The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How old were you when you came "out"?

Discussion in 'Gay Group' started by TxTrouble, Feb 10, 2010.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Nighteyes

Nighteyes Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Western MA
    heh...at my brother's college graduation party yesterday my aunt tried to corner me and remind me of the dream she had of me doing GREAT things for God...including having 3 beautiful children and a loving wife.... I was drinking a beer when she was saying that and nearly sputtered all over myself. Ugh...and this was AFTER she was asking me how my mate was doing since he hasn't been able to come around much lately due to lack of funds from being laid off at work 6 months ago. Maybe she thought I was having second thoughts and considering the move back to the light side. Asked if adopting 3 beautiful children would count. She wasn't really amused by that hehe.

Thanks Auntie Bible Thumper, way to lay it on strong! hehehe. Is it not possible for me to do GREAT things and have such a loving guy by my side at the same time? apparently not haha. Love her still but damn, talk about being smooth >.<

2. tybin

tybin ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 17, 2010
    WA
    nice reply to her:)

3. Nighteyes

Nov 4, 2010
    Western MA
    hehe, she is still a very close person to me but sometimes (when the wine is flowing strong with her) she could be a pain :p

4. bornagainst

bornagainst Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 22, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    I had a relative say that to me, ignorantly enough...so my response was just as ignorant.

While breeders are breeding, we're busy leading.

Kind of snotty, but I was that kind of kid.

:)

5. tybin

Supporting member
    Sep 17, 2010
    WA
  6. Nighteyes

Nov 4, 2010
    Western MA
    well Born, you kinda are a snotty punk so that is not unlike you :3 *waits to get smacked* hehe j/k

7. bornagainst

Aug 22, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Like others, she's the aunt who hits the wine pretty hard too, so she's really one to judge.

8. Nighteyes

Nov 4, 2010
    Western MA
  9. bornagainst

Aug 22, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    I think everyone has a relative who loves the kooky juice enough to where they are the authority on everything.

10. Nighteyes

Nov 4, 2010
    Western MA
    lol then you should hear about her forrays with my father when they were but youngsters...omg were they bad, but then again it was the 70s that they were running around getting into trouble hahaha.

11. vapbear

vapbear Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    I came out as Bi to my close friends and my mother when I was 21. My mother said that my relationship with my then girlfriend was probably just a phase and I would "snap out of it soon". My then bestfriend responded "oh so I guess I'm just not your type"....that was weird and uncomfortable. I ended up marrying a man with whom I have a beautiful daughter and a comfortable marriage that lacks passion on my end. My husband knows that I'm bisexual and that I sometimes feel I made the wrong choice getting married, but he's my bestfriend and I can't stand the idea of hurting him so I just stay put. I don't know if I'll be able to resist women for the rest of my life and if I reach a point where I absolutely can't stand it anymore then I guess I'll have to leave my marriage because I wouldn't want to be sneaky about it. I can't say that I regret being with my husband because without our marriage our daughter wouldn't exsist, but I often feel like I'm living a lie. I guess life is just complicated.

12. debb

debb ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    in the nj woods
    yes vapbear..life is complicated...I stayed in a "marriage" for 25 yrs...and 3 children...I was unhappy and lonely...but I loved being a mom...so I stayed...but I did eventually leave and tweaked my life to MY liking...I missed out on a lot in my young years...but I am happy now...we all ended up friends...which reminded me of the "Reba" show...lol...my kids father passed away about 2 mos ago...it was very sad for all of us...

13. vapbear

vapbear Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thank you for sharing your story Debb....it sounds like you've been where I am and you understand the struggle. Right now I'm just not in any position to "rock the boat", but deep down I know that at some point things will have to change if I'm ever going to experiece true happiness. I also feel that my husband deserves to be with someone who can want him and only him since I know that's what he wants. Life is complicated and most of the time there are no easy answers. I'm glad that you are happy now and that you and your ex-husband were able to continue to be in eachothers lives. I'm very sorry for your loss.

14. debb

debb ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    in the nj woods
    thank you, vapbear..:)

15. bmwjen

bmwjen Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 2, 2011
    worldwide
    I was 30, but my mom always knew. I eventually married a man 4 years later.

16. Nighteyes

Nov 4, 2010
    Western MA
    Uh ohhh, aunti Bible thumper strikes again! Was at my folks yesterday for dinner and she and a friend of hers from church came over. She's in the choir there and damn she has a good voice on her, she's also one of the few in the choir who knew the truth that I was asked to step down from the church orchestra due to being outed anonymously 2 years ago.

Anyways, the choir friend came over to talk to my dad, then she turned to be and asked how I was doing, and that she missed seeing me at church and playing in the orchestra (I was the church French hornist, and a darn good one if I do say so myself haha). She then asked if I ever planned to come back (which implies passively if I had plans to switch off teh gay...come on I'm not a bloody flash light, there is no on/off switch LOL) I was like "it would be nice to play again, but alas, my days in the orchestra are probably done..." to which she replied "ah...well that is a sad shame.."

oh man, talk about trying to rub in a guilt trip. I wanted so badly to return it with "is 'john doe' still having an affair with my cousin?" (yep black sheep run throughout my family, myself included apparently haha) my cousin who is married with 2 snotty brats for children was in the choir too and she was messing around with a married fella....BUT I was the one who had to leave due to my gayness...anyways, just thought I'd post some family spam hehe

17. mfraz25

mfraz25 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    The Peach State
    I actually didn't get to come out. I was 16 and working as the dj at a gay club that my mom was invested in and the actual owner of the bar told my mom. Then she asked me about it and wanted to know why I didn't tell her. My girlfriend, on the other hand, was 34 and told her mom she was divorcing her husband and moving in with a younger woman she had fallen in love with all in a week. that was a very uncomfortable conversation.

18. Nighteyes

Nov 4, 2010
    Western MA
    oh my....I can imagine how uncomfortable that must have been. My brother outed me to my mom, and my fiancee accidentally inadvertently outed himself to his mom when she was talking to him about his school stuff....and well kept asking "anything else you wanna tell me?"...."no"..."Anything ELSE you wanna tell me??"...."NO"..."ANYthing ELSE you wanna TELL ME???" "FINE YES, I HAVE A BOYFRIEND!!!!" well....little did he know that she was only meaning about his school LOL

19. mfraz25

mfraz25 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    The Peach State
    haha. My mom asked me once when I was 13 and this is exactly how the convo went
    Mom: Are you like your sister?
    Me: Huh?
    Mom: Are YOU like your SISTER?
    Me:I don't understand the question mother.
    Mom: Goodness, ok.. ARE YOU GAY?
    Me: OMG mom, NO!

20. tybin

Supporting member
    Sep 17, 2010
    WA
    I was told by mine she knew I was at 5 because I played with guns:?:

She still thinks all Gay people would want to be straight if they could take a pill:facepalm: