HOW TO: DC Jack as 901 Fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
As promised, here is a pictorial How To for using a size M or size N (for our purpose, they are equal) DC power jack as a 901 fitting for battery mods.

I got my parts at Radio Shack - part number 274-1583. I have read around the forum that Maplin's has them in the UK.

Here is a pic of the part before I did anything.
attachment.php

The prong at the top of the photo is going to be the positive (+) contact - red wire goes here.

I used pliers to bend the unnecessary prongs back and forth until they broke off. Here is the after pic.

attachment.php

I removed the nut and lockwasher as this space is where I make my negative connection.

Next, I solder on my two wires. The red, or positive (+) is pretty straightforward - just connect red wire to the only remaining solder prong.
Here is a pic of that connection.
attachment.php

For the black, negative (-) connection, I thread my wire through a small gap in the aluminum outer shell, then solder it to the bottom of the threaded portion. Here are a few pics of this to try and make it more clear.
attachment.php

attachment.php

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
Only permitted 5 pics to a post, so a second post is necessary.

Here is a pic of the DC Jack attached to a 901 atomizer.

attachment.php

Here is link to the thread where I would prefer all discussion to go.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...on-901-fitting-avoid-battery-destruction.html

Please do not post discussion in this thread. I am hoping to keep it easily accessible to those who are just seeing this a year or two from now.

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
Nice Nico ,
I did Mine Slightly differently .
As the jack has 3 prongs , I kept 2 of them .

1 prong goes to the centre pole , which we need , the other two are a broken circuit to the thread , now we only need one connection to the thread so I soldered a little solder bridge from the ' coller' of the jack to the sprung contact , this made continuity to one of the prongs. I Just broke of the redundant one and was left with 2.

12c62902.jpg

64e2fee2.jpg

ApO.

BTW : The ones that Maplins stock have a shorter centre pole which may not make contact with the centre contact on the atomizer. It looks alot shorter than the Radio-shack ones that i have used. the maplins one i have here does not make contact as the centre pole is to short. The only way around that is to trim the thread down a little.

Last edited:

patgwashere

Apr 2, 2009
Hi Nicowolf
Thanks for all your informative postings.
I have made a couple of pen style box mods for myself.
I have been using radio shack Item: 2740252
Description: Panel-Mount Jack for my atomizer connection. The threads are perfect but it is a pain to use. I have to grind it down to just the bolt to make it work.
Do you know of a better part for pen styles?

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
Ok, here is a link to pics. Red is positive (+) and black is negative (-) - most people have been taught this little color code, so I stick with it. I was going to completely redo the pics, but apparently I have reached my limit of attachments on ECF and deleting attachments is what seems to have caused this problem in the first place. So, I uploaded them to photobucket.

Pictures by NicoWolf - Photobucket

I hope this works, let me know if it doesn't.

walterdsouzajr

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Nice Nico ,
I did Mine Slightly differently .
As the jack has 3 prongs , I kept 2 of them .

1 prong goes to the centre pole , which we need , the other two are a broken circuit to the thread , now we only need one connection to the thread so I soldered a little solder bridge from the ' coller' of the jack to the sprung contact , this made continuity to one of the prongs. I Just broke of the redundant one and was left with 2.

12c62902.jpg

64e2fee2.jpg

ApO.

BTW : The ones that Maplins stock have a shorter centre pole which may not make contact with the centre contact on the atomizer. It looks alot shorter than the Radio-shack ones that i have used. the maplins one i have here does not make contact as the centre pole is to short. The only way around that is to trim the thread down a little.

please explain this. what does this mean? what is continuity. why is there nothing (wire/solder) around the threads. up to you.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
please explain this. what does this mean? what is continuity. why is there nothing (wire/solder) around the threads. up to you.

Continuity means that electric can get from one end to the other - there isn't anything stopping it.

Apostle wired his differently. He made the solder bridge that he showed in his pics. That bridge makes it so that one of the other prongs (one of the ones that I broke off) will work as his negative connection. It is the prong directly across from that tab where he made the solder bridge.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Here is a more detailed (and perhaps clearer) diagram of the jack and the connections used by both Apostle51 and myself. If I were to do it again, I would probably use Apo's method.

DCJackDiagramed.jpg

(Please pay no attention to my typo. It is a lock washer, not a lock nut.:oops:)

Nicowolf--what a great diagram and good instructions--very well done and we appreciate your efforts----Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread