How To Clean an Atty

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I didn't even know this sub forum was here until Randall told me about it in an e-mail. How did I miss it?

My question is - what have you folks come up with for cleaning your atties? My atties work fine, but have developed a funky taste. I blew them out and soaked them in Everclear overnight - which you'd think would clean anything - but they still taste bad. Kind of an old burnt, coffe pot cooked dry or fish jerky taste.

I have heard about coke, denture cleaner, boiling, baking soda, etc. What works for you and how did you do it?

Thanks,
~A

Overlord

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Stony Plain, AB
I've tried coke, crest pro mouthwash, vodka and plain water.

Coke: Made atty WAY worse in terms of draw and vapor production but others seem to have luck
CPMW: Couldn't get the mint taste out of atty afterwards
Vodka: really cleaned out the inside of atty including wick but was short term. Seemed to get worse faster than before
Water: did jack squat. Atty had a mineral taste afterwards that didn't go away.

I personally just blow out the atty and let it sit cart side down for about 10 min. After that, drip 2 drops of new liquid and vape away.

I don't do any maintenance now other than letting them drain and blowing them out if the draw gets stiff due to recently flooding the atty.

redeye

Dec 11, 2009
Ohio
I'm still a relative noob to vaping with only a month under my belt, but I have methods that work for me.

I primarily use two atties throughout the week and I vape pretty heavy. On these two atties I only use Randall's MyBoro Liberty liquid cut with a little glycerin. This is my daily vape. I have another atty that I use for experimenting with new liquids and I rinse and dry it between each new liquid.

I have been able to get through each week using, at most, 2 atties. Some weeks I have used the same one all week. At the end of the week, I rinse them under hot tap water getting the water as hot as I can stand it. I will blow them out once or twice and rinse them again. Then I blow them out, let them sit for 12 hours or so and they're as good as new.

On two occasions I have used the Crest Pro blue mouthwash that a member named sattec has detailed in an extensive thread here. I got the atty nice and warm by puffing on the battery end a couple of times them I soak it in the mouthwash using the "shaking ice in a drink method" for 12-15 minutes. I then rinse them with hot water and let them soak in water for a few hours. I rinse with hot water again, blow them out and let them dry for 12 hours or so. I had to do this twice. One time I did this to get the burnt taste out of an atty and the other was to get the 555 taste (which I hated) out of an atty. Both times it worked great. I had no burnt, 555 or moutwash taste at all and they both worked like new. Sattec has done a lot of research on this and claims that this will bring nearly any atty back from the dead. I can't say that, but it did work both times I tried it.

For the record, I use a 510 and I use the blue foam plug for filler. As I said I vape pretty heavy and with these methods I have been pretty maintenance free so far.

Good luck.

Sir_Lawrence

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2009
Maryland
vapormoon.com
I bought myself a little jewelery ultrasonic cleaner. I fill it with a mixture of half white vinegar and half distilled water. The vinegar does a great job in getting all the "gunk" out of the atty and the vinegar and distilled water leave no mineral deposits. Just re-prime your atty with whatever juice you use and start vaping!

redeye

Dec 11, 2009
Ohio
I bought myself a little jewelery ultrasonic cleaner. I fill it with a mixture of half white vinegar and half distilled water. The vinegar does a great job in getting all the "gunk" out of the atty and the vinegar and distilled water leave no mineral deposits. Just re-prime your atty with whatever juice you use and start vaping!

Ya know, I never thought about that, but it should work great. That's what my mom always used to clean her coffee pot, white vinegar. I use baking soda on mine and I've read where others here have had good luck with that also.

nycityjeff

Moved On
Sep 22, 2009
New York City
I've tried coke, crest pro mouthwash, vodka and plain water.

Coke: Made atty WAY worse in terms of draw and vapor production but others seem to have luck
CPMW: Couldn't get the mint taste out of atty afterwards
Vodka: really cleaned out the inside of atty including wick but was short term. Seemed to get worse faster than before
Water: did jack squat. Atty had a mineral taste afterwards that didn't go away.

I personally just blow out the atty and let it sit cart side down for about 10 min. After that, drip 2 drops of new liquid and vape away.

I don't do any maintenance now other than letting them drain and blowing them out if the draw gets stiff due to recently flooding the atty.

I agree completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread