Status
Not open for further replies.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
This isn't going to be real accurate, just a general idea. I bought 240 ml of 36 mg nicotine at GP for $5.99 (super sale). I can mix that with 1/2 VG (already have) and some flavoring I think I also paid $5.99 for 30 ml of flavoring.

So for $12.00 I can make 480 ml of juice. Add $10.00 maybe if I had to pay for VG or PG. So about $22.00 for 480 ml. Not counting shipping or bottles. And this is only one flavoring. If your paying $15 for 30 ml, it's a saving for sure. Like I said, not real accurate.

Is it worth the hassle? It is cheaper. But I have made lots of juice I didn't like. You have to add in all the flavorings, misc. supplies. I don't like it better than juice I can buy, but it is a savings.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I kinda went overboard and invested about $60 in syringes, graduated cylinders, extra bottles, a nicotine test kit, etc. So there's an up-front cost in equipment.

For me, it turns out that I can make 50 ml. of 18-20 mg./ml. flavored e-liquid for $2.50 to $3.50, depending on the flavor. That compares to $15 or more (sometimes much more for the same volume of "store-boughten" e-liquid.

I like to DIY, though, for two principal reasons:

1. I also cook, so it's second nature coming up with e-liquid recipes that suit me perfectly, both as to flavor and PG/VG ratio.
  2. I know exactly what's in that bottle of e-liquid, especially with regard to nicotine strength, since I test my concentrated nicquids and know their concentration fairly precisely. You don't necessarily know this with "store-boughten," and there's really no way to test a prepared e-liquid.
YMMV . . .

Last edited:

DummyMe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
North Carolina
It can be cheaper to make, once you buy the stuff you need to mix it up. Also you can mix the proper nic. content you want & make different mixtures of flavors that you like.

But, please be carefull if you buy high strength nicotine to mix with. If you get 60 or 100mg/ml stuff, it is dangerous. Wear gloves, a waterproof apron & safety glasses. Mix carefully & accurately. Getting high strenght nic on your skin or worse yet vaping it, it can injure or kill you.

Also, be careful mixing flavors, I just mentioned on another thread that I mixed some beer flavor. It was too weak, so I added more flavor, unfortunately I added pear flavoring, not beer! That was a weird tasting juice.

But, it does save you money!

GiMp LEg DoNKey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
NC
It can be cheaper to make, once you buy the stuff you need to mix it up. Also you can mix the proper nic. content you want & make different mixtures of flavors that you like.

But, please be carefull if you buy high strength nicotine to mix with. If you get 60 or 100mg/ml stuff, it is dangerous. Wear gloves, a waterproof apron & safety glasses. Mix carefully & accurately. Getting high strenght nic on your skin or worse yet vaping it, it can injure or kill you.

Also, be careful mixing flavors, I just mentioned on another thread that I mixed some beer flavor. It was too weak, so I added more flavor, unfortunately I added pear flavoring, not beer! That was a weird tasting juice.

But, it does save you money!
Pear and beer......I bet that was interesting at best

TVC70

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
AZ, USA
My most recent batch was as follows: 120ml 36mg PG nic juice and 120ml PG from RTS Vapes, and a bottle of Humco glycerin from Walmart. After mixing to my liking, I ended up with a 320ml batch of juice for a total outlay of about $24.00 from RTS and about $3 from Walmart, so roughly $27 total. I vape plain unflavored juice, so no flavor costs. That works out to $0.84 per ml, which is $2.53 for 30ml. Considering most places have 30ml bottles for $12-15+, that's a heck of a savings. It doesn't always work out this way. I normally would order VG from RTS too, which would cost a few bucks more than the walmart stuff, but I had the 6oz bottle of Humco sitting there, so I used it this time. Still works out damn cheap.

My only equipment for mixing are a few different sized squeeze bottles from Tasty Vapor (love their bottles!) which are very cheap (don't recall specific prices), a couple of 10ml medicine syringes from Walmart (they come with a bottle stopper and medicine measuring "spoon" for about $2-3), and my existing pair of rubber kitchen gloves. That's it.

edit: The syringes are actually 5ml. I had 10ml on the brain for some reason. :facepalm::D

edit 2: Just looked up the bottles from TV. They range from $0.65 to $1.00 apiece depending on size.

Last edited:

TVC70

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
AZ, USA
A note on the "flavorless" juice, btw. It isn't really flavorless. It actually has what someone else here described as a "carmelly" flavor, which sounds about right to me. The degree of flavor can vary according to PG/VG ratio and nic content. Nic has been described as "peppery," which I'd also agree with, though my juice is low nic enough that I don't get that flavor, only the carmelly one. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread