Status
Not open for further replies.

RuiG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2019
Portugal
Hello everyone.

How strong you inhale vs Flavour... does it make a difference?

I don't think I saw a thread or anything regarding this specific subject.

There are lots of information about atomizers, airflow, building coils and wick, MTL and DTL but in my opinion this small detail makes a huge difference.

Technically speaking, the amount of air (volume) you inhale can be the same but spreaded over a different period of time. I am a hard inhaler meaning, that when I think about it, I usually tone it down and next inhales are slower, softer and a bit longer.

Speaking from my own experience with the gear I have here is my conclusion.
-Taking a less aggressive draw usually leads to more flavor and a bit less clouds.
-There is also flavor notes that can be different in both situations.

This can also explain a bit why people coming from MTL to DTL sometimes are overwhelmed by the flavour and people doing to opposite get weak flavor results... they are just pulling too hard.

Just changing the way I draw on same atomizer, same build, same liquid, same power, will give massive different results.

vaping is a fine balance on so many little things and in the end, when finally I hit the sweet spot, it's all so satisfying.

Stay safe.

RuiG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2019
Portugal
I'd definitely say that chamber size and airflow have the most impact @RuiG.

But the Ammit 25 is a weird exception, especially with certain flavours such as fruits and mints.

Exactly but on top of that, depending on how strong you inhale/draw on the atomizer you will get different results in flavour.

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Somewhat, also forgot with RTA's the ID of the chimney is another factor as well.

So it's trying to use every physics and engineering trick to prevent the vapour produced from expanding and also to condense it.

Also airflow hitting the underside of a coil really helps with flavour.

From what I've seen and heard about the Atmizoo Creek RDA I'd love to try one, as reduced chamber size and airflow under the coil ticks a lot of boxes.

Unfortunately the price does not. :(

RuiG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2019
Portugal
Somewhat, also forgot with RTA's the ID of the chimney is another factor as well.

So it's trying to use every physics and engineering trick to prevent the vapour produced from expanding and also to condense it.

Also airflow hitting the underside of a coil really helps with flavour.

From what I've seen and heard about the Atmizoo Creek RDA I'd love to try one, as reduced chamber size and airflow under the coil ticks a lot of boxes.

Unfortunately the price does not. :(

I think you got my point.

To make it simple for anyone trying to figure out what on earth am I talking about, make a simple test without changing anything on you setup (works for DL better):
-Draw hard for x seconds
-Draw at half the effort for longer time

Without any doubt, for max flavour, I usually draw to hard.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I think you got my point.

To make it simple for anyone trying to figure out what on earth am I talking about, make a simple test without changing anything on you setup (works for DL better):
-Draw hard for x seconds
-Draw at half the effort for longer time

Without any doubt, for max flavour, I usually draw to hard.

I agree with you, a slower and longer draw is better for flavor. And also TH.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hello everyone.

How strong you inhale vs Flavour... does it make a difference?

I don't think I saw a thread or anything regarding this specific subject.

There are lots of information about atomizers, airflow, building coils and wick, MTL and DTL but in my opinion this small detail makes a huge difference.

Technically speaking, the amount of air (volume) you inhale can be the same but spreaded over a different period of time. I am a hard inhaler meaning, that when I think about it, I usually tone it down and next inhales are slower, softer and a bit longer.

Speaking from my own experience with the gear I have here is my conclusion.
    -Taking a less aggressive draw usually leads to more flavor and a bit less clouds.
    -There is also flavor notes that can be different in both situations.

This can also explain a bit why people coming from MTL to DTL sometimes are overwhelmed by the flavour and people doing to opposite get weak flavor results... they are just pulling too hard.

Just changing the way I draw on same atomizer, same build, same liquid, same power, will give massive different results.

Vaping is a fine balance on so many little things and in the end, when finally I hit the sweet spot, it's all so satisfying.

Stay safe.

Taking a long slow very relaxed inhale is exactly how I vape. I don't consider my inhale to be a hard draw, I just breathe while vaping.

This is why I prefer airy RDL attys, so I can MTL, but have plenty of airflow so I don't need to inhale hard.

And the flavour is amazing :wub:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    I've got my NRG mesh airflow about half open and hit about 1.5 to 2.0 seconds on average. The flavor of the strawberry milk I'm using is spot on. I really never thought too much about it though, I have no problem tasting flavor no matter how I vape. The thick clouds my setup produces gives more flavor than a smaller pod type device at MTL style vaping but that kinda goes without saying. Taste is highly subjective though.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I tend to somewhat agree but in the sense that if I am puffing on my vape like a chicken pecking whatever chicken eat, I am less dreamily considering flavor than if I an gently and slowly sipping at my vape.

I gotta be honest genteel has not always been by thing but sure, there may be SOME truth to it. It's interesting, anyway. :) Thanks for the observation.

Anna

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    In my humble opinion the biggest difference is the shape and diameter of the drip tip. I use flat drip tips with a small bore for my tobacco flavours - this seems to direct the vapour to a particular part of the tongue which picks up on the flavours i like. For fruit flavours i use a round small bore drip tip and that suits me. I may be talking nonsense of course. But i'm not o_O:D:D

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    The fluid dynamics inside an atomizer a both complex and dynamic. Add into that individual preferences and variations in perception and you have an extremely difficult situation to analyse.
    I trust what my tongue tells me and experience guides me the rest of the way when trying to fine tune the vape from a particular atomizer.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Not saying I agree with you (or disagree) but I have a simple theory about your idea. Basically (with the same coil, wick, watts and airflow adjustment) the system is producing a steady amount of vapor so drawing lighter/slower would have more vapor to air ratio (my auto mechanic mind thinking air/fuel ratio) Does that even make sense. It's really not that simple either... possibly drawing harder (with reduced airflow... more restricted) could cause the juice to be drawn into the wick more. I'm really just thinking out loud. Factor in how warm the vape is, size of chamber, diameter and length of chimney, and even the drip tip things get complicated. You did get me thinking though. My personal (but limited) experience is that coil placement in relation to incoming airflow is a big factor. Also, drawing too little air too slow might not cool the coil enough (depending on the build and watts used) I do know that pausing awhile between vapes is good for the coil and lets the wick catch up.
    OK... enough brain strain... gotta go vape!

• Agree
    Reactions: Ryedan

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    Not saying I agree with you (or disagree) but I have a simple theory about your idea. Basically (with the same coil, wick, watts and airflow adjustment) the system is producing a steady amount of vapor so drawing lighter/slower would have more vapor to air ratio (my auto mechanic mind thinking air/fuel ratio) Does that even make sense. It's really not that simple either... possibly drawing harder (with reduced airflow... more restricted) could cause the juice to be drawn into the wick more. I'm really just thinking out loud. Factor in how warm the vape is, size of chamber, diameter and length of chimney, and even the drip tip things get complicated. You did get me thinking though. My personal (but limited) experience is that coil placement in relation to incoming airflow is a big factor. Also, drawing too little air too slow might not cool the coil enough (depending on the build and watts used) I do know that pausing awhile between vapes is good for the coil and lets the wick catch up.
    OK... enough brain strain... gotta go vape!
    My personal first-hand experience with handbuilt complex coil builds in multiple dozens of top flavor RDAs is that the coil placement in relation to incoming airflow is a huge factor. If the distance between the air hole(s)/mound(s) and the coil is too big, then, by the time the jet of incoming air slams into the coil it will have lost too much of its initial air speed due to friction between air molecules causing turbulence and wider dispersion. If you take a small ventilator fan that's running at a constant speed, you can move your hand closer to it to find out that the jet is stronger, more focused at close distance. So a key part of the trick is to get the flow of air to be focused enough at the center of the coil. Whereas, if the distance is too small, air will get pushed out from the limited space as a result from a high pressure zone being created in it, thus redirecting a bigger portion of incoming airflow towards the surrounding areas, away from the coil.

As for the airflow adjustment, the strength of your pull and the amount of restrictiveness need to work in tandem to boost air speed to the desired level. A strong pull creates more air speed, but the vapor gets diluted too much if the volume of air moving in is too big so this is where airflow adjustment to create the right amount of restrictiveness comes into play, it's simply because a lot also depends on the speed of vapor production. Whereas a weak pull causes the juice to get overheated if the cooling effect resulting from incoming slow airflow is too weak to stop the coil temperature from rising further up. Granted, a regulated mod if used in temperature control mode can also prevent this from happening of course. But I don't use temperature control because IME it doesn't vape better, even if it does work. So a lot of additional cost, in cohort wih some additional time and effort, goes into all that, all to give me nothing in return. That's just because I always adjust the strength of my pull in addition to being meticulous about coil placement and airflow adjustment. If something is wrong with either one of these two factors, then the best temperature control in the world still won't be able to fix the problem for me.

Finally, I'll add that I find mech mods lend themselves much better at giving me what's needed for me to adjust my strength of my pulls, accurately, and like second nature. Being a high wattage vaper who pretty much strictly adheres to mechs, I find that flavor performance of rebuildable atomizers is magnified, and differences in flavor performance between different rebuildable atomizers are magnified.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread