How to fix a pushed down Center Post - 510 post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nascar_Perry

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hello to all,

First off, if this is in the wrong forum, please move it to the correct one, and if this trick has been posted before, I apologize ahead of time and give credit.

As a lot of you all know, from time to time, your PV wears out to the point where the center post is now pushed all the way down, squishing or destroying the little washer, to where it is causing your PV to either read no attomizer is found, or other times, attomizer short (even though the attomizer may not be the cause)

I have an MVP that has seen some serious use over the past year and a half and recently noticed that the post had essentially destroyed my washer to the point only 3 types of tanks would work on it unless I played with the post.

I sat down and decided to tinker with it to try and fix it and discovered a solution:

[1] Carefully pull your center post up till it comes out, make sure to be very careful you don't disconnect the attached wire. Pull the post till it stops, or in my MVP's case, it just goes above the rim of the 510 connector

[2] Remove what's left of the washer that is now pretty much gone

[3] The fun part :) I took an old aspire BDC from my nautilus, took the bottom pin out, and removed the white washer the pin pushes into, that separates the positive and negative of your coil.

[4] Cut the excess bottom of the washer off so you are left with a flat washer. (the only part you would see if it was still on the nautilus)

[5] Work the washer onto the center post of your MVP. I used my finger and a small pin. A small flat head screw driver or safety pin will also work. You essentially want to slowly work the washer around the top of the center post until it sort of sinks itself down under the center post's lip and is now on the post's neck right under the lip.

[6] carefully work your center post back into place and firmly, but gently press down.

* The first few tanks may be a little tough or snug to thread on, but with a little time, that new washer will settle in and your post will be back at it's normal position. I'm using two old vivi nova tanks that my MVP has not seen in 4 months lol.

** May not work with all PVs, this will depend on what kind of washer they originally used, and if the original washer has a neck like the eVic does. I am going to try this trick on a friends eVic that has the same problem and let you all know if it works. Fir the eVic I would suggest leaving the excess rubber I would have cut off for the MVP.

Hope this helps any of you with top post problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heavyrocker

JayWer

Dec 28, 2014
Leakage was a classic struggle mostly revolving around the BVC's but I stopped using those and I just want to make sure I have a fail safe in the event I do get a bunk tank. I was under the impression that the o ring was more like the nippled type insulators on the pin of an atomizer. I had an NJoy battery way back that had a insulator rather than just a small rubber o ring under the pin but I tried insulators like the one on a BVC and the pin wouldn't go back in. Its more of a tight spot than thought so I trimmed it as explained in this post for now till I try out on of those #60's.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Just an advisory that this is only necessary in extreme cases when there is reason to believe the original center post insulator or o-ring has been damaged or destroyed. This is somewhat the "extreme fix" and if you don't know the PV you are working on you can pull the lead to the center post right off, leaving either a device that cannot be disassembled for repair and requires soldering to fix.

Simple cases where the center post has been pushed in too far and the insulator is still in place only require pulling the center post up slightly, grabbing it with some good slant tweezers and moving it up only the slightest amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread