How much more maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
How much harder is it to keep the electrical contacts and the threads, free of corrosion and contamination, of stainless vs copper and brass Mods? Does patina on threads and contacts result in voltage issues?

When it comes to vaping equipment, the big difference between Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Brass and Copper isn't corrosion, it's that all but Stainless Steel are soft/malleable metals and the 510 threads will wear out/strip LONG before corrosion becomes a factor. Plated steel is a different story, It will corrode once the plating wears thin or is scratched. Patina (natural or artificial), could produce a slight variation in conductivity between threaded parts, but it isn't likely to as the abrasion/grinding action of screwing parts together should keep the "contact portion" of threaded areas clean and highly conductive. For areas that are not threaded, surface patina (corrosion), makes absolutely no difference in voltage (conductivity). The brass battery contacts (pins) should be kept clean, I buff mine twice a year.

Last edited:

Smann245

Aug 16, 2014
USA
Surface corrosion absolutely affects conductivity. With mechs the inside usually doesn't corrode or get the forced patina treatment so there is still a large, un-corroded path for current to flow. If you've ever seen a car battery that has clean terminals and connections, but when the battery cable insulation is removed the cable is completely green and the resistance of the cable is through the roof, you know this to be true. Everything else in the post was spot on.

drippaboi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2014
SF Bay Area
For my full copper mods I generally clean patina off of the pins contact ends every few days or so, if they are neglected I can usually go a few weeks before noticing a big difference. Threads get a thorough cleaning once a month. My SS beater with brass contacts hasn't needed any real cleaning for 6 months so far.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Yeah i know surface patina/oxidation, only affects points of contact.. I was mainly concerned with threads and contact in switches and atty post.

I want a copper mod, but am not comfortable with threaded copper. Work fine when you you thread it and forget it, like plumbing. But I just wonder how many batt changes and atty removals I'll get before the threads are gone. Brass is a little harder than copper, so maybe I'll go that way. Stainless would be more durable, but is very boring. Aluminum, IMO, is, too soft also. I do not want plated or painted metal, except maybe silver or gold on the contacts. Well maybe Black on copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread