The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How much 3 mg e-liquid equals a pack of cigarettes

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Misacek01, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Misacek01

Misacek01 Full Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Hi,

I'm new to this whole e-cig thing. I am, however, a hardened smoker. I realize this question's been asked a million times, and the answer is usually "it depends". Still, I'd like to know mostly to avoid nicotine overdose (I realize one probably needs to be a ..... to actually harm themselves on 3 mg liquid, but a half-day headache is still something I'd like to avoid), and possibly to plan out e-liquid purchases a bit. Also, I'd like to start making DIY liquids, so knowing how much nic is best for me would save me some trial and error.

It seems obvious from the online discussion that it depends a lot on how you're using the e cig, and what kind, so I'll give specifics for my situation.

I'm a smoker of many years and I usually smoke about 25-30 cigarettes (full-strength; assume e.g. red Marlboros) a day. I've recently bought a Smok One Plus (pen-style, TVF4 Nano atomizer, 2 ml tank), which I'm using with 0.3 Ohm cores (came with device) and 3 mg nic liquid (assume e.g. Cosmic Fog ready-made, 70% VG). I smoke it much the way one would a hookah, i.e., long inhales into the lungs. I like the nice big clouds of vapor. :) I tend to turn it on and chain-drag on it for a while, then take a break when I feel I've had enough (or the battery runs out; I need a bigger battery, darnit :) ).

I'd like to know, given this equipment, liquid, and usage profile, how many ml of liquid, approximately, equals a pack of regular full-strength cigarettes. I don't need the math; the experience of someone whose use profile roughly matches mine would do just fine.

Thanks
    Mike

2. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Please understand that this will be an "educated best guess" kind of answer.

A pack and a half (30 cigs) a day would be roughly equivalent to 18mg nic strength. Since you are sub-ohming, cut that down by at least half. I'd say start out at 6mg and then play it by ear.

1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
    1 ppd = 12 mg
    1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
    2 ppd = 24 mg

*Nothing is written in stone. Some folks are more sensitive to nicotine than others. There are a lot of other variables to consider, too. Most new vapers consume 3-5 ml a day. Since you are sub-ohming, you can expect to consume 2 - 3 times that.
    Vaping is a less efficient nicotine delivery system than smoking. You may find that you will be vaping more frequently than when you were smoking, especially when you first start vaping after quitting. Remember, you are de-toxing the thousands of other chemicals that you are addicted to in cigarette smoke. You'll likely still get cravings. Before long, you'll be able to go longer between vapes.

Signs that you are over-doing the nic would be similar to using too much cafeine: headache, lightheadedness, jitters, nausea, or a "buzz".

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Vapemesilly

Vapemesilly Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 21, 2017
    Nevada
    Yeah, I would think you would be vaping your brains out to overdose on 3mg of nicotine.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I don't think I'd try to approach it like that. First of all, "delivery" varies. Yeah, okay, you are sub0hming, but also quitting, so likely to be vaping more (most people do) out of a desire to "get through" the quitting process. Sometimes people chain vape when stressed. Length of inhale also matters quite a bit and that's not so easily measurable.

3 m.g. in a sub0hm device is perfectly reasonable for someone who smoked the amount you do. Apparently, cigarettes are "better absorbed" (nicotine wise) than e-cigs, so there really isnt a 1:1 sort of "level." I'd say if you are enjoying vaping and not getting symptoms of nicotine overload, you are doing fine. If you start feeling light headed, weak, drowsy, nauseous, etc., then you need to vape a bit less.

I started out at 12 m.g. on a sub0hm device. I was getting WAY too much nicotine. I switched to 18 m.g. in mouth to lung delivery systems and found my "joy" there. I have no idea if I am vaping more nicotine than I smoked, I don't keep major track, but I do make sure I spend some time away from my vapes, although I still chain vape in the mornings. I used to chain smoke in the mornings. So, it's kind of a matter of experimenting, some folks need more nicotine in the beginning than further down the line as well. I think you would have room to go in "either" direction, really, but if where you are at now is comfortable, no reason to overthink it.

Anna

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. SavageCheef

SavageCheef Full Member

Mar 2, 2018

Actually the average "light" cigarette has 1mg of nicotine where others can go up to around 2mg per cigarette. Of course that doesn't include how much of a cigarette you aren't actually smoking, but from my experience with vaping the nicotine level of vape juice vs cigarettes is irrelevant.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Studies that I've read report it doesn't matter if you smoked a regular or "light" cigarette. People who smoke a light cigarette tend to inhale deeper or smoke more frequently just to get their brain's nic level. In other words, a light cigarette is no more healthier than a regular cig; in fact they might be worse if you end up smoking more.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SavageCheef

SavageCheef Full Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Very true, it also does vary brand to brand and the type of cigarette you are smoking. Plus not to mention the 19,000 other chemicals in a cigarette.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MJCSD

MJCSD Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 7, 2014
    usa
    Hello and welcome to ecf

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  9. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    Not sure why one would have a half day headache, unless you just keep vaping after the too much nic symptoms start to manifest. The effects of nicotine are short lived, it's why we needed to keep smoking all day. The equipment was a bit different six years ago but I was a 2 pack a day smokers and used 24 to 30 mg juice when I quit.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. bwh79

bwh79 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon
    That's why they can't call them "light" anymore. They've all switched to colors now, Camel "blue" and Marlboro "gold" and whatnot. Go look. There's nothing called "light" (or "mild," etc.) cigarettes (in the US at least) anymore.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. rollersk4te

rollersk4te Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    Actually I find it quite odd that they changed that, but nothing has been said about brand names like "Virginia Slim" which imply smoking is a weight loss solution.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. evan le'garde

evan le'garde Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 3, 2013
    I used to smoke about 30 cigarettes a day. Now i vape, mouth to lung, about 3ml of 24mg juice a day.

The way i see it, if i were vaping 3mg juice direct to lung i would expect to be vaping "24ml's" of juice a day.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  13. uthinkofsomething

uthinkofsomething Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 7, 2015
    Toledo, Ohio
    I guzzle down anywhere from 15 to 20 mls of 3mg juice a day through very subohm gear, large clouds and flavor. Some of my gear tends to vape a little "wetter" and i eat a little more juice than i should sometimes and i get queesy. The equivalent is less about nic strength and more about your tank and how you run it. One atomizer can be pretty different from another. I vape a little more than i would smoke i suppose. If your coils are over .5 ohm you might be able to take 6mg but i recommend sticking with 3mg nicotine.

• Like Like x 3
  14. NealBJr

NealBJr Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I can tell you've done your research, but I think you're in the right zone for what you're used to. Wtih a cloud chasing setup, I think 3mg is a good level. There is no true scientific study that can equate how much nicotine your body when vaping, since there are so many variables in vaping. It would have to be done on a case by case study. If I had to give a best guess, I'd say what you're doing is fine. Many others use 3mg on a cloud chasing device. Just look for the symptoms and montior your feelings. If you start to feel light headed, then you know you've had enough, and just back off for a bit. When I first stopped, I wondered the same thing, and gave up the chase to equate how many cigarettes my ejuice is equivalent to. Now that I think about it, I don't know why I would want to.. to me, it's like asking how many protein bars will I need to eat while bicycling to equal my driving a 30mpg car... there just really isn't an easy answer, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Now, as far as your bigger battery situation... that is why many of us have switched to a multiple battery mod and external charger. my "sweet spot" for batteries, is a dual battery mod with two or three sets of batteries. While one set is charging, I can put in another set. Makes life much easier.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Canadian_Vaper

Canadian_Vaper Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 30, 2015
    ON. Canada
    The general consensus is a person will absorb about 1mg of nicotine from a tobacco cigarette (a 20 pack a day = 20mg)
    From the best I can find we absorb roughly 50% of our nicotine so at 3mg (1.5mg/ml)

So to absorb the same amount of nicotine using 3mg as you would 20 cigarettes you'd have to vape about 13ml

Keep in mind though some cigarettes have a lot more nicotine than others and some much less so these are just averages.

another thing to note was the nicotine absorption was tested with MTL devices, direct lung devices could be less or more, I have a feeling it's less though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. stols001

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Virginia Slims are so named because they are a "skinny" cigarette, although maybe the weight loss thing is subliminal. I smoked one... Once. They were my SIL's brand, and I don't know how she sucked ANY nicotine out of that thing. I sure couldn't. I guess they could impair appetite, as I'd have even less time to eat, if I had to smoke ten of them to equal one "normal" cigarette. LOL.

Anna

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    The pod mods use a MUCH higher nic strength than 3mg and use NIC SALTS which again have a stronger nic content.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Misacek01

Misacek01 Full Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Thanks all! I'll go with your advice and stick with the 3 mg. (Actually, I already mixed some homemade liquid yesterday that I set at 4 mg to see if there's a difference; I'll see how that goes, I can always dilute it.) Since some of you said you use over 10 ml per day at that strength without ill effect, and, given how much I smoke, I certainly should have a fair tolerance for nicotine by now, I guess I'll stop worrying about anything below that amount.

Right now I'm at about 4-5 ml / day, combined with about 10 regular cigarettes (less than half my all-smokes consumption). I'd been worried that I might be overdoing it, but from what you say and from the numbers above, it seems 10 ml @ 3 mg might fix me up fine assuming no cigarettes.

As far as the battery, yeah, if I stay with this habit, I'll probably invest (some of the massive amounts of money I'd be saving compared to cigarettes) in a more serious device.

A propos, on the one hand, a box mod would be nice in that it has (usually) dual batteries and a lot of optional settings; on the other, I don't think I'd care for the bulk. It doesn't matter at home of course, but when I'm out, I usually dress in jacket, shirt, pants as my "casual" outfit (guess I'm just unusual that way :) ), which doesn't have many pocketses and all bulges show. I try to avoid hauling a bag around whenever I can, and I do my best to only take essentials I really need.

I was thinking I might try to go for a mech mod - not so much for the ability to DIY cores (not feeling up to that, at least, not yet), but because it has replaceable batteries while retaining a compact format that you can keep in a jacket or pants pocket. Something like the Vgod Pro Mech, for which you can get the Tricktank, which accepts ready-made cores. And if I ever decide to DIY the cores, I'd only need to replace the atty (IMO the Tricktank doesn't take DIY).

I'd still have to haul around replacement batteries, but a single free battery (that you can put in some other, as-yet unused pocket) is probably still more practical than a box mod. Also, while I don't particularly mind if people stare, a mech tube is still a lot less conspicuous than a big hulking box.

Now, since I've got y'all here, I might as well ask if you think what I outlined above is a workable solution. Particularly, I've heard that with mech mods, you need to understand electrical engineering a bit to avoid pulling a Galaxy Note 7 (blown battery :) ); and I don't really trust myself with that, at least as far as home-built cores go.

However, if I use a tank with ready-made cores, I should avoid most of the risks of a mech, right? It should then be mostly about getting the right battery for the core (IIRC it's a 0.2 Ohm core with 80W design output - BTW, is that enough?) and making sure not to over-discharge it... or am I missing something?

Thanks again
    M.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. stols001

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Mechs are typically not vaped with drop in tanks, for a reason currently escaping me (someone is going to tell you, though, the reason). Also, I wouldn't be thrilled to death to carry a mech mod around in my pocket at work due to the possibility of accidental firing, so you would have to take the battery out and carry it separately in a battery case for safety. I think if you can get a mech mod with a "hybrid" connection you might be able to do it, but I think those can also have failures.

I would consider trying the smallest, lightest 2 battery regulated mod instead. My vote is for the Eleaf Invoke. It is almost as small as a single battery mod and super light, without sacrificing quality or build. It's so SMALL and really one of the lightest mods that I own, and it gets good battery life. I really would take a look at it (and its manufacturer specs) because I don't think it would be hugely bulky in a pocket, and it would be SO MUCH safer and easier to use something like that than a mechanical mod.

Unfortunately, most tube style mods tend to have much lower wattage ranges than you are going to need for an all day vape.

I won my Eleaf invoke, and it is my very favorite win to date, and I use it every day. I would strongly suggest taking a look. Mine has been super reliable, I've dropped it a couple times, and absolutely nothing bad happened.

Best of luck, I don't know a ton about mech mods, unlike lots of other folks on the board who use them, but it wouldn't be my first choice for you for an all day carry about vape. I just think it brings up huge safety issues, and drop in coils vary a great deal in quality, there is always the possibility of a bad coil causing something bad to happen. You really want to learn to build for a mech and you will need to know ohm's law, caring for batteries safely, the vape changes as the battery discharges, and there is no guarantee that you won't need more than one battery for a day's use anyway. I would not (personally) bring any sort of mechanical mod to a workplace as an all day carry, it's just not practical for many reasons.

Best of luck, but I think maybe taking a look at some other options might be wise, or at the very least, learning a LOT more about mechanical mods and their pluses and minuses. I am not really the gal to educate you, but I am sure someone will be along to clarify stuff.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  20. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I get a full days battery use with a single Samsung 30Q 18650 3000mah battery in this box mod. JAC Vapour series B DNA75W. Not all box mods are bulky and this one is quite compact and pocket friendly.

[​IMG]

I think you need to do more research and educate yourself before you buy your first mech mod. Even if you use pre-built coils, you still need to know how to use an Ohm's Law calculator and know which battery to use with your particular coil resistance.

The VGod Pro Mech is a direct battery, or hybrid-top mechanical mod. It is not a beginner's mech mod. It has no 510 center pin, which means the center pin on the mod is missing, requiring a special atomizer which has an EXTENDED CENTER PIN. To use anything other than an atomizer with an extended center pic is a sure means to disaster.

There are more mod explosions with hybrid tops than any other mod. Uninformed users seem to be attracted to these types of mods and they are exactly not the people to be using them.

There is a special section on direct battery mods in the above link on mech mods. READ IT.

[​IMG] no 510 center pin in the hybrid top

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.