How much will vaping save me? My one year vaping cost experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pav

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Detroit Rock City
Hi All,

I've been vaping for about 3 weeks and am convinced now it is the way to go over analogs. Right now I'm down to 3-6 analog cigs a day and hope to be done for good soon. I'm starting this thread mostly for my own personal amusement, but also to maybe show others how much can be saved by vaping. I'm not a gearhound (yet!) and I like the M401 so far so I'm going to stick with it and just buy the essentials to keep vaping. My goal is to get off analogs for good and save as much money as possible in the process.

I'm looking at the math like this. (U.S. Dollars)

Cigarettes were costing me roughly $10 per day. (I smoked 1-2 packs per day at $6.50 a pack in MI. Marlboros. )

If I were to buy one Atty and one battery at $10 a pop per month, plus one 10 ml bottle of juice per week at $10 a pop or $40 a month, that makes my total cost $60 a month to vape. And I think that's being generous as I could get more life out of the attys and batteries. Realistically I could see spending $50 a month. Maybe even less as I'm not sure how fast I will go through the juice yet. The initial investment included buying the kit that included chargers and carts, but after that I can see the price per month dropping significantly.

So to compare

Smoking = $10 per day or $3650 per year 8-o

Vaping = ????????

I'm going to start adding all my costs here and we'll see how much I spend in one year. My vaping expenses so far are:

Start date will be 8-20-09
$66.00 = 1 Truesmoker Trinity M401 kit (+shipping)
$25.00 = 2 10ml Juice bottles (Cherry-Marly)
$36.00 = 2 10ml Juice bottles (Honeydew-Razzberri) - 1 M401 Dragon atty
$3.00 = 1 box of Lipton PTBs
$2.00 = 1 pair of tweezers

Total so date: $132.00

I will update this thread once a month with added expenses and then work out how much was spent in a year. :cool:

Last edited:

Drunkwaco

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
Denver Colorado
Yeah, I wish some of these Quit Banners would have a place to list how much you've spent on vaping supplies and subtract that from the "dollars saved on analogs" number.
I've seen on that does that but it didn't have a link for it and wasn't interested at the time if i find it i'll try and get you the link

chrisl317

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Warren, MI USA
I broke even at around $200. It cost me about $13 a week to vape now. I have all the spare parts I'll need for awhile so my only overhead is a 30ml bottle of juice every 2 1/2weeks. As you can see by my sig, vaping has more than paid for the switch over.

P.S. It used to cost me $13 a day for analogs (2 pack a day smoker)

Twisted

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Hagerstown, MD
Haven't worried about how much it's saving me - I just can't put a price tag on my health and life.

Can't disagree with that! Chemotherapy is a little expensive as well... But it is fun for me to keep an eye on the savings. currently I think I have enough to last a year or so but I could not resist ordering a JS over the weekend so now I'm back to zero.. HA...
I guess its more of an excuse to "stock up" now... Gota love this sport!

Pav

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Detroit Rock City
Haven't worried about how much it's saving me - I just can't put a price tag on my health and life.

Agreed and this is by far the reason I'm vaping. However, if there are financial savings in addition to better health, than that's just icing on the cake. Plus more money to pay bills will help reduce my stress level, thereby providing an added health benefit.

So I'm at one month and here's the Vaping cost total so far. I think this is high because it includes 2 full M401 kits, a spare atomizer and 4 bottles of juice. I expect prices to fall per month in the future. We'll see. I did have my first Atty die on me after almost a solid month of use.

Smoking Costs per month
$305

Vaping Costs
Aug-20 to Sep 20 = $186.00
$66.00 = 1 Truesmoker Trinity M401 kit (+shipping)
$25.00 = 2 10ml Juice bottles (Cherry-Marly)
$36.00 = 2 10ml Juice bottles (Honeydew-Razzberri) - 1 M401 Dragon atty
$3.00 = 1 box of Lipton PTBs
$2.00 = 1 pair of tweezers
$55.00 = M401 Kit

Last edited:

Nokosa

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2009
Maryland - United States
www.youtube.com
I've done some math myself on this issue, and I gotta say... the price difference is pretty shocking.

One year on E-Cigs:

Cigs + Various Parts: $170 (Give or Take)
Liquid: $240 (Give or Take)
Carts: $30 (Give or Take)

Total: $440 (Give or Take)

One year on analog cigs at an average of $6 a pack:

One pack a day for 365 days: $2190
Two packs a day for 365 days: $4380

One pack a day savings per year: $1750
Two packs a day savings per year: $3940

It's amazing. I say give or take because it's all dependent on how much you smoke. Could be more, could be less.

Pav

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Detroit Rock City
It's amazing. I say give or take because it's all dependent on how much you smoke. Could be more, could be less.

It is amazing. I'm using the give or take methodology too since some days I smoked a pack and other days 2 packs. I'm guessing there may be some hidden maintenance costs too with PVs, but still much cheaper. At this point it's seeming like about half the price of analogs, but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread