The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How to choose the right box? (for a Dead Drop, Dual 0.25Ohm Coils)

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by HaHaVape, Jan 30, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. HaHaVape

HaHaVape Full Member

Jan 24, 2019
  2. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Well that RDA apparently comes with a squonk pin, so you may want to consider a squonk mod. It’s DL so a two battery or more mod is probably preferred. There are several good two battery squonk devices around, both regulated and unregulated.

If you’re not interested in squonking though I see nothing wrong with the mod you got.

Myself I like replay so my knowledge extends only to DNA squonk mods. For that (which you may or may not want) there is one mod available, and one in the pipe. None are under a hundred dollars though. The one available now is the VTX200 squonk. It’s basically a better cheaper version of the boxer. There’s also the lostvape drone 250c, but that’s been “about to be released” for several months now. The drone is probably a superior device for similar money, but only if it actually starts to exist.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Punk In Drublic

Punk In Drublic Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    All variable wattage devices function in the same way, although some have additional features. They will output a prescribed wattage based on what the user selects. You adjust the output (wattage) based on what your preferences are.

Given your choice of RDA I would follow @bombastinator recommendation of looking for a dual cell device. The majority of dual 18650 devices operate between 5 watts and max at 150 to 220 watts depending on design. So you have a wide variety of wattage settings to match your preference. There is nothing that states a specific RDA will work better on one mod over another for the same given wattage.

The Vaporesso Luxe has received very positive feedback and Vaporesso has a reputation of making quality devices. This would be an excellent pairing for your Drop Dead RDA

I will note that the Demon Killer coils you have selected are of high mass. This means more power will be needed to reach a desired temperature and will be that much more difficult for the coil to heat up and cool down. These maybe sufficient for a single coil RDA but personally I would not use them in a dual coil setup. If you are dead set at shopping on Varpol, the Demon Killer Flame coil and or the Rofvape Hive might be a better choice.

Demon Killer Flame Coil Pre-made Heating Wire - 6pcs/pack

Rofvape Hive Wire Prebuilt Coils 0.5ohm - 10pcs/pack

4. HaHaVape

HaHaVape Full Member

Jan 24, 2019
  5. Punk In Drublic

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Few reviewers have noted the magnets for the battery doors falling out with the Vmate. Not sure if Voopoo has addressed this or not. Something to consider. Personally I would choose the Luxe

TC is short for Temperature Control. In order for TC to work, the coil must contain either Stainless Steel, Nickel or Titanium. How TC works is when a coil heats up, its resistance rises by a given amount. With a imputed value based on the metal used in the wire, the mod is able to make calculations and predict the temperature of coil and in doing so it will attempt at keeping the coil at the temperature you selected. Many opt not to use Temperature Control because they feel it is too complicated.

Cloud production is about vaporizing the most amount of juice in the shortest amount of time and getting that vapor into our lungs efficiently. We can accomplish this with increased power and increased air flow of the atomizer. However with increasing power we also increase the likely hood of burning the wick. Trust me, you do not want this!! Along with heating up the atomizer to the point where it is too hot to use. So a happy medium must be found. It becomes more difficult to achieve that happy medium with a coil that has a large mass for it takes longer to heat up and cool down. Little more complex than this but that is the short and simple explanation.

If looking to achieve the most amount of clouds efficiently I would look at the Wotofo Profile Mesh RDA. The large surface area of the mesh maximizes vapor production. And given the mesh is extremely low in mass in comparison to a coil, it is more efficient – ie: heats up and cools down quicker. It's operating range is lower, 40 to 70ish watts but this could play toward extended battery life.

The challenge with mesh is that it is less forgiving than a regular coil. It is critical that your cotton (wick) is tightly pressed against the mesh surface otherwise you create a hot spot which leads to a dry burn. The Profile mitigates this with a pressure plate under the wick that is constantly pushes against the cotton. Each RDA comes with their own learning curve but the Profile is not difficult to build on. However it does require much more cotton than a typical coil. The bonus to this is the cotton lasts much, much longer providing you do not burn it. The mesh strips for the Profile RDA are inexpensive and should have the same life span as a typical coil. You can purchase cotton strips made specifically for the Profile that removes all guess work out of wicking. But even if you use typical cotton like Cotton Bacon, you will quickly learn how much cotton is needed in order to mitigate dry burns.

Just to note, mesh tends to consume more juice but if your objective is cloud production, it may even burn less than a typical dual coil running at 100+ watts (I am guessing!)

The Profile RDA can be used with any mod that allows a power setting of between 40 watts and up.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Some people love TC some don’t. The only way I could make it work well was to use replay. That mostly just means I suck at figuring out TC profiles though and had to go with the more idiot proof version. TC has some advantage. Wicks last longer, vaping is extremely consistent, and theoretically fewer volatiles are emitted by the coil because it never heats up enough to produce them. It is generally more of a pain though. Also it can only use some types of wire, and a lot of coils simply aren’t made with them. My mention of replay and dna mods was mostly a way of explaining my limitations on the subject of squonkers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. QcVaper

QcVaper Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2017
    Canada/Quebec
    Been using the profile for a couple weeks, the wotofo mesh i use at 40 watts and strangely i don't seem to consume much more juice than my drop solo, it does have more flavor imo but denser clouds which is to be expected from a mesh.

Nb: imho tc is overrated, you won't get a better experience from it and it's not necessary at all for clouds and/or flavor production (although I've heard some flavors come out more on a precise temp, though no idea about the truth in this).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Punk In Drublic

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Given its much larger surface area and instant ramp up time, technically mesh should vaporize more juice for a same duration of pull than a typical coil. However, one may vape less with mesh because they are consuming that much more vapor per hit. Any difference in my juice consumption with a typical coil is subjectively minimal and TBH, not that big of a deal for me. You wanna have fun driving that hyper car, you’re gonna have pay for that gas!

I’ve considered objectively measuring the difference in consumption but never got around to it.

I’ve tried TC with SS mesh on the Profile – it’s can be finicky. Found it works better in Replay. But I prefer the Kanthal strips in good ol’ wattage mode over the SS mesh that I own.

I am also of belief that certain flavours are more profound with certain temperatures – our challenge is trying to figure what works best with what…..assuming we are willing to take on that challenge.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.