How safe are batteries for 6v mods these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markus

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Los Angeles
When I was looking at reviews of the Silver Bullet, there was talk back then that the required batteries aren't really protected - has anything changed with that? Are those for example "protected" now TENERGY 2 RCR123A 3.0V 750MAH RECHARGEABLE LIFEPO4 LI-ION batteries ? I mean it says there that they have various protections, but I'm not sure if those are the protections reviewers were talking about

Thanks

When I was looking at reviews of the Silver Bullet, there was talk back then that the required batteries aren't really protected - has anything changed with that? Are those for example "protected" now TENERGY 2 RCR123A 3.0V 750MAH RECHARGEABLE LIFEPO4 LI-ION BATTERIES ? I mean it says there that they have various protections, but I'm not sure if those are the protections reviewers were talking about

Thanks

The Tenergy RCR123a LiFePO4 3.0V batteries do a great job. I've been using them for 6V for over a year and haven't had any trouble other than needing to occassionally replace a pair. They do indeed have a protection circuit that detects if the battery is failing and "kills" it before it can cause any damage. I'm using them right now with dual coil cartomizers--the lower resistance would fry most attys at 6V, but the dual coils can handle it beautifully.

If you want to try 6V, those are definitely the batteries you want to use...you'll just see lots of warnings that you're doing it at your own risk because whenever you stack batteries, there is a chance they could fail and you want to make sure you're using protection to avoid getting burned (sometimes literally).

Thanks for the reply Thulium, and since you brought up the atomizers - are regular 510s ok for 6V? I can't use the LR 510s for sure, right?

Right on both counts. A 1.5ohm "low resistance" atomizer at 6V runs at up to 24Watts which will kill most atomizers--6V actually works (and very well) with the dual coil cartomizers since the load is split between the two coils and there is enough surface area to create a thick warm vapor--but a typical 510 atomizer (normally about 2.5ohm) will work pretty well at 6V. Just make sure to keep plenty of liquid on the atty--as soon as the flavor starts to drop off it is time to add another drop or two or you'll get a very unpleasant flavor surprise if the atomizer gets too dry. 6V can run a little too hot for some and mute some flavors, which is why some mods aim for about 5V or...as pointed out above...you can get atomizers with slightly higher resistance for HV vaping, but its probably easier to save your pennies for a variable voltage mod so you can try different voltages for yourself.

Last edited:

Markus

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Right on both counts. A 1.5ohm "low resistance" atomizer at 6V runs at up to 24Watts which will kill most atomizers--6V actually works (and very well) with the dual coil cartomizers since the load is split between the two coils and there is enough surface area to create a thick warm vapor--but a typical 510 atomizer (normally about 2.5ohm) will work pretty well at 6V. Just make sure to keep plenty of liquid on the atty--as soon as the flavor starts to drop off it is time to add another drop or two or you'll get a very unpleasant flavor surprise if the atomizer gets too dry. 6V can run a little too hot for some and mute some flavors, which is why some mods aim for about 5V or...as pointed out above...you can get atomizers with slightly higher resistance for HV vaping, but its probably easier to save your pennies for a variable voltage mod so you can try different voltages for yourself.

I just got the Ultramax today, very incredible performance! I'm curious about the dual coil cartomizers you mention, could you recommend good ones or is any brand fine?

I just got the Ultramax today, very incredible performance! I'm curious about the dual coil cartomizers you mention, could you recommend good ones or is any brand fine?

I've tried a few different ones, but I'm not sure if they were all SmokeTech or not, but the SmokeTechs are quite worthy. The VaporCast Store has them for just $10 for a box of 5 here: (5-pack) Dual Coil Low Resistance (1.5 ohm) 510 XL Cartomizer - The VaporCast Store

If you want a wider selection, check Avidvaper.com: Cartomizers - Dual Coil Cartomizers - Avid Vaper

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Batts can vent through the positive end.
Some mods have vent holes on the negative end.
If batt vents I hope vent holes are not blocked w/ debris and vent route is sufficient to prevent over pressuring. I feel metal tube big batt mods would have more dangerous explosive potential.
There is also the fire hazard. Don't worry too much; your cell phone or lap top batt could vent as well.

Markus

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Markus

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Batts can vent through the positive end.
Some mods have vent holes on the negative end.
If batt vents I hope vent holes are not blocked w/ debris and vent route is sufficient to prevent over pressuring. I feel metal tube big batt mods would have more dangerous explosive potential.
There is also the fire hazard. Don't worry too much; your cell phone or lap top batt could vent as well.

yeah, I think you're right about the not worrying too much part. Besides, the Ultramax actually has a vent hole.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Right on both counts. A 1.5ohm "low resistance" atomizer at 6V runs at up to 24Watts which will kill most atomizers--6V actually works (and very well) with the dual coil cartomizers since the load is split between the two coils and there is enough surface area to create a thick warm vapor--but a typical 510 atomizer (normally about 2.5ohm) will work pretty well at 6V... 6V can run a little too hot for some and mute some flavors, which is why some mods aim for about 5V or...as pointed out above...you can get atomizers with slightly higher resistance for HV vaping, but its probably easier to save your pennies for a variable voltage mod so you can try different voltages for yourself.
Well with the Tenergy 3V Li-PO4s, you are not vaping at '6V'.

Here's a test by tonyfalcon.

That's a pair of freshly charged Tenergy Li-PO4s firing a standard Joye 510 (2.1Ω) showing the loaded/vaping volts. Those are the ones that count, and would be used for a WATTs calculation.

Tenergy_3vLiPo.JPG

And that's when they are fresh, you can expect them to dip below 5V after about an hour. Dumwaldo has a vid where he did a similar loaded volt test using a DSE901 atty with the Tenergys, he got about ~5.2V.

The OP asked "How safe are batteries for 6v mods'? Those Tenergy's sagged about 28%, under load, with a Joye 510 (from their unloaded, original voltage).

Look at this AW2600 with the same Joye 510.

Joye2.1_AW_1865.jpg

That's about a 9% sag.

Why such a big drop/sag for the Tenergys'? Because they are being worked much harder than they are designed for, they basically can't provide the 2.9A that would be needed for 6V in this case. Also note that with a 1.6Ω DC that sag would be even greater.

Here's a clue from Tenergy's site.
Rechargeable LiFePO4 RCR123A 3.0V 750mAhBattery

Life cycle: 2000 times (Traditional Li-ion: 500 times)
Never explode or catch fire
100% Compatible with Disposable CR123A Batteries
Working Voltage:3.2V and Peak Voltage: 3.6V
Charging cut-off voltage: 3.6V
Discharge cut-off voltage: 2.2V

Please never overdischarge battery below 2.2V/cell
Charge the this battery with LiFePO4 RCR123A smart charger.

Capacity: 750 mAh

Maximum discharging rate:< 550 mA

Is it safe to push them that far past their rated spec? In that test they are discharging at 2500mA.

Markus

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Well with the Tenergy 3V Li-PO4s, you are not vaping at '6V'.

Here's a test by tonyfalcon.

That's a pair of freshly charged Tenergy Li-PO4s firing a standard Joye 510 (2.1Ω) showing the loaded/vaping volts. Those are the ones that count, and would be used for a WATTs calculation.

Tenergy_3vLiPo.JPG

And that's when they are fresh, you can expect them to dip below 5V after about an hour. Dumwaldo has a vid where he did a similar loaded volt test using a DSE901 atty with the Tenergys, he got about ~5.2V.

The OP asked "How safe are batteries for 6v mods'? Those Tenergy's sagged about 28%, under load, with a Joye 510 (from their unloaded, original voltage).

Look at this AW2600 with the same Joye 510.

Joye2.1_AW_1865.jpg

That's about a 9% sag.

Why such a big drop/sag for the Tenergys'? Because they are being worked much harder than they are designed for, they basically can't provide the 2.9A that would be needed for 6V in this case. Also note that with a 1.6Ω DC that sag would be even greater.

Here's a clue from Tenergy's site.

Is it safe to push them that far past their rated spec? In that test they are discharging at 2500mA.

Hi Willy B,

I don't understand much about batteries, but the ones in the picture are not the ones that come with the ultramax UltraMax RCR123A LFP 3.2v Rechargeable Batteries-Pair: Your source for the best electronic cigarettes / personal vaporizers in the world.

Whatever voltage I'm actually getting out of those, the result is pretty sick. I will have to try lower nicotine juice on it, because the 36 Ultrapure or 24 Halo juices are too much at this voltage.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA

Markus

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Just a new wrapper, here's the original.

The specs are identical.

http://www.tenergybattery.com/index...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=27

The new.

Tenergy 30200 LiFePO4 RCR123A 3.0V (3.2V) 750mAh Rechargeable Battery

Of course it is, in the above pics the watts (Power/heat) is almost double with the Tenergys.

I asked for somebody from Innovapor to give their opinion on the whole thing, I'm honestly a bit confused here. So you're saying that the Ultramax does not work at 6v, and that the batteries are getting overworked? Could you please also elaborate on the part about the watts? Are you saying, that it's the watts responsible for vapor/th? If I'm getting it right, it should be 2.86 watts with those batteries (assuming 5.2v), you say that is double - in comparison to what?

Thanks for you patience in advance, like I said, I don't know much about those things yet.

Markus

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I've tried a few different ones, but I'm not sure if they were all SmokeTech or not, but the SmokeTechs are quite worthy. The VaporCast Store has them for just $10 for a box of 5 here: (5-pack) Dual Coil Low Resistance (1.5 ohm) 510 XL Cartomizer - The VaporCast Store

If you want a wider selection, check Avidvaper.com: Cartomizers - Dual Coil Cartomizers - Avid Vaper

Great recommendation Thulium, I just got them today and have been trying them only at 3.7v on the ultramax so far. The experience is really outstanding! I'll try them at 6v later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread