Status
Not open for further replies.

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
I feel like I am vaping more than I smoked. I used to smoke only 1/2 pack a day of menthol light. I am using 12 mg nic about one EVOD tank a day and wondering if I am getting more nic than when I was smoking.

Most new vapers will, at least initially, vape more than they smoke. This is a perfectly normal phenomenon. After the "newness" wears off, vaping habits seem to stabilize for most folks. How much juice you go through will essentially depend on what your habits become as you fully transition over to vaping. This will take some time.

As for your question, there really isn't a good comparison to a pack of cigarettes, as there is no direct correlation between vaping and smoking. *IF* you are concerned about it, then I recommend you make a conscious decision to track your vaping habits and work to keep them identical to your smoking habits. For example, if your first smoke was with your morning coffee, then wait to vape until then too, and keep your vaping session to about the same length of time (if you took 8-10 minutes for a smoke, then vape for 8-10 minutes per session).

Most people don't actually worry about this once they realize that they have cut out all of the dangerous carcinogens that are caused by the combustion of tobacco products. It is a much safer and healthier habit to have! Of course as always, YMMV.

HTH and Good Luck!

Hoot48

Feb 27, 2012
Palm Springs, Ca.
I have found that one can get carried away at vaping in my experience, because vaping doesnt make me cough or feel like Ive been smoking..I tended to vape more than I needed. Also the numbers you are seeking is an example of comparing apples to oranges. Like previous poster mentioned..it may take a while to find your equalibrium.

Hoot

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
Don't worry about how much you vape, regale yourself in the half pack of cigarettes a day you are not smoking. Your body will tell you what's right for you. Some days, I'll vape like crazy and then I'll have days where I go easy on the vape. My biggest cause of excessive vaping is sitting here reading posts with my Four Amigos lined up, loaded with different flavors!!!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm not sure why that I have never been able to find any Definitive data on Nicotine Absorption Rates for e-Cigarettes? But I can tell you this.

Analogs Nicotine mg is rated as the Amount that the Average Smoker absorbs into their body when they smoke a given brand of cigarettes.

So if Brand X says that a Cigarette has 1mg of Nicotine, that means that if the Average Smoker smoked this cigarette they would Absorb 1mg of Nicotine into their body. And if this smoker smoked a Pack a Day, they would be Absorbing 20mg/day of Nicotine.

Whereas e-Liquids are measured by the Total amount of Nicotine in 1 Milliliter of Volume. Not what is absorbed. If a vaper vaped 5ml of 18mg e-Liquid in a day, they would be taking in 90mg/day.

How much of this Actually Absorbed? Numbers vary depending on who you take to. Clearly, much of the Nicotine is Exhaled in a normal hit in same way that Not all of the Oxygen is Absorbed when you breath in and breath out.

I'm of the Option that e-Cigarette Nicotine Absorption is around 20%~30%. But this is just my Opinion.

For more reading, you might Check Out these threads...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ette-vs-e-cigarette-nicotine-equivalency.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...312547-nicotine-absorption-contradiction.html

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
If you smoked a 1/2 pack a day, each cigarette contained about 10mg nicotine, most was burnt off and you did not absorb the 100mg nic that was contained in the smokes. Most often quoted measure is 1mg for an average cigarette. If you vape 12mg juice, about 3mL in an evod a day, that's 36mg, but again you're not absorbing all the nicotine available.

The numbers can freak out a new vaper, but they are not comparing anywhere near the same quantities. Along with the fact that cigarette smoke makes it easier to absorb the available nicotine because the smoke particles are much smaller that the vapor particles. If you vape just enough to kill the cravings to smoke, you're at the correct level.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
First, congratulations on letting your body tell you how much to vape. Don't try to relate it to what you smoked. Many really smart people have spent a lot of time trying to figure out a direct relationship and usually conclude there isn't one… or at least there are too many variables to make a definition.

I ignore nicotine concentration; after all, there are different strengths of cigarettes and the government doesn't tax based on that. From observation here, I roughly define three milliliters of e-liquid, including three one milliliter cartos, is approximately equal to a pack of twenty tobacco cigarettes, and a thirty milliliter bottle of e-liquid is approximately equal to one carton of ten packs of cigarettes.

Your one EVOD tank (1.5 ml) equates to half a pack of cigarettes using my definition.

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
We will have the figure in the not too distant future. It will be determined by some government bureaucrat when he is given the task, for
taxing purposes, to calculate how much juice it takes to equal a pack of cigarettes. Then the cigarette tax will be applied to that amount of juice. This bureaucrat will not have to be a scientist or even have smoked a cigarette in his lifetime but prior IRS experience will be a plus.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
If you smoked a 1/2 pack a day, each cigarette contained about 10mg nicotine, most was burnt off and you did not absorb the 100mg nic that was contained in the smokes.

That is correct.

I have other reasons for wanting to know though, has to do with surgery and nicotine.

So it has nada to do with figuring out my level or worrying about vaping too much.

Seems to me we should be able to get "close" to some figures here. :)

really smart people have spent a lot of time trying to figure out a direct relationship and usually conclude there isn't one… or at least there are too many variables to make a definition.

Correct too. Guess I may not be able to get close after all.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
We will have the figure in the not too distant future. It will be determined by some government bureaucrat when he is given the task, for
taxing purposes, to calculate how much juice it takes to equal a pack of cigarettes. Then the cigarette tax will be applied to that amount of juice. This bureaucrat will not have to be a scientist or even have smoked a cigarette in his lifetime but prior IRS experience will be a plus.

All he has to do is look a at NJOY ad that says a one-milliliter carto is equal to two packs of cigarettes and we'll be paying the tax of two packs of cigarettes for every milliliter of juice we buy.

• Useful
Reactions: elencius

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
... From observation here, I roughly define three milliliters of e-liquid, including three one milliliter cartos, is approximately equal to a pack of twenty tobacco cigarettes, and a thirty milliliter bottle of e-liquid is approximately equal to one carton of ten packs of cigarettes.

You definition lacks one important variable. What is the nic concentration of your e-liquid?

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
I feel like I am vaping more than I smoked. I used to smoke only 1/2 pack a day of menthol light. I am using 12 mg nic about one EVOD tank a day and wondering if I am getting more nic than when I was smoking.

I find I take more hits from the vape in a day than I took drags from my cigs back when.

As stated, it is conjecture. However, (looking at the web, EVOD has 2ml?) I'm very similar intake to you. OK, maybe I'm a bit more, as I go through roughly 3 to 4ml of 12mg juice per day.

As long as you aren't feeling the over nic symptoms, and you have satisfied your cravings, then what you are doing is right for you!

I can totally see how new vapors could overdo it, as there is no ashtray overflowing with dead stinky butts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread