How to build my own coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan diy

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2017
Hi all.
I want to get started on building my own coils for my obs engine.
Im not sure which coils i would like yet but im still trying out prebuilt ones till i decide that.
What i was wondering are what tools exaxtly do i need for doing that (ill watch youtube later on to show mw exactly how)
But i would like to order it all from fastech or ebay and would like to know which tools and what are they called by name exactly.
Would appreciate the help.
Thx

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would get a coilmaster kit, it comes with everything you'd need including an ohm's reader. You don't HAVE to get a kit, but it can sometimes be easier than trying to figure out everything you need yourself, and an ohm's reader is recommended to check your build's resistance. I find it useful also as a stable base for building and do everything on my ohm's reader including test firing it after filling to be sure it won't leak all over my more expensive mods.

The rebuildable atomizer system forum and subforums will also be your friend. Lots of helpful info, friendly folks, who can help get you started. You'll need to familiarize yourself with steam-engine.com which is an online tool to help you figure out the resistance you want to calculate/achieve.

It can be a bit daunting at first, and yes, youtube videos will be helpful. If you are buying supplies, I'd suggest rayon as a wicking material. I prefer it to cotton in every way, including taste, and much more longevity. It's inexpensive, you can often buy online from Amazon, I use (and many people use) Sally's Graham Cellucotton (just make sure you buy the box that is listed at 100% rayon). It's "synthetic" in the sense that it is derived from cotton much like paper is "derived" from wood pulp, but as long as the manufacturing process is clean and good, it's not anything to worry about as far as "vaping a synthetic fiber." Sally's rayon is excellent. If you get a coil master kit it will come with some cotton, so you can compare the wicking material if you wish. Rayon needs to be tight in the coil but thinned out quite a bit in the tails. It shrinks a bit when wet so needs to be wicked snugly..

Best of luck, that's all I've got, but I'm sure others will be along to assist.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I got mine from Amazon. I've been using RTAs for a while now as well. It's a learning curve, but kind of a fun one. I was pretty frustrated at first, as I have a fine motor tremor, so some skills are hard for me, but I'm glad I persevered. I just set up my newest RTA in under 20 minutes, which was something of a record for me. LOL. It does get easier.

I'd also recommend (if you have one) a single coil RTA or RDA to start with, it's so much easier, and there are less variables to worry about. I'd choose something with a decent sized deck, unless you find installing pre-made coils fairly easy since you were using them, in which case it will just be the "addition" of making your own coils.

I also find magnification glasses very helpful and many folks use a "stand" magnifying glass with a light attached, so they can really see what they are doing. Other folks don't need it as much.

But yes, I still vape drop-in coil tanks as well, I like variety.

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi Ethan. Here are some of the Essentials that I use every time I make/mount a Coils.

Atomizer Stand: I like SS because it is Heavy. And it doesn't want to Tip Over as much as say Aluminum. Also, being thread on one side and Thru Hole on the other is Nice.

$5.37 Stainless Steel Stand for 510 Thread Atomizers at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Flush Cut Diagonal Pliers: You are going to need a way to cut the coil wire Very Close to the Atomizer Screws or Posts. So whatever you decide on, make sure they are "Flush Cut". I use these and they work Great.

$5.44 BEST-5 Alloy Steel + PVC Diagonal Side Cutting Pliers at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Coil Jig: Not absolutely necessary, because you can Wrap a Wire around just about anything round. But very handy to have none the less. I use the 2mm Mandrel to adjust the Coil as much as I use the 3mm to Hold or Make a Coil. I also keep Odds n' End under the Coil Jig like Allen Keys or a pair of Nail Tweezers.

$5.57 Universal Tools Wire Coiling Tool w/ Phillips & Slotted & Hex Key Screwdriver Bits - green / 3.5mm + 3.0mm + 2.5mm + 2.0mm winding rods at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Scissors for Cotton: I have Tried a Lot of Scissors for cutting Cotton. And, IMO, these Micro Serrated Surgical Scissors are the Best.

Super Cut Operating Scissors Blunt-Blunt 5.5", Pack of 2, Surgical Instruments | eBay

Ceramic Tweezers: I don't uses these that often. But if you need to Holed/Adjust/Jostle a Hot or Dry Burning coil, they are kinda a must. The bottom Combo Tool is can come in handy to Grip the Atomizer Deck on a Stuck RTA.

Ceramic is Fragile. And the Tips are Easily Broken. So use/store them gently. But what ever you do, Do Not Ever Touch a Coil with Anything Metal while there is Voltage Going thu the Coil.

$4.12 Authentic Youde UD Ceramic + Stainless Steel Tweezers for E-Cigarettes at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$2.61 Ceramic + Plastic Tweezers for E-Cigarettes - straight pointed tip / 41mm long tip at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

These Storage Boxes are Great for keeping Cotton Pads or whatever in. And if you are going to do a FT Order anyway, I'd throw One or Two on the order just for the Heck of it.

$1.86 Plastic Storage Box for Gadgets - white at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

As for Wire and Cotton? That is kinda an Individual Choice. I think Pad Cotton is Easier to start of with. Because it is Easy to Gauge how much cotton you have by the Width of the Strip you cut. That, And I don't think Bulk Cotton or Rayon performs all that much better. Buy Opinions Vary.

Another thing. Not sure how good your Eyes are while doing Close-Up Work? But with mine, these are a Must. As with Anything e-Bay, do some Research on your seller. The Listing below is just for Reference.

Magnifying Glass Lens LED Light Lamp Visor Head Loupe Jeweler Headband Magnifier | eBay

The LED Light really doesn't work all that well. But the Flip Up type of Lens is Very Handy for switching from a Build to looking at a Computer Screen/YouTube Vid. Or for when you get up to get something from another room.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Much love to you too, @Ethan diy . Although, get some other perspectives too, I am FAR from the vast vaping storehouse that comprises ECF.... Really, I'm sure you'll be fine, but do check out the Rebuildable atomizers forum, because I can pretty much guarantee that steam-engine.org is gonna be confusing at first. Have fun, and don't rush yourself But, building is fun (you wouldn't
hear me say that in the early days, it would be more of a string of cuss words coming out of my mouth. LOL. I just really wanted to try temp control, so it was a big motivator for me.

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: Heartsdelight

Ethan diy

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2017
Hi Ethan. Here are some of the Essentials that I use every time I make/mount a Coils.

Atomizer Stand: I like SS because it is Heavy. And it doesn't want to Tip Over as much as say Aluminum. Also, being thread on one side and Thru Hole on the other is Nice.

$5.37 Stainless Steel Stand for 510 Thread Atomizers at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Flush Cut Diagonal Pliers: You are going to need a way to cut the coil wire Very Close to the Atomizer Screws or Posts. So whatever you decide on, make sure they are "Flush Cut". I use these and they work Great.

$5.44 BEST-5 Alloy Steel + PVC Diagonal Side Cutting Pliers at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Coil Jig: Not absolutely necessary, because you can Wrap a Wire around just about anything round. But very handy to have none the less. I use the 2mm Mandrel to adjust the Coil as much as I use the 3mm to Hold or Make a Coil. I also keep Odds n' End under the Coil Jig like Allen Keys or a pair of Nail Tweezers.

$5.57 Universal Tools Wire Coiling Tool w/ Phillips & Slotted & Hex Key Screwdriver Bits - green / 3.5mm + 3.0mm + 2.5mm + 2.0mm winding rods at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Scissors for Cotton: I have Tried a Lot of Scissors for cutting Cotton. And, IMO, these Micro Serrated Surgical Scissors are the Best.

Super Cut Operating Scissors Blunt-Blunt 5.5", Pack of 2, Surgical Instruments | eBay

Ceramic Tweezers: I don't uses these that often. But if you need to Holed/Adjust/Jostle a Hot or Dry Burning coil, they are kinda a must. The bottom Combo Tool is can come in handy to Grip the Atomizer Deck on a Stuck RTA.

Ceramic is Fragile. And the Tips are Easily Broken. So use/store them gently. But what ever you do, Do Not Ever Touch a Coil with Anything Metal while there is Voltage Going thu the Coil.

$4.12 Authentic Youde UD Ceramic + Stainless Steel Tweezers for E-Cigarettes at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$2.61 Ceramic + Plastic Tweezers for E-Cigarettes - straight pointed tip / 41mm long tip at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

These Storage Boxes are Great for keeping Cotton Pads or whatever in. And if you are going to do a FT Order anyway, I'd throw One or Two on the order just for the Heck of it.

$1.86 Plastic Storage Box for Gadgets - white at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

As for Wire and Cotton? That is kinda an Individual Choice. I think Pad Cotton is Easier to start of with. Because it is Easy to Gauge how much cotton you have by the Width of the Strip you cut. That, And I don't think Bulk Cotton or Rayon performs all that much better. Buy Opinions Vary.

Another thing. Not sure how good your Eyes are while doing Close-Up Work? But with mine, these are a Must. As with Anything e-Bay, do some Research on your seller. The Listing below is just for Reference.

Magnifying Glass Lens LED Light Lamp Visor Head Loupe Jeweler Headband Magnifier | eBay

The LED Light really doesn't work all that well. But the Flip Up type of Lens is Very Handy for switching from a Build to looking at a Computer Screen/YouTube Vid. Or for when you get up to get something from another room.
Thanks so much!!! Looks like ill be making an order soon!

Ethan diy

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2017
Much love to you too, @Ethan diy . Although, get some other perspectives too, I am FAR from the vast vaping storehouse that comprises ECF.... Really, I'm sure you'll be fine, but do check out the Rebuildable atomizers forum, because I can pretty much guarantee that steam-engine.org is gonna be confusing at first. Have fun, and don't rush yourself But, building is fun (you wouldn't
hear me say that in the early days, it would be more of a string of cuss words coming out of my mouth. LOL. I just really wanted to try temp control, so it was a big motivator for me.

Best of luck,

Anna
Thx anna.. ill be looking into temp control soon too... allready got the mod.
Thake care;):hubba:

Reactions: Heartsdelight

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks so much!!! Looks like ill be making an order soon!

Hey No problem.

I've been meaning to put together a Coil Building Tools Post with the Stuff a Person needs for awhile. Figured Today was the Day. LOL.

BTW - These Extra Large Pill Organizers are Nice for keeping Different Types of Coils in.

Walgreens 7-Day Ultra Bubble-Lok Pill Organizer Extra Large

I Don't build all that many coils anymore. Use Pre-Coil Coils most of the time. But when I do Build a Coil, I like to build 3 or 4 at a time. Nice to have someplace to put the Extras.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Ethan diy - You may want to rethink ordering from FT now and for the next couple of weeks...unless you don't mind waiting for a minimum of a month to even start thinking about getting it. They begin their shutdown for Chinese New Year tomorrow. ALL operations with them are dead still then until Feb. 22nd. They said to then allow another 2-3 weeks for them to get back to normal.

Also, if you have a Dollar Tree near you, they have plastic pill boxes and other little organizing boxes, in a variety of sizes & shapes. It's hard to beat $1 a piece. They also have a small screwdriver set that might come in handy in a pinch. They're not the best quality, but would do for awhile at least.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I would get a coilmaster kit, it comes with everything you'd need including an ohm's reader. You don't HAVE to get a kit, but it can sometimes be easier than trying to figure out everything you need yourself, and an ohm's reader is recommended to check your build's resistance. I find it useful also as a stable base for building and do everything on my ohm's reader including test firing it after filling to be sure it won't leak all over my more expensive mods.

The rebuildable atomizer system forum and subforums will also be your friend. Lots of helpful info, friendly folks, who can help get you started. You'll need to familiarize yourself with steam-engine.com which is an online tool to help you figure out the resistance you want to calculate/achieve.

It can be a bit daunting at first, and yes, youtube videos will be helpful. If you are buying supplies, I'd suggest rayon as a wicking material. I prefer it to cotton in every way, including taste, and much more longevity. It's inexpensive, you can often buy online from Amazon, I use (and many people use) Sally's Graham Cellucotton (just make sure you buy the box that is listed at 100% rayon). It's "synthetic" in the sense that it is derived from cotton much like paper is "derived" from wood pulp, but as long as the manufacturing process is clean and good, it's not anything to worry about as far as "vaping a synthetic fiber." Sally's rayon is excellent. If you get a coil master kit it will come with some cotton, so you can compare the wicking material if you wish. Rayon needs to be tight in the coil but thinned out quite a bit in the tails. It shrinks a bit when wet so needs to be wicked snugly..

Best of luck, that's all I've got, but I'm sure others will be along to assist.

Anna
Couldn’t have advised better than Anna, great advise Anna! If you’re interested in Rayon there’s a huge thread here
Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have a Coil Master kit and have used it many times. These days I use the coil tool below. It's quick and easy and once the coil is wound and spaced and the leads are trimmed it's a handle to install the coil on the deck. Just leave enough wire length to wrap around the screws.

https://www.amazon.com/TOBECO-DIY-C...F8&qid=1525266325&sr=8-7&keywords=coil+winder

41yvnittoZL.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread