How to be a good battery owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Use a good external charger, some can even read health status.

Learn to rewrap batteries, as over time you'll damage wraps and that's not good.

Do your best not to drop them.

My philosophy is to use batteries with a higher CDR (Continuous Discharge Rate) than needed, as it's always better to err on the side of caution and it helps reduce stress on the batteries thus helping to increase their lifespan.

@blackwater, the warning sign with batteries is when they get noticeably hot. When that happens stop immediately and remove batteries.

At worst, a battery should only become slightly warm under hard use.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I keep hearing that it’s really unsafe to discharge batts too much and to charge them for too long. What are the ways I can be safe? How do you know if you’re overcharging or discharging too much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's unsafe if you are discharging your batteries below 3v. And 99% of the regulated mods we use have a cutoff at 3.2v - 3.5v.

Using batteries often, eg rotating a pair for a regulated mod - where one is on the charger and the other in the mod is fine. The only issue with discharging/recharging batteries often, is their longevity. They have a limited number of cycles (discharge/recharge).

If you want to get a longer life from your batteries, purchase a few more sets. That way you can rotate through eg four batteries for one single battery regulated mod. And check what amps your charger is using. Charging batteries below 1A gives them a longer life span. 0.5A is even better.

You can be safer by using a battery that has a CDR capable of handling your wattage in a regulated mod. Find out your battery's true CDR by finding it in Mooch's list here:

18650 Battery Ratings Table | E-Cigarette Forum

20650/20700/21700/26650 Battery Ratings | E-Cigarette Forum

Then use this Battery Amp Draw calculator to find out if you are using the correct battery:
    Battery Amp Draw / Drain Calculator - Vaping Hardware

I also check my battery wraps have no nicks or tears before putting it into my mod.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I keep hearing that it’s really unsafe to discharge batts too much and to charge them for too long. What are the ways I can be safe? How do you know if you’re overcharging or discharging too much?

Over Discharging a Battery isn't so much a User Safety Issue. As it is a Performance/Lifespan issue for the Battery Itself.

But as AngeNZ mentioned, just about Every Regulated Mod has a Low Voltage Cut-Off that will kick in before seriously Degrade your Battery(s) occurs.

And People who use a Mech Mod will most Likely swap to a New Battery Long Before the battery reaches 3.0 or so volts because the Hit they will be getting will become Very Weak.

So Over Discharge Isn't usually a Big Issue.

Over Charging a Battery? That can be a Big Problem. Follow by Smoke and possibly Flames. But Decent Name-Brand Stand-Alone Charges have Over Charging Protection(s). So Unless something has gone Seriously Wrong (which is Very Rare) it isn't something to be overly Worried about.

As long as you Batteries are coming off your Chargers at 4.2 Volts, or slightly less, the Charger is doing what it should.

So for the User, about all one needs to do is make sure that the Battery Voltage isn't drained below 3.2 Volts or so. And they come off the Charger at 4.2 Volts.

That and Buy Batteries form Reputable Sellers. And Don't Exceed the Battery's Constant Discharge Rating (CDR) in the Mod you are using. And make sure you have Verified the a Batteries Stated CDR is something that Jives with Tested CDR from someone like Mooch.

For Better overall Lifespan, I like to Swap Out the Battery in my Regulated Mods when it reaches 3.6 Volts of so. Which for Most of my Mods, is around 1/4 left on the Battery Gauge. But If for some reason I run it Lower, it's not a Big Deal. I just Don't do it All the Time.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

Overdischarge is more of an issue when using a mech mod than when using a regulated mod. However, the likelihood of you continuing to use a mech mod by the time it reaches a dangerous low voltage is slim to none as the vape will be so weak well before that and you won't even want to vape it.

Could a regulated mod malfunction and overdischarge your battery? yes, anything's possible...that's a risk battery users of any kind have to accept.

Overcharging is also not a huge issue, just use a decent charger that has good reviews. They will stop charging at around 4.1-4.2 volts. However it is a good idea to remove the batts from your charger and put them in a protective case after they are finished charging.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I have a trustfire TR 003 4 slot charger. No info just blinking light. Is this sufficient or do I need to go higher end?
    Thanks everyone.

No need for "" high end".
    You can get a reputable brand 4-bay charger for probably the same price as you paid for your TF or less.

18650 Battery Charger - Li-Ion 3.7V Battery Chargers | 18650 Battery Store

But if you want high end...

SkyRC MC3000 Universal Battery Charger & Analyzer - 18650 Battery Store

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    I like the old saying
    ‘ when it comes to batteries, never trust anything with fire in the name ‘
    1wRfqEy.jpg

Reactions: blackwater

blackwater

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    NH
    www.blackwatersound.com
    Trustfire is garbage. No matter which cells you have.

I'd highly recommend this one:

Review of Charger GyrFalcon All-44

Ok. I ordered this and just received and I’m confused AF. I set the charge at 0.5a but in terms of voltage not sure what to set or how to set. I’m charging 1400 batts. Does the charger just know or do I have to set the voltage as well? The Manuel is, it seems to be translated from Chinese or something else.

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
    Feb 1, 2012
    Irwin, Pennsylvania
    I don't know your charger but from what I can see from your post pic. your are OK as set.
    V.V (your voltage to be charge to) is set to charge to 4.2 volts
    C.A as your stated you changed and is set to charge at .5A
    Charger detected Li-ion battery or you set it to such.
    Total change on the battery at the moment the pic. was taken is 3.9 volts with a charge run time of either 8 sec. or 8 min.
    So I think your OK, not knowing your charger.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread