How to clean up residual adhesive after removing a wrap......

Status
Not open for further replies.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I just picked a pink V2.5 Provari for my wife. It had some kind of wrap on it that I carefully pulled off. Now I'm faced with removing the residual adhesive. I tried 91% isopropyl but it seemed to push the adhesive around without removing it. When the alcohol evaporated, I still had a very sticky device.
Can I use acetone without damaging the finish? I do not know anything about the finish other than it looks nice. I started to use acetone but thought it best to get an answer before proceeding. Last thing I need is to trash this beautiful device and then my wife and I would be sobbing over the damaged finish. Just not a "pretty" thought.
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before and I want to attest to the fact that I did search to no avail. Maybe I didn't use the proper terms. Anyhow, I hope someone can tell me if I can safely use acetone and if not, what can I use.
Thanks very much.......

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
If this is a new protective wrap, email Provape and give feedback on your difficulty. Help the next guy..........

I don't have the vaguest clue about the wrap. The fella I got it from had someone put it on for him so he isn't going to be any help either. Sorry I can't be of any help with that.
My main concern is not doing harm to the finish. I had no problems getting the wrap off and now want to finish the job getting rid of the areas of stickiness.
I can report that the WD40 worked like a champ..... took the adhesive off nicely. Then followed up with Windex which did clean up the WD40 and also left a cleaner scent. Used a microfiber cloth as suggested with both fluids.
Thanks for the help..... I really do appreciate it.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I have a product called goo gone and use it to take off the sticky labels to reuse fluid bottles. It might help.
I would use it on the outside of my Provari only being very careful to use it.

I wondered about using the goo gone but knowing all the stuff it removed I was worried it might be too strong. I sure wouldn't let it near the circuit board -- I'm afraid it would melt it...lol.
Thanks for the tip......

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Goo gone is a great product. Will not damage the button or screen. A little goes a long way.
Or use iso alcohol but be careful you don't scratch the window. Use a smooth cloth to wipe it down
Ken
Something else good to know about the goo gone -- amazing the button and screen are impervious to itn.... it just confirms again that the Provari's are built like tanks!
Thanks Ken......

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I realise you solved the problem with WD 40. I was going to suggest white spirit and a q tip. Don't think it would have caused any damage to the finish. Can use white spirit to remove anything oil based such as a magic marker for example. Does stink though and the smell sticks around for hours.

Thanks for another solvent idea. I'm keeping track of all these tips for use down the road. You never know when you might need a little help so to speak.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... Can I use acetone without damaging the finish? ...

I would be Very Cautious about using Acetone on Anything.

The Upside is Acetone is a great Solvent. And it will Dissolve many things.

The Downside is Acetone is a great Solvent. And it will Dissolve many things.

I have seen many Plastics turn to Mush when Acetone is applied to them. Like Plastic Seals or Spacers. And it can Glaze Many Clear Plastics Acrylics.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I would be Very Cautious about using Acetone on Anything.
The Upside is Acetone is a great Solvent. And it will Dissolve many things.
The Downside is Acetone is a great Solvent. And it will Dissolve many things.
I have seen many Plastics turn to Mush when Acetone is applied to them. Like Plastic Seals or Spacers. And it can Glaze Many Clear Plastics Acrylics.

Thanks very much..... I've used acetone for all sorts of cleaning chores, but I just couldn't bring myself to use it on the Provari until I inquired about it. Now, I'm glad I did. I'm betting the WD40 is less "toxic" so to speak in terms of damaging the finish and it got the job done. No need for overkill.....

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks very much..... I've used acetone for all sorts of cleaning chores, but I just couldn't bring myself to use it on the Provari until I inquired about it. Now, I'm glad I did. I'm betting the WD40 is less "toxic" so to speak in terms of damaging the finish and it got the job done. No need for overkill.....

Acetone does have some Great Uses. But I would Never reach for it to Remove Glues from anything that had Plastic / Acrylic parts on it.

Better to Spend a little More Time, and a Bunch of Paper Towels, using something a Little Rubbing Alcohol or Oil than to have a Plastic Part Dissolve or get "Frosted". Or to have the Paint Come Off or Glaze.

BTW - Wear Gloves when you use Acetones. All the ____tones permeate skin Very Well. And enter the Bloodstream Very Rapidly.

That is one of the Reasons that something like MEK is Very Dangerous to use.

Last edited:

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Acetone does have some Great Uses. But I would Never reach for it to Remove Glues from anything that had Plastic / Acrylic parts on it.
Better to Spend a little More Time, and a Bunch of Paper Towels, using something a Little Rubbing Alcohol or Oil than to have a Plastic Part Dissolve or get "Frosted". Or to have the Paint Come Off or Glaze.
BTW - Wear Gloves when you use Acetones. All the ____tones permeate skin Very Well. And enter the Bloodstream Very Rapidly.
That is one of the Reasons that something like MEK is Very Dangerous to use.
MEK is the one I steer clear of.... that's a nasty "tone"...... I'm sort of surprised it's still sold.
Very good advice about taking a little more time and using more paper towels to get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread