How should I support my local shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whenwillitendx9

Nov 25, 2013
Oklahoma
I have an AWESOME local shop but the mark up on the prices to have stuff now is kinda insane. I usually buy my juice from them and my batteries but when it comes to full on mods I can't justify paying double to have it now. As for example: I was in the shop today looking at a Nemesis clone. They have it for $65. I can order it on line for under $30 and have it in a couple of weeks maybe even a couple of days. I just can't justify doing this but I really like this shop and want to support them. On Kanthal and rba parts I am going to buy it online in bulk compared to baying $2 for 3 feet. If I want to try a new gauge I will buy it from them but I can't just buy from them all the time. I feel guilty going into the store and checking something out then ordering it online. The Nemesis clone is what really bothers me. If I order it online and then take it into the store then I will feel really bad. What should I do?

wonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
USA
Talk to the manager. Tell him you would like to support his shop but cannot justify the price markup. Unless he is a jerk, he will likely understand and offer some incentive.

Any vape shop owner should know that a certain number of people who come in have already shopped online and understand the price difference.

The question is if he cares or is he just out to stiff the new switchers.

whenwillitendx9

Nov 25, 2013
Oklahoma
It is a family owned and ran business and I have kinda became friends with them. I haven't mentioned much about online prices. I have asked where I should look online for the Chi-You and he kinda didn't want to say anything about it. I just don't want to be a ..... I guess I could lie and say someone sold it to me or a trade or something.

erikbal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
Olean, NY
I understand where you're coming from. The only vapor lounge in town just opened up fairly recently and I really like their juices and the owner is a really nice guy. I have bought like 9 bottles of juice from him (he makes his own and has over 100 flavors) and while I enjoy them it gets expensive paying $1/ml. I also recently purchased an MVP2 from 101vape that would've cost me double if I went through him. I do get replacement heads there now and then even though they're more expensive and I buy some juice from him whenever I have some spare cash. He has a certain juice that I am just in love with and can't get enough of! He's a one man operation and I like to support him when and how I can. It doesn't stop me from buying online too though. I also refer several people to him and tell them to tell him that I sent them. I think he likes that and it makes him feel good.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
It is a family owned and ran business and I have kinda became friends with them. I haven't mentioned much about online prices. I have asked where I should look online for the Chi-You and he kinda didn't want to say anything about it. I just don't want to be a ..... I guess I could lie and say someone sold it to me or a trade or something.

If it were me, I would go to a well known, reputable online vendor and find out how much it would cost, then go to the local B&M and tell them you are considering purchasing it from the web. I would also tell him that you would prefer to support his local business if he could meet somewhere on the pricing. I would NOT have this discussion in front of other customers, NOR would I quote ridiculously low prices from fasttech, or some other cheap vendor, that is not the point. Ensure he understands your desire to support him because he is a local shop and you want to see him succeed. If he truly isn't out to rip folks off, he should be willing to do something for you. He may not match the price on the web, he does have overhead costs associated with his business, but he may offer a discount of some kind, or throw in some free juice (if they make their own, he can really afford it).

Again, that's what I would do ... as always though ... YMMV!

HTH

Sucker_dad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
topeka, ks, USA
I am a big believer in supporting local or you won't have one. But that kind of markup is ridiculous. A Nemesis can be had for 23-29 on FT. You can get them on Ebay for about $40. If your friendly with the guy just tell him that. Maybe he will do something for you. If not then don't feel bad getting it elsewhere.

nemoishouse

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
www.facebook.com
I'm with ya. I stop in and talk vape with them and occasionally buy some juice. The juice I love in a 15ml is $13. Ordered a 30ml online for $16. I guess it's fairly new to some that don't realize it's cheaper online but I believe you're paying more for a convenience of getting it now rather than wait for it to be delivered. My .02

Vape on!!

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
I'm with ya. I stop in and talk vape with them and occasionally buy some juice. The juice I love in a 15ml is $13. Ordered a 30ml online for $16. I guess it's fairly new to some that don't realize it's cheaper online but I believe you're paying more for a convenience of getting it now rather than wait for it to be delivered. My .02

Vape on!!

Convenience is only part of what you are paying for. You are also paying for shop overhead, employee salaries, insurance, etc., all of which has to be worked into product in order to try and turn a profit. If a shop doesn't turn a profit, even a little one, then the shop dies.

HTH

whenwillitendx9

Nov 25, 2013
Oklahoma
I have bought 3 different mods from them so I guess buying one online isn't that big of a deal and I made them a testing station (a bar that holds all the tanks with juices in them for taste testing) for their shop. I guess if I do feel super guilty about it I can always make them something else for their shop. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Now I just have to hope they don't see this post because I know they browse this forum :-/

Last edited:

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
I hear you. I have three local shops here and I purchased my first kit at one of them. I payed $67, out the door, for the parts that make up Evod kit, minus the wall plug, plus 10ml of juice. At the time the Evod kit sold from $35-$50 online. I did something uncharacteristic for me and that was to not check prices online. I didn't really feel too bad because I knew it would be somewhat more expensive and I was new to vaping and wanted a bit of hand holding. I suspect that's where most local B&Ms make their money, with new vapers. That and juice sells . When I frequent any of the local shops, the majority of customers are people who want to know what vaping is all about. The local stores also tend to carry mostly lower end stuff and I think that's why. I would not feel bad going into a local shop with something I bought online, as I'm sure most owners aren't stupid and know that what they sell is available for less. I think asking for a better price is good idea, particularly if it's a more advanced item that they might not sell many of.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
If you mean you made them the bar out of the goodness of your heart, they should be cutting you a pretty damn good deal.
:toast:
I have bought 3 different mods from them so I guess buying one online isn't that big of a deal and I made them a testing station (a bar that holds all the tanks with juices in them for taste testing) for their shop. I guess if I do feel super guilty about it I can always make them something else for their shop. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Now I just have to hope they don't see this post because I know they browse this forum :-/

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I understand where you're coming from. The only vapor lounge in town just opened up fairly recently and I really like their juices and the owner is a really nice guy. I have bought like 9 bottles of juice from him (he makes his own and has over 100 flavors) and while I enjoy them it gets expensive paying $1/ml. I also recently purchased an MVP2 from 101vape that would've cost me double if I went through him. I do get replacement heads there now and then even though they're more expensive and I buy some juice from him whenever I have some spare cash. He has a certain juice that I am just in love with and can't get enough of! He's a one man operation and I like to support him when and how I can. It doesn't stop me from buying online too though. I also refer several people to him and tell them to tell him that I sent them. I think he likes that and it makes him feel good.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Ask him for a bulk price break. The juices I buy online run 1.00ml or more depending on sizes up to 30ml. The same juices sell anywhere between .40 and .32 per ml buying the 118 or 120ml sizes. If he doesn't have 4oz bottles tell him you'll provide that.

Last edited:

Dac311

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
They probably have a better mark up on the juice than they do on the mods. Juice is very inexpensive. They might only make $20 selling you a $60 mod, where as they probably make $10 selling you a $15 bottle of juice. He has to respect the fact that people aren't going to spend every ¢ of their vape budget at his shop. I'm fortunate that my local shop doesn't charge too much of a mark up from online prices. I'm more than willing to pay $5 extra for a mod and know I'll have someone back up the sale. Now $20, that's may be a little too steep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bawn

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2011
boynton beach, FL
two local shops to me, and i support 1 sometimes, and the other no shot. i bought my magneto v2 off the one i support, because to be honest he was pretty cheap on it selling for $38. i thought that was a fair price, but on his other stuff hes REALLY high like $65 on a mvp2, which is ridiculous. he knows it too because he has been apart of this community for a long time. but his overhead cant be cheap judging by his location, so i understand where hes coming from, but he wont be getting much of my hard earned cash. he sells certain things on par with online shops, like batteries and such, protank heads etc. but the mods and avps double the price, except for the magneto. he also has high end mechs and gear like the authentic GG line that are selling for $250+. it may be worth the money to some people to spend that much on a battery tube, but not to me. i am pretty simple and happy with a magneto or a nemesis clone.

Last edited:

nemoishouse

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
www.facebook.com
Convenience is only part of what you are paying for. You are also paying for shop overhead, employee salaries, insurance, etc., all of which has to be worked into product in order to try and turn a profit. If a shop doesn't turn a profit, even a little one, then the shop dies.

HTH

It's a tough sell when you know what you can an item for and what they are selling them for. Paying double for something I can get online is just crazy IMO. I understand trying to make a profit and overhead but some(not all) are ridiculous. I'm all about supporting local business but you have to draw the line somewhere. Locally shops are opening left and right so maybe one will come along and have a fair markup.

Vape on!!

jwag1973

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
Saint Louis, MO.
Here in Saint Louis we have a large vaping community, and lots of shops. Although we have a lot of options, most shops are basically the same. Low end equipment, low quality liquid, poor selection and premium prices. It seems a lot of their employee's are poorly educated about the products they sell, and clueless about things they don't. This isn't true of all, but definitely is of the majority. Then the better stores are so opposed to the online vendors, it's almost insulting! For the most part, not willing to even discuss online pricing. I'm a father of three in a single income family! I don't over pay for anything if I can find a cheaper price for the same item. I'm not cheap, and I'm also not foolish enough to give away my hard earned money.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread