How to fix a REO? constant misfires....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybercop

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2010
New York
I have owned a REO grand since it first came out, it was my favorite go to mod every day. About 6 months after I bought it, the mechanical switch began to fail. Constantly misfired until one day it simply did not work. Tried taking it apart, cleaned it, put some noalox on it--a little TLC all around. Nothing...
Bought a mini to replace it and forgot all about the grand--was happy to have my beloved REO to vape on without any problems. Just last week, the mini began to fail on me. Same problem, the switch simply doesn't work. Now I have two very expensive paperweights.
Anyone ever have any luck fixing one of these things? Does the switch need to be replaced after a while? Any help is greatly appreciated--I miss my REO!!

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
The other thing that you might want to check out is the battry charger. Since this has happened on two Reos its very strange and rare to happen on one, much less two. Perhaps your charger is doing strange things to your batteries, first to your 18650s then to your 14500s. Do you have a multimeter to check things out in that department. It is possible that your charger is killing your batteries and the symptoms are showing by not firing.

cybercop

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2010
New York
Sorry to be persistent. Are they IMRs?

where in NY are you?

The 14500 are not high drain batteries, but the 18650 are. I don't have a multimeter to see if there's a problem with the 14500--but i can use my Provari with the 18650. The Provari works just fine with the batteries, but they will not fire in the Grand...

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
The 14500 are not high drain batteries, but the 18650 are. I don't have a multimeter to see if there's a problem with the 14500--but i can use my Provari with the 18650. The Provari works just fine with the batteries, but they will not fire in the Grand...

Have to taken a little sandpaper to the spring on bottom to take any oxidation away and to the switch spring? This may be your problem... Lightly sand the top of the spring and also the firing pin end.

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Well I dont profess to be an expert but here's some thoughts anyway. The Mini should definitely use high drain 14500 if you are using LR attys or cartos. The batterys life will be shortened because of the stress put on them. So perhaps this is the case.

The Provari being power regulated might, and I stress might, make up for the deficiency of the battery by using its power regulation. I'm out on a limb here. IF possible and convenient I would try some other batteries or as others have suggested a trip to the Reo Hospital Emergency Room may be in order.

I'm in Albany NY so if you are fairly close by I could meet with you and try some other batteries.

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
Have to taken a little sandpaper to the spring on bottom to take any oxidation away and to the switch spring? This may be your problem... Lightly sand the top of the spring and also the firing pin end.

If you keep the firing pin clean with a little alcohol or even hot water bath and some noalox on it there is no need to sand it. If your sending to rob it may be a good idea to send your battery's that are misfiring and a carto or atty sample of what you are using too. But yes as ltrainer said it sounds more like a battery/charger issue

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Thanks doots---haven't tried that yet. Will give it a shot and see if it helps.
Please let us know. Sounds like your 18650 is fine.. Yes also check the small screw holding in the spring.. Your reo should work.
Do try the sand paper or emery file. Like the ones wives use to file their nails.. I find sandpaper a little easier to work with and do a better job..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread