use a Q-tip to clean the positive terminal and the spring. Then clean off that firing pin. I use the alcohol on the male and female threads, then put a couple of drops of Noalox on them and spread it around with a Q-tip.

Here are the instructions from ProVape.

http://www.provape.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=maintenance

Cleaning Instructions - Using the long Q-Tip, wet the Q-Tip with a small amount of Isopropyl Alcohol, then clean the contact pin down inside the ProVari. This contact pin inside the tube can get dirty overtime and its a good idea to clean it once a week to make sure you get a good connection to your battery. Make sure you wipe the contact for a good 20 seconds to get any black stuff off. It should be shiny metal when completed and you will see the removed grime on the Q-Tip. Its also a good idea to clean the top and bottom metal surface on your batteries with isopropyl to keep them clean. You can also use the Isopropyl and Q-Tips to clean the top atomizer connector on the ProVari. Sometimes juice cooks onto the top pin and you can use a paperclip to lightly scrape off any old e-liquid then use the isopropyl and Q-Tip to clean the rest off.

I struck through the last sentence, cause I definitely do not agree with it! I use a pencil eraser which was suggested by Technonut and at least one other poster here. It works just as well without scraping your brass post with a harder metal, which is just a no-no (for me) on general principal.

97df5765-1dff-46a7-a58c-0eee2a877e5a_zps65353a56.jpg

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
@Edd - The 99% alcohol is in my cart (Amazon) & the 6" q-tips are shipped, Noalox is in my drawer. Question - Should you clean the pin, or any of the inside upon receipt? Today's the big day! :D

I cleaned my second ProVari the day I received it, just to start my cycle off right. This may just be my OCD nature, but I felt like it was a great place to start.

My first ProVari went weeks without a cleaning until someone set me straight....it was bad.

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
(...) How many do you go through in a day?

2 of them routinely, bordering on 3 sometimes.

Initially I had the very same questions as you, seeing that anyone else was reporting at least a full day on one 18650.

Then I eventually realized it's my vaping style: long draws, often triplets, and chainvaping like there's no tomorrow.. I no longer use nicotine, for the record.

I've tried everything, from hi-res atoms to constraining myself to single short drags, then eventually got ...... off, bought more AW batteries and the hell with it :D

Note: paradoxically as of recent my battery duration improved with low-res atoms.. Microcoils around 1 ohm (no need to go dangerously low) produce such a sheer quantity of vapor I don't need any more to do long draws or triple draws, and that helps.

Instant vapor, mouthfuls of it, right as soon as you push the fire button. Give it a try ;-)

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
@ Edd...Here's another ?. Does the ProVari come at a 'best' preset level? Sorry, if this is dumb.....just a little worried that I'll mess up.

For what, voltage? No. You should read the owner's manual. Its free on Provape's website. Remember, even if you mess it up, they will fix it for you. Relax.

You don't need to worry about that kind of stuff with a ProVari. As long as you are using coils with an ohm rating of 1.5 to 3, there is not much you can do that will harm your ProVari. Just put your atty on it, set the voltage to what you normally do, and Vape On. I find my ProVari vapes like my older chinese mods did at a lower voltage. I used to be a 4.2 to 4.5 volt vaper. Now I am generally 3.6 to 4.0 volts for most juices with attys ranging from 1.8 to 2.2 ohms.

Of course, I just got an RSST, so my average ohm resistance may drop just a bit when I start making my own coils. I intend to make them around 1.5 to 1.8 ohms...but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread