The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How often do you press your Squonk bottle?

Discussion in 'Liquid Feed APV Discussion' started by Anise, Oct 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. AngeNZ

AngeNZ Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Keep in mind that I've only been squonking for a few months:

For me it is the sound.

It started with my RTAs, I soon learnt the difference in sound between a 'perfect wet build' and a 'crappy dry build' ;) When I started squonking - this carried across.

But I'm also an oversquonker :D

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Blitzdonlife

Blitzdonlife Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2012
    Central Texas
    On .5 Ohm spaced kanthal a1 coil on a protected, straight voltage squonker, 1 squonk per 2 long inhales. .8 Ohm, one to three. Every now and then, usually 4-7 days apart, I get a dry hit. On checking, it's user error, the bottle ran dry.

When I squonk I do this thing to prevent too much oversquonking. I very lightly draw on my atomizer, and when the suction/sound changes, I stop squeezing and start firing/inhaling. Probably not the best method, or what most people do, but this works for me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blitzdonlife

Apr 24, 2012
    Central Texas

Off topic (my random specialty)

Your stated atomizer preferences/reviews have strongly influenced the RDA's I've purchased. It seems we share many of the same qualities in an RDA. Thank you for the shared insight.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  4. Jebbn

Jebbn Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2018
    Australia
    I found I over squonked rda's and was using twice the amount of juice I would using a rta, tank or rdta.
    I ended up using bf rdta's and consumption went down.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Blitzdonlife

Apr 24, 2012
    Central Texas
    When I dripped in an RDA, before I squonked, I used more juice than other atomizers in my arsenal. I think you are confused on the terminology. Squonking requires a bf atomizer/mod. Dripping is using an RDA, minus the hollow bf positive pin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Pigs

Pigs Ultra Member

Supporting member
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    I squonk when the flavour starts to get muted - it's a dead giveaway that your wick is drying out. I can honestly say I've never had a dry hit in 4 years of vaping all kinds of rebuildable attys. Squonking right now and I guess it's become automatic although I do take a peek every now and then.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Pigs

Pigs Ultra Member

Supporting member
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    My favourite squonk RDTA is the Vapefly Galaxies . So nice to be able to squonk as a refill and have continuously wet wicks from the RDTA wicking action.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Pigs

Pigs Ultra Member

Supporting member
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    I love the Pyro 2 as a bf RDTA

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I used a Reo Grand and a few rdas with BF setups for over a year. What I found was when I squonked juice would enter the rda and when I let off the bottle most of the excess would be drawn back into the bottle, leaving me with a very consistently saturated wick. I would set up my coils to give me the vape I wanted with that saturation level. I did find I had to do shorter squonks when the bottle was full to keep the wick saturated without having juice leak through the air holes.

I was vaping at around 30 watts back then and I would squonk every second drag. I would think if you vape at less power you probably need to squonk less often and still be able to maintain vape consistency.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Anise

Anise Vaping Master ECF Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    I'm currently vaping a Geekvape aegis Squonk at 35 watts. I'm squonking after 2 drags and so far it's working well. I noticed on my Pico Squeeze 2 and my Hcigar Aurora that I vaped at lower wattage and if I squonked this often I'd oversquonk. I was so hoping there was an easy formula for all my squonks but I guess I'll just have to adjust for each one.
    I'm definitely going to be looking into rdta! I just hope I can find a couple inexpensive ones as funds are at an all time low.

• Like Like x 2
  11. VHRB2014

VHRB2014 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2014
    Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
    Being able to hear the action of the vape is very important. The noise of the action (snap, crackle, fizzing) will drastically subside once it starts getting dry. This is your "tell" it needs more juice. While most rda's have minor capacity differences, the one Im using most of the time, a Reload X, needs a reload about every 5 or 6 hits. This particular rda I am vaping tcr at 68 watts and 400f on .18 ohm coils. I vape like you, long deep pulls.

Bol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jebbn

Jebbn Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2018
    Australia
    I squonked using bf rda's then moved to squonking with bf rdta's.
    Not confused at all

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    I squonk two times in the morning, I squonk two times at night.
    I squonk two times in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright.
    I squonk two times in in times of peace, and twice in times of war.
    I squonk two times before I squonk two times, and then I squonk twice more.

Squoning is Sublime. :D

Seriously, I squonk every time I pick up the vape. It's the only way to be sure. I use small chamber MTL atties that were designed from the get-go to be squonked. That means they do not have wells that hold juice. Instead, they drain the excess juice back into the bottle the moment the pressure on the bottle is released. This keeps the excess juice from getting cooked in the atty, which is one of the benefits of squonking, but it also means squonking is necessary more often.

YMMV depending on the equipment you're using. Couple of tips for the new squonkette:

1) To get a sense for how hard/long to press the bottle: Pull the drip tip and look down in the atty. If your coil is wicked right, it not necessary to cover the coil in juice. You only need juice to reach the bottom of the wick.

2) You'll need to squonk harder/longer as the level of liquid in the bottle drops. A full bottle doesn't need much of a press. An almost empty bottle needs far more.

3) If you squonk immediately after taking a hit you can tell when liquid gets to the atty by the fact that it will push residual vapor out of the air holes and drip-tip.

4) If you're using a mech or unregulated squonker that lacks a battery gauge, putting in a fresh battery in every time you fill the bottle lets you use the liquid level as an ersatz battery gauge.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. Zaryk

Zaryk Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I don't even think about it anymore, it is pure instinct. I guess I squonk roughly every 5 hits on average. The flavor is the key, it is your clear warning sign when it starts to drop.

I have been eyeballing that one. I would be interested in your opinion on how it works out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Yup. After a while, it becomes "muscle memory". Much like driving a manual transmission, which be quite awkward at first, but once you've done it for a while it will be second nature and gives you more far better control.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Opinionated

Opinionated Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain

The Galaxies RDTA as well comes with a BF pin.. (just trying to help with more choices)

$22.13 (Free Shipping) Authentic Vapefly Galaxies MTL Squonk RDTA Rebuildable Dripping Tank Atomizer (Galaxies MTL Squonk, SS + Glass, SS Color) at m.FastTech.com

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  17. jcoopercam

jcoopercam Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 29, 2009
    :blink:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Blitzdonlife

Apr 24, 2012
    Central Texas
    Oops, my mistake. Guess I was the confused one lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  19. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Different attomizers take a different squonk action, at least in my experience. My Nano takes a light short squonk while the Entheon can handle a heavier and somewhat longer squonk. I was a charter member of "Over Squonkers Anonymous" and overcoming that was just experience. Even so, I still fall off the wagon. I revert to my irrationally exuberant squonking habits and am left with a bit of a mess.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. Mordacai

Mordacai Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    I squonk before every vape @Anise, better safe than sorry.

And what type of atomisers do you prefer using, MTL or DTL?

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.