How to avoid burning a coil with the Halo Triton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weskeene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Quincy, IL
While cleaning my tank recently, I was inspecting the wicks and noticed a small amount of charring on one of them. I got most of it off, but some remains. The question is: How do I avoid this? It is a matter of taking too long of a drag? Or not waiting long enough between them?

If you've burned up wicks, and found methods to avoid doing so, I'd love advice. Coils aren't expensive, but they're not free, and I'd like to avoid eating through them faster than necessary.

For extra credit, can you tell simply by the taste whether a coil is burned or not?

Wes

BigBen2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
MA, USA
Honestly, I wouldn't bother: it's more likely to affect your vaping experience.

What you should be more concerned about, is good maintenance (IMHO).

Coil cleaning is a bit of a chore, but if you do it right, these coils will last an awfully long time. I rinse mine under running hot water (squeeze the wicks out, at least three times), then soak them in 151 proof PGA for a few minutes, and leave them out to dry ( at least two hours). Then I do a dry burn, to get the gunk buildup off then re-soak in PGA.

The wick that's inside the coil can be replaced, but it's not easy. The best method suggested is to wrap a piece of teflon tape at the end of a new wick (you can buy them by the foot on eBay), and thread it back through the coil (I haven't tried this yet).

Voodoo will gunk up a coil after two or three refills; it's pretty rough. Other flavors can go up to 5 refill, without cleaning. Tribeca leaves some gunk, but it's pretty average (4-5 refills). Southern Classic, surprisingly, also needs cleaning after 4-5 refills. Belgian Cocoa is probably a heavy gunker too (the darker they are, the faster they gunk up, generally). Kringle's Curse is pretty clean, but it's also a very simple flavor.

Bravesfan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2013
Grand Island, NE, USA
Yep, I did the same thing in the first week I had my Triton.

Realized that if I didn't take super long draws that avoids alot of it.

Like nothing more than a 6 second draw.(I count it off in my head.)

Also, cycle thru a few tanks so that you can let those coils cool.

I swear since I have been doing that, my coils last along time.

It just takes a little getting used to.

Cindy

gopher_byrd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2013
Peoples Republic of California
While cleaning my tank recently, I was inspecting the wicks and noticed a small amount of charring on one of them. I got most of it off, but some remains. The question is: How do I avoid this? It is a matter of taking too long of a drag? Or not waiting long enough between them?

If you've burned up wicks, and found methods to avoid doing so, I'd love advice. Coils aren't expensive, but they're not free, and I'd like to avoid eating through them faster than necessary.

For extra credit, can you tell simply by the taste whether a coil is burned or not?

Wes

Pull the wick out a little bit and leave it. It will be asymetrical but what the hey it works and I have not noticed the taste. The coils them selves do short dry burns to get the junk off, it's not the coils that are burnt just junk and maybe the wicks. If the coil is burnt it will probably not work.

weskeene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Quincy, IL
Yep, I did the same thing in the first week I had my Triton.

Realized that if I didn't take super long draws that avoids alot of it.

Like nothing more than a 6 second draw.(I count it off in my head.)

Also, cycle thru a few tanks so that you can let those coils cool.

I swear since I have been doing that, my coils last along time.

It just takes a little getting used to.

Cindy

That's a good idea. I've got an extra tank for "reserves" beyond my now current two. I could alternate between them at refill time. I guess they won't leak, so it's OK to not use them for a while.

Wes

weskeene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Quincy, IL
I bring three tanks to work with different flavors in each. I don't want the dreaded vapors tounge.

:vapor:

I'm just about convinced. When this current tank gets low, I'll alternate to the other one. If nothing else it will level out the life of the tanks. Also, by switching between them regularly, if the coil is getting messed up on one of them, I'll notice it more quickly because I'll have something to compare it to.

Wes

Zombo

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Are you making sure the coil is sufficiently soaked before you hit it? For top coils (like the Triton), the wicking action of the wicks isn't always enough for this task so you should tip it or twirl it right before you hit it. Some people like to hit it with the Triton level or even pointing the bottom end upwards a bit. I don't do that unless the e-liquid is way low (or for a fresh coil, in case it hasn't fully soaked yet). I enjoy the thick, warm vape of the top coils, and if I wanted it to be constantly soaked, I would just have used a bottom coil tank. What works best, for me, is just tipping it once before I hit it.

Edit: You don't necessarily have to tip it before each and every hit...just use some judgement.

Last edited:

weskeene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Quincy, IL
Are you making sure the coil is sufficiently soaked before you hit it? For top coils (like the Triton), the wicking action of the wicks isn't always enough for this task so you should tip it or twirl it right before you hit it. Some people like to hit it with the Triton level or even pointing the bottom end upwards a bit. I don't do that unless the e-liquid is way low (or for a fresh coil, in case it hasn't fully soaked yet). I enjoy the thick, warm vape of the top coils, and if I wanted it to be constantly soaked, I would just have used a bottom coil tank. What works best, for me, is just tipping it once before I hit it.

The answer is that I'm trying to be better about remembering to do that. But I do sometimes forget. Also, I have experimented with tipping the unit up while dragging. Sometimes when liquid is low, as you point out, there is no other choice, but in general, it's level at best. Often it's slightly pointed downward.

I do need to better about remembering to swish and swirl a lot. I guess that will be kind of part of the new routine. Like packing smokes, or ripping off the foil of the pack. :)

Wes

Zombo

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
The answer is that I'm trying to be better about remembering to do that. But I do sometimes forget. Also, I have experimented with tipping the unit up while dragging. Sometimes when liquid is low, as you point out, there is no other choice, but in general, it's level at best. Often it's slightly pointed downward.

I do need to better about remembering to swish and swirl a lot. I guess that will be kind of part of the new routine. Like packing smokes, or ripping off the foil of the pack. :)

Wes

Eventually, it becomes second nature. So much so that I haven't been able to stop twirling this new bottom coil set-up I've been experimenting with lol.

Penguins17

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I was pretty dumb about the in's and out's of my Triton when I first got it... but I did enough research to understand the science behind it, and how it works, so right off the bat I had the twisting, twirling, and tipping right off the bat.

Even with a full tank I feel like it effects the TH, andthe vapor production... The wicks can only do so much, there is a reason Halo says to have it filled above 2.0 At all times. (Recomended)

weskeene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Quincy, IL
The wicks can only do so much, there is a reason Halo says to have it filled above 2.0 At all times. (Recomended)

And see? I didn't know that either! I thought it was my imagination that it tastes better when it's more full. I'll add this to my standard procedure. I tend to fill just about to the bottom of the chrome ring, so about 2.6-ish.

Wes

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
I was pretty dumb about the in's and out's of my Triton when I first got it... but I did enough research to understand the science behind it, and how it works, so right off the bat I had the twisting, twirling, and tipping right off the bat.

Even with a full tank I feel like it effects the TH, andthe vapor production... The wicks can only do so much, there is a reason Halo says to have it filled above 2.0 At all times. (Recomended)

Maybe filled above 0.2, lol

I saw that in the triton manual, but I think that is a typo. There's several vids saying above 0.2, or let's say a quarter tank. It's be silly to have a 2.4 tank that you had to refill at 2.0

Last edited:

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
It just gets difficult for the wicks to get liquid to the coil if it's below 0.2, hence the twirl technique. Don't want to fire the coil dry, you will get a taste you will never forget! Sniff the vapor that comes off a dry burn (when cleaning) and you'll know.

I have vaped a tank almost dry with the tipping/twirling.

But to the topic of the thread, try not to hit it with mega long draws, don't hit it dry, and don't keep vaping a gunked tank, one that the fluid has gotten way darker than the fresh juice going in.

You will sacrifice a few coils in the learning curve. Collateral damage.

Evie Luv

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
When I visited that vape shop they had all their samplers in top coil tanks similar to the Triton tanks. They stored them upside down (on their mouthpiece) instead of the battery end. I asked them why? They said because it helps keep the coils and wicks saturated with juice so you don't burn the coils. He said sometimes when you vape too long or too much the wicks don't draw up the juice fast enough and it helps to keep the wicks saturated.

I was scared of leaking so I have 4 tanks in a little ziploc bag stored on their mouthpieces in the Halo tin so far I haven't had any leaking.

Zombo

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
When I visited that vape shop they had all their samplers in top coil tanks similar to the Triton tanks. They stored them upside down (on their mouthpiece) instead of the battery end. I asked them why? They said because it helps keep the coils and wicks saturated with juice so you don't burn the coils. He said sometimes when you vape too long or too much the wicks don't draw up the juice fast enough and it helps to keep the wicks saturated.

I was scared of leaking so I have 4 tanks in a little ziploc bag stored on their mouthpieces in the Halo tin so far I haven't had any leaking.

Don't fret :)

That rubbery covering over the post is in contact with the tip, giving it a nice seal.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013

I disagree. A Triton wick stays fairly saturated. I have a tank, almost no juice in the bottom, but the wicks remain wet. A quick tumble if it's been untouched, and it should be good to go.

Now what kind of tanks the vape store had with wicks that can't keep up with the triton, I don't know.

Finally, don't be scared of leaking. Ask Diva how she copes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread