The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How Many Watts Do You Vape At

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by bcalvanese, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. bcalvanese

bcalvanese Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Just wondering what the average person vapes at.

2. Agonoize

Agonoize Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 5, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I do 4.8 to 5.4 on my provari, using 3.0 ohm boge 50/50 juice. Though i have had some ongoing problems. When working all good normally i am at 5.0

3. LucentShadow

LucentShadow Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 28, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    I'm usually at 8 watts (typically 2.2 ohms @ 4.2v.) I sometimes turn it down to 5.25 or so (2.2 ohms @ 3.4v,) if I feel like chain vaping for a while.

4. appletux

appletux Full Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Chicago
    I guess you can draw a gaussian from 6 to 9 watts

5. Kemosabe

Kemosabe Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin
    i used to rock 8+ watts with my resurrectors, but with my new vivi tank 6 watts is cutting it! its crazy and i kinda dont even believe it myself.

6. tomzgreat

tomzgreat Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Chino California
    That's some mad voltage, which OHM are you using on the Vivi? Oops I thought Volts

7. rondasherrill

rondasherrill Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 19, 2012
    Valhalla
    10.5 watts. Less than 9 watts is just waisting my time. 2.6ohms @ 5.2v.

8. six

six Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    under the blue sky
    It depends on the juice and whatever atty/carto I'm using. Typically, I vape between 8 and 11 watts. Right this moment, the four devices on my desk include a 2.0 ohm atty at 4.6v for 10.5 watts, a 2.5 ohm atty at 5.3v for 11.2 watts, a 1.8 ohm atty at 3.8v for 8 watts, and a 1.7 ohm carto at 3.8v for 8.5 watts.

I do not think that every juice is at its best in every atty or carto at the same wattage. In fact, I don't think that every atty/carto is best at any given wattage either. And, for that matter, my tastes change not just over long periods of time, but even in short amounts of time. I usually start my day at cooler settings and gradually warm up my vape as the day goes on.

9. dnrtn2342

dnrtn2342 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 27, 2012
    columbus, ga
    Currently as I type this im using the nova with 1.8 ohm head at 4.4 v so about 10.75 watts, I never go below 4.2 v on this head. I love the TH and hot vape from it

10. Tiny

Tiny Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I'm in that 5 watt area too with 80/20 PG/VG mix and 3.0 single coil carto in a tank at 4 volts. If I'm using Boba's or Gorilla Juice that's 100 VG I turn it down to 4 watts. Anything higher than that bothers my throat.

11. iamtumus

iamtumus Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

i've enjoyed vaping in between 8 and 16 watts.
    i stick closer to 8 or 9

12. AZCraig

AZCraig Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    10 watts... I mostly vape Ms T's "Cinnamon Danish Banana Coffee" and at that power you really get to taste a lot of the different flavors in it.

13. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    6 watts is usually good for me. Sometimes, I drop to 3.4 with a 2 ohm carto ( just under 6 watts) or 3.7 with a 3 ohm carto. With the 3 ohm, I usually start at 3.7v (under 5w) and graduate to 4.2v (almost 6w) as it breaks in and loses that new carto efficiency.

Dual coil tanks create clouds of vapor at lower voltages. Cartos are probably not as efficient as the better carto tanks because of the feed system that puts the juice right into the coil area and keeps it wet.

Lower voltages seem better with a good VV mod that can maintain the voltage under load or a fresh battery in a non-adjustable 3.7v ecig without regulation. Some PWM mods can prevent the use of an inline DVM to see what we are really vaping at. They just flash 888.

14. Berylanna

Berylanna Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Roughly 4.75-5.75 watts, 70/30 - 50/50 PG/VG, tobacco flavors. Any more watts and I can't taste the flavor. Some folks like it to "feel" like a cigarette, but I would rather taste a pipe-tobacco-like flavor and get clouds of vapor for the "feel" part.

Got a Twist and now I've found I usually set it at 3.6 volts just like my X2's so...I'll probably just keep the ONE Twist for now. I did find it's nice to be able to tweak the voltage (and hence wattage) a little for cold vs hot cartos and phoenixes, it seems unnecessary for Vivi Novas and carto tanks.

15. bacc.vap

bacc.vap Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Virtualville
    I set the Kick to cruise at 8 watts almost all the time. I'll occasionally change it to experiment.

16. egoaddict

egoaddict Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I am usually anywhere between 8-10 watts. I am vaping 70/30 PG/VG mix at 2 ohms.

17. tomzgreat

tomzgreat Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Chino California
    Hello
    To those trying to figure out the Watts.

The Formula is
    Watts = (Volts X Volts) / ohms
    Example- if you vape at 4 volts on a 2.0 Ohm Cartomizer than
    (4*4)/2 = 8
    You are vaping at 8 Watts

or if you feel lazy

This Calculator page is very useful.
    Formula is under
    The second set of calculation called Calculate for Power (last one in that section)
    http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp

18. mostapha

mostapha Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Tonight, 11.3-12.2 on a Vivi Nova with a 1.8Ω head depending on exactly where the current limit is(1) and whether or not the resistance is dropping at high voltages(2)(3). Realistically, I'd guess it's actually around 10W.

Depending on the juice and how I feel I turn it down, but rarely below 8.5W unless the juice just burns that low, at which point it's unlikely that I'll order more of it.

I used to smoke Lucky Strikes and broke the filters off just about anything else. Maybe it has something to do with (insanely) spicy foods destroying nerves in my mouth/throat, but without the heat, I don't get anything out of it……just like I didn't get anything out of "smooth" cigarettes with filters……they just felt like air. And what's the point of destroying your health for that?

Note 1: It's published as 2.5, but I think I remember a steeljan video where she got more like 2.61A out of it.

Note 2: "effective resistance" drops at higher voltages for some weird reason. So some of the high-wattage guys aren't getting all they think they're getting except on a Darwin, Kick, or DNA12……and only if they work the way I think they do. And only if Note 3 doesn't apply.

Note 3: The Vivi Nova heads also don't use non-resistive wire to connect the coil to the connector, so some of that power is actually just going to heating up things that don't have much to do with the vape. IMO, that's the biggest argument for re-coiling them yourself……actually getting the power that you're wearing out your battery for.

19. fxmunoz

fxmunoz Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    2.4 and higher ohm's at 4volts

20. Kemosabe

Kemosabe Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin
    im using the 2.8ohm head. i havent used any other resistance heads yet, but i will soon. i have the 1.8 and the 2.4. still waiting on the 3.2s to be back in stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.