How much does water in a diy recipe reduce vapor production?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyJones

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2012
Clearwater, FL
floridalawweb.com
I like a lot of vapor so I mix my eliquid at greater than 60% VG. I recently started including 5% distilled water in my recipes and it seem like there has been a dramatic reduction in the amount of vapor I get. I decided to experiment with water simply because I figured it was a cheaper way to reduce cost because water is much cheaper than PG.

How much does water reduce vapor production?

vodka seems cheaper than PG also, how does vodka affect taste and vapor production?

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
5% DW isn't going to reduce vapor much if any. I thought PG was cheaper than vodka but what do I know....I don't use either. The more vodka you use the more TH you'll get and the thinner your juice will be which may be a good thing if you are using high VG. It will help your juice wick better. Whether is reduces vapor I can't say but I would guess it would a little depending on how much vodka you use.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

How much does water reduce vapor production?

That's a kinda a Hard Question to answer.

For me and my DIY and the way I vape, very little. But for someone else it may.

I use 99.5% Anhydrous Vegetable Glycerin in my DIY. This means that my VG has .5% (or less) water in it. It is Thick. Very Thick. Somewhere between Pancake Syrup and Honey. Way to Thick to make a Wickable e-Liquid at High Percentages. So I add Water to it to bring it to the a Viscosity that is a Tad Great than Pure PG.

But I have seen VG that is sold for DIY that is Thin and Runny. Perhaps the Retailer has Cut Down their VG with Water. Or perhaps they are selling a VG with a Lower Anhydrous Level. I dunno.

Also as Roly mentioned, Voltage plays a Huge role in all this. If DIY mix "A" is Thinner than DIY mix "B", I tend to run DIY mix "A" at a Higher Voltage. And Higher Voltage means More Vapor per Unit Time with Power On.

I think what you will find with All Things DIY is you just have to do some Experimenting with what does what with Your Mixes and Your Hardware.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
It is helpful in DIY to first dilute your VG with distilled water. To get VG to about the same viscosity as PG, so you're not clogging up your coils - somewhere around 80:20 - VG:H2O is good. ECOpure and Decadent Vapours' Aqueous Glycerine use an 83:17 ratio. I wouldn't use any more than 20% water or less than about 12%. Experiment to find what suits you best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread