How Philip Morris Plans to Screw Us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejuiceconnoisseur

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2013
Melbourne, FL
It took me a while to follow this particular trail of breadcrumbs… but if there’s one thing I’ve learned in life it’s the fact that there is always a trail of breadcrumbs. In an official report filed this month (June, 2013) by Altria Group Inc. to the Securities and Exchange Commission, the corporation announced it’s recommendation to the FDA that the agency (among other questionable things) include in their regulation of E-cigarettes (or MRTP- Modified Risk tobacco Products) guidelines to “Good Manufacturing Practices that enable consistent product performance and reduce variability.” Remember the terms in bold print… these are the terms that will attempt to bury the smaller, healthier e-cigarette companies.

It has already become apparent that Big tobacco companies are referring to e-cigarettes as tobacco products, which is inherently false. Nicotine is derived from tobacco, true, but it is no more tobacco than Premarin is horse piss... (click here for the rest of my article)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
It took me a while to follow this particular trail of breadcrumbs… but if there’s one thing I’ve learned in life it’s the fact that there is always a trail of breadcrumbs. In an official report filed this month (June, 2013) by Altria Group Inc. to the Securities and Exchange Commission, the corporation announced it’s recommendation to the FDA that the agency (among other questionable things) include in their regulation of E-cigarettes (or MRTP- Modified Risk Tobacco Products) guidelines to “Good Manufacturing Practices that enable consistent product performance and reduce variability.” Remember the terms in bold print… these are the terms that will attempt to bury the smaller, healthier e-cigarette companies.​

I would just like to say that you left out the "for the children" argument.
That is the one that is most likely to crush the smaller players.​

ennagizer

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
South Florida, USA
I personally don't think that "Good Manufacturing Practices that enable consistent product performance and reduce variability" is such a bad thing, in and of itself. Don't we all want consistency with the products we use? I'm not just referring to ecig product, but all products we use in our day to day lives. I know when I use a product I expect it to be the same every time I purchase & use it. Why should ecig product (or any other product) be exempt? Now, I think the drawback might be standards being too high and costly for the cottage industry manufacturer to comply with. But, then again, maybe it won't be.

BigBen2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
MA, USA
It looks like Tobacco Cos are gambling that our vendors offer inconsistent nic levels, regardless of the label.

I think they'll fail, but I'm not sure. It's a strong argument. They will fail if they keep referring to e-liquid as a tobacco product.

Either way, e-cigs could eliminate analogs completely, so they do have a big stake in this. Studies have already demonstrated a 30% success rate for e-cigs, as a smoking cessation product, and it could be much higher. That's a pretty big industry, that's about to disappear.

Campaign finance being what it is, this is going to be an uphill battle.

ejuiceconnoisseur

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2013
Melbourne, FL
The problem is that this phrase is designed to sound sensible to anyone who might read it. There's nothing wrong with the statement itself, like you said. The actual problem lies in the way that Big Tobacco defines the phrase for their own purposes. In my original article, I sourced out to the actual Big Tobacco statements where they actually brag about the fact that they are looking forward to working with the FDA to develop "good manufacturing practices that enable consistent product performance and reduce variability" so they can use free-nicotine, a mechanically processed and enhanced form of nicotine that is much more addictive than regular, naturally-occuring nicotine. Let me highlight: They actually BRAG about it and freely ADMIT what they plan to do!! They don't feel the need to hide it at all because they are working hand-in-good-ole-boy hand with their buddies at the FDA. Make no mistake, there are many, many laws, regulations, restrictions, safety measures and guidelines, production and manufacturing standards, etc. that sound perfectly reasonable on paper, but are systematically misused and warped by the very organizations responsible for writing them in the first place. We actually do live in a corrupt society... it's not a conspiracy theory anymore. This ..... actually happens every day.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
This stands out to me. “Good Manufacturing Practices,” which will require consistent product performance and reduced variability.

I agree that ejuice makers make sure they are putting the correct amount of nicotine in the ejuice they sell. Who is going to regulate the mom and pop ejuice makers? Right now I am only purchasing ejuices made in the USA. I'm not going to let someone in China decide what the right amount is.

There has to be a fair solution to this, but I'm not sure what the answer is.

ennagizer

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
South Florida, USA
Who is going to regulate the mom and pop ejuice makers?

I'm thinking the same organizations that regulate and inspect restaurants, food processors, manufacturers and retailers. I'd imagine a license would be needed just as licenses in many other industries & professions are needed. Training too.

ennagizer

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
South Florida, USA
Every time the subject or controls and regulations comes up ...
I wonder how in the world our movement survived so long without regulations.
(Sarcasm)

I think it's because the powers that be realize ecigs produce no harm to public health, so there's no big rush. That and the FDA is very backlogged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread