Status
Not open for further replies.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
It depends on the juice and whatever atty/carto I'm using. Typically, I vape between 8 and 11 watts. Right this moment, the four devices on my desk include a 2.0 ohm atty at 4.6v for 10.5 watts, a 2.5 ohm atty at 5.3v for 11.2 watts, a 1.8 ohm atty at 3.8v for 8 watts, and a 1.7 ohm carto at 3.8v for 8.5 watts.

I do not think that every juice is at its best in every atty or carto at the same wattage. In fact, I don't think that every atty/carto is best at any given wattage either. And, for that matter, my tastes change not just over long periods of time, but even in short amounts of time. I usually start my day at cooler settings and gradually warm up my vape as the day goes on.

Tiny

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Wisconsin
I do 4.8 to 5.4 on my provari, using 3.0 ohm boge 50/50 juice. Though i have had some ongoing problems. When working all good normally i am at 5.0
I'm in that 5 watt area too with 80/20 PG/VG mix and 3.0 single coil carto in a tank at 4 volts. If I'm using Boba's or Gorilla Juice that's 100 VG I turn it down to 4 watts. Anything higher than that bothers my throat.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
6 watts is usually good for me. Sometimes, I drop to 3.4 with a 2 ohm carto ( just under 6 watts) or 3.7 with a 3 ohm carto. With the 3 ohm, I usually start at 3.7v (under 5w) and graduate to 4.2v (almost 6w) as it breaks in and loses that new carto efficiency.

Dual coil tanks create clouds of vapor at lower voltages. Cartos are probably not as efficient as the better carto tanks because of the feed system that puts the juice right into the coil area and keeps it wet.

Lower voltages seem better with a good VV mod that can maintain the voltage under load or a fresh battery in a non-adjustable 3.7v ecig without regulation. Some PWM mods can prevent the use of an inline DVM to see what we are really vaping at. They just flash 888.

Last edited:

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
Roughly 4.75-5.75 watts, 70/30 - 50/50 PG/VG, tobacco flavors. Any more watts and I can't taste the flavor. Some folks like it to "feel" like a cigarette, but I would rather taste a pipe-tobacco-like flavor and get clouds of vapor for the "feel" part.

Got a Twist and now I've found I usually set it at 3.6 volts just like my X2's so...I'll probably just keep the ONE Twist for now. I did find it's nice to be able to tweak the voltage (and hence wattage) a little for cold vs hot cartos and phoenixes, it seems unnecessary for Vivi Novas and carto tanks.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Hello
To those trying to figure out the Watts.

The Formula is
Watts = (Volts X Volts) / ohms
Example- if you vape at 4 volts on a 2.0 Ohm Cartomizer than
(4*4)/2 = 8
You are vaping at 8 Watts

or if you feel lazy

This Calculator page is very useful.
Formula is under
The second set of calculation called Calculate for Power (last one in that section)
http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp

Last edited:

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Tonight, 11.3-12.2 on a Vivi Nova with a 1.8Ω head depending on exactly where the current limit is(1) and whether or not the resistance is dropping at high voltages(2)(3). Realistically, I'd guess it's actually around 10W.

Depending on the juice and how I feel I turn it down, but rarely below 8.5W unless the juice just burns that low, at which point it's unlikely that I'll order more of it.

I used to smoke Lucky Strikes and broke the filters off just about anything else. Maybe it has something to do with (insanely) spicy foods destroying nerves in my mouth/throat, but without the heat, I don't get anything out of it……just like I didn't get anything out of "smooth" cigarettes with filters……they just felt like air. And what's the point of destroying your health for that?

Note 1: It's published as 2.5, but I think I remember a steeljan video where she got more like 2.61A out of it.

Note 2: "effective resistance" drops at higher voltages for some weird reason. So some of the high-wattage guys aren't getting all they think they're getting except on a Darwin, Kick, or DNA12……and only if they work the way I think they do. And only if Note 3 doesn't apply.

Note 3: The Vivi Nova heads also don't use non-resistive wire to connect the coil to the connector, so some of that power is actually just going to heating up things that don't have much to do with the vape. IMO, that's the biggest argument for re-coiling them yourself……actually getting the power that you're wearing out your battery for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread