How much nic do you vape versus how much you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
Someone's going to ask, it may as well be me.

So let's say you just quit cigs, you're vaping 24mg, it makes you feel a little bit light-headed but kind of gives you the 'hit' you get from smoking. Now you're moving down to 18 which is fine it's the natural step down. But you're vaping all the time. You don't get that heady hit from the 24 so you vape a lot more.

This is a really simple question. What is the friggin point of 'stepping down' from let's say 24mg to 18 when you don't get the same hit at all and you are constantly chasing it and quite possibly taking in ten times more nic to satisfy yourself?

This isn't a challenge I'm just asking why some people give amazing success stories about starting off at 24 then moving down to 12 or even 6. 18 vaguely pacifies me, but not the same as 24 which is an 'instant hit' but it also makes me anxious and scared and I don't know why.

Am I one of those people who will never find a happy balance? It feels like it at the moment.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
In a few more weeks you probably won't even be thinking about it. Remember when I said I have a bunch of different nic levels around here? I still do, and I don't even really notice much difference when I change out my juices - unless I'm dripping. THEN I notice right away.

Other than that, though, time will fix your issue for you, I'm almost sure.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
In a few more weeks you probably won't even be thinking about it. Remember when I said I have a bunch of different nic levels around here? I still do, and I don't even really notice much difference when I change out my juices - unless I'm dripping. THEN I notice right away.

Other than that, though, time will fix your issue for you, I'm almost sure.

I'll wait it out then. Thanks Zoe x.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
This is something I completely fell into. I did the same as you, 24mg to 18mg, then started to try coming down from there. One day I started accidentally vaping 0mg in the morning, what I used before I went to bed, and didn’t notice for hours. And boy did I notice then. But now I’m using the 0mg most of the time and when I feel I need nicotine, I use that tank for a bit and then back to 0mg. Knock me over with a feather but it’s working and easier than mixing my way down a mg or two at a time. YMMV

Last edited:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I vape 0 nic juice unless I am suffering a massive craving and then I vape 1-3 mg for the hour or so it takes for the craving to pass. That happens MAYBE once a month at this point :)

Holy cow! Really? 1-3mg works for you? I'm impressed. Good things to look forward to. Thanks! :)

VaporClouds

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Bethel Island, CA
I went from 24 mg after i first quit smoking about 7-8 months ago, than down to 12 and now ive been at 6mg for the past 3 months.
The best part about moving down in nicotine imo, is that once you get down to like 3-6 mg, you can vape on pretty much any device you want to and be satisfied. If i were to vape 24 mg in a mech for instance, that would probably kill me lol.

Diogenes

Moved On
Nov 5, 2013
Justice, IL
18 vaguely pacifies me, but not the same as 24 which is an 'instant hit' but it also makes me anxious and scared and I don't know why.

Well, I will tell you why! It's because you've using more nic than you need.

When I started vaping, I ordered 36mg, thinking I was a heavy smoker, so that should control my cravings. It was unvapable. I would get headaches, anxious, etc from it. I got some 24mg, and it was better, for a while. I found a flavor I loved, and would hit it like a red-headed stepchild! Headaches, anxious, etc yet again. Now I'm on 18mg, and I'm making a conscious effort to take it easy. Sitting infront of the computer here, I'm like a human fog machine tho...

Good things come to those who wait.......

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Holy cow! Really? 1-3mg works for you? I'm impressed. Good things to look forward to. Thanks! :)

Honestly I think it has more to do with the delivery device than anything for me. My RDA is built to give me the thick plentiful fog and solid throat thump I need to FEEL satisfied. My Actual NIC needs at this point are nearly nonexistant.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
Lots of great replies here, thanks. So weird the discrepancy between 24 and 18. One makes me think I've got the 'smoking' hit, the other makes me vape all day chasing it. Will 20 work? That was a theoritical question. I think I'll keep trying the 18 the 24 just knocks me sideways and I was a heavy smoker and they weren't weak cigarettes.

Vaping is not an exact science. Seems everyone knew this but me lol.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
I actually started at 18mg, which was a bit much for me, so I went to 16mg. I noticed that I was getting nic sick from the 16mg so I got some 12mg for evenings. Eventually, it was all 12mg for me. I find myself vaping too much again, so it's time to drop it down some more. Again, I will try 6mg in the evenings, and 12mg during the day, and see what happens.

Today, I was at a vape shop grand opening and was vaping mostly 18mg testers. Way too much nic for me. I really think that everyone is different and you should just do what feels right to you. Over time it will settle down.

ace077

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
California
I started with 36 mg in a protank 1 a couple years back, now I can drip anywhere between 0 and 36 and be fine, 18mg or higher in a dripper has a monster throat hit but you get used to it. I usually use 12, seems like a solid baseline. I do it for the throat hit as much as I do the nic at this point. However the point is, no matter what you will build a tolerance, just like when I used to dip, Grizzly wintergreen used to make me feel like I couldn't walk at month 1, by month 3 It was almost entirely gone, if you chase a buzz, you will never catch it really unless you have a baseline and you are jumping above it by 2 levels or more ( 6mg to 18 or 12 to 24) so try to get your baseline down to 0 or 6

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I think that everyone's "nico-stat" is a bit different.

Also...and this is a bit subjective..."Need" is not only nicotine but ritual. A bit...compulsive/habitual/reflex.

I went to mow the neighbor's yard the other day and forgot to bring my PV. It was a last-mow of the season and took more time (like 2 hours). I was OK with it.

However, if it was available to me, I'd have vaped.

We all have to cut down at our own rate...if we choose. Nic has some benefits too.

It's different than smoking or even smokeless tobacco use, IMO. The nic "buzz" isn't the same, not as fast, and doesn't last as long. So vapers tend to puff more too.

I think I'll cut back, eventually. Who knows? But I wouldn't suggest you worry about it too much OP. Not right now. Get over the cigs first. That can take a while. People that cut back too fast can fall back. Unless you have other advice, like medical advice, that requires you to get off nic quickly. 24 mg or 18 mg plus more puffs. Meh. To each their own.

You'll find a balance. You did with cigs, I assume.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Honestly I think it has more to do with the delivery device than anything for me. My RDA is built to give me the thick plentiful fog and solid throat thump I need to FEEL satisfied. My Actual NIC needs at this point are nearly nonexistant.

Your idea of throat hit and the vast majority of vapers is quite different. Regardless of the PV one is using, there is no throat hit with 0 nic eliquid. Warmer air, but no throat hit. I have vaped 0 nic on a mech and it's just warmer air with no hit what so ever. I would challenge anyone to vape 16 - 24 mg nic eliquid and then vape 0 eliquid and tell me the throat hit is the same or even exists at all in the same way 16 - 24mg nic liquid provides throat hit.

Only those who want no throat hit at all will find 0 nic eliquid satisfying IMO.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Your idea of throat hit and the vast majority of vapers is quite different. Regardless of the PV one is using, there is no throat hit with 0 nic eliquid. Warmer air, but no throat hit. I have vaped 0 nic on a mech and it's just warmer air with no hit what so ever. I would challenge anyone to vape 16 - 24 mg nic eliquid and then vape 0 eliquid and tell me the throat hit is the same or even exists at all in the same way 16 - 24mg nic liquid provides throat hit.

Only those who want no throat hit at all will find 0 nic eliquid satisfying IMO.

So sorry I can set my RM2 up to give me a solid throat thump even at zero nic. Just raise the coil high enough off the platform. You are right I don't like it super strong but I do need some so I figured out how to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread