Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
So I've been looking into DIY a little bit, it never really interested me before, but after so many fail liquids, I figure, what have I got to lose except more money? I'm looking at the stickies here and whatnot, but I feel a little overwhelmed. I'm looking at the Wizard Labs site and am kinda getting a good idea of what I need, but would it be easier to just get a DIY kit or just get individual stuff from Wizard Labs? And do I really need a lot of extra equipment? Or maybe I can get a DIY kit that includes all the equipment and get liquids separately? Thanks, any input would be helpful.

jdenson

Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
yosemite ky
i ordered a kit myself just cause i could get everything i needed. some have said that the kits are not good value tho. im sure some of the vets here will chime in and give you better info. i would however recomend getting a bottle of vg and a bottle of pg in zero nic along with whatever nic% you get. thx to shilo i now know that all 3 are needed to reach certain pg and vg% and target nic levels.:D

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
You can get a kit if you want to but most just put together their own indivdualized kit. ecigexpress and vaping zone are also companies to look at for flavorings and nic solution. Many of us buy our flavorings in multiple places and source our nic from whatever ends up being our favorite.
What you basically need to know besides the safety basics is what mg you want to vape, what pg/vg ratio you prefer and what are some flavorings that are most likely to appeal to you. :)

Magikhat

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
www.flavorplace.com
I ordered PG, VG, Nicotine and Flavoring from Wizardlabs.
They do an excellent job. The flavoring from Wizardlabs IMO is not great.

I ordered some of the DIY Super Concentrated Flavors at Vaping Zone and they are pretty much newbie proof.
All you do is add 12-20 Flavoring Drops to 10ML and you have a good flavor. Start at 12 drops and go up from there if you need stronger flavor. Use the ejuice me up calculator (just google search it) it is a free program and it will tell you exactly what % you need.

stashbldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
Florida
I ordered PG, VG, Nicotine and Flavoring from Wizardlabs.
They do an excellent job. The flavoring from Wizardlabs IMO is not great.

I ordered some of the DIY Super Concentrated Flavors at Vaping Zone and they are pretty much newbie proof.
All you do is add 12-20 Flavoring Drops to 10ML and you have a good flavor. Start at 12 drops and go up from there if you need stronger flavor. Use the ejuice me up calculator (just google search it) it is a free program and it will tell you exactly what % you need.

I agree with this advice, in fact it is the same advice I give to all newbies .. the Super Concentrated flavorings at VapingZone are the easiest way to start out. I have made the Super Concentrated Honey Flue Cured as the first juice for a brand new vaper to try, they always love it and it not only starts them on the road to using the ecig but they can then make it themselves. You only need to use 2.5%-3% of the Honey Flue Cured flavoring and it comes out great everytime. They have several other types of flavorings, just be sure to buy from the list that says "super concentrated".

To make your juice all you need is PG, VG, nicotine, flavoring and syringes. Some people use rubber gloves, I don't (I dont use the 100mg strength of nic). Some people use special beakers, I just use a glass measuring cup and I measure everything using syringes. I use 5 different sizes of syringes: 1ml, 3ml, 5ml, 10ml and 20mg syringes). When I first started DIY over 1 year ago that was all the supplies I used and it is all I still use today. I make lots of juice every week because I make it and ship it to several of my friends who work on cruise ships.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
My minimal requirements:

nic
VG
PG
flavors
e-Juice Me Up calculator
20ml syringe
5ml syringe
1ml syringe
30ml bottles
5ml bottles (for test samples)
120ml bottle (for bulk base)
100ml graduated glass cylinder (for bulk base mixing)

Of course I have more DIY equipment
doh.gif
, but the list is what I actually use 98% of the time.

I mix 100ml of base (nic/PG/VG) and put that into a 120ml bottle that has a flip-top cap. I use 5ml bottles for test samples. Most of my mixes are 30ml, sometimes 60ml. Note that I do not use needles, pipettes or funnels; no need fer 'em.

Ya don't have to spend a fortune buying kits that have items ya probably won't use.

Good luck!

cedric212

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I like to keep things simple:

nic/VG/PG/flavor from WL
For large volume transfer (PG/VG/nic) I use a glass turkey baster: Amazon.com: Norpro Glass Baster: Kitchen & Dining
2*30ml cobalt glass bottle with dropper for nic (1 in use and another in fridge on standby)
Enough 60ml amber glass bottle w/ polycone for long term nic storage
2*50ml LDPE dropper bottle for VG and PG for mixing (the rest is stored in original container placed in fridge)
3*30ml LDPE dropper bottle for menthol, EM, and Capella's cool mint (main component for my daily DIY vape)
10ml graduated cylinder for bulk mixing (also calculate #drop per ml)

If you're like me who save the bottles and containers from eliquid purchases then you should have plenty of 8ml or 30ml bottles laying around. I use the 8ml dropper bottles for flavorings and the 30ml glass dropper bottles for bulk mixes, the 10ml glass vials that WL use for flavoring is convenient if you're mixing small batches or to take a few of your mixes on the go.

Last edited:

Moonstruck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2009
Colorado
As a noob myself (just started DIY a week ago), I understand it can be a little overwhelming. I wanted to try it on a small scale to make sure I liked doing DIY. So I started with 60ml of nic juice (36mg 70/30 VG/PG), 60ml PG, 4 flavors & 1 sweetener, 2 3ml syringes, 1 10ml syringe & I already had some 1ml syringes & bottles at home. I did not order VG since I'm not that picky about the ratio. But I will be adding that to my next order. A few days after my 1st order, I ordered 30 more flavors.

I admit that I did order a couple pipettes with my 1st order, but those quickly went into the trash. Get syringes and save your sanity.

So I agree with everyone else here. Your basic 1st order should include nic solution, PG, VG, flavorings, syringes, & bottles if you need them. As far as the flavorings go, there are lots of choices out there. So far I'm happy with the TFA flavors from WL, and they're cheap at $1.49 for 8 ml. But I vape mostly fruits/sweets. I made the double RY4 yesterday, and I like it. But if you vape mostly tobacco flavors, you might consider the other sources mentioned in this thread.

Here's to your success!

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Ok, well for my initial setup, I think I only want to mix small batches. Like 5-6ml bottles or whatever.. until I find something I really really like (which I haven't yet from buying premade juices) or until I get the hang of things so I don't waste too much. I don't tend to like or want big batches of anything. I normally vape around 12mg, so if I get like 36mg nicotine, I can just dilute it with more PG and VG? I usually like a 50/50 mix and tend to prefer the bakery, creamy, sweet type flavors, and the occasional fruit and menthol/mint. I'd rather order from fewer vendors so if one place has everything, I'd rather save myself the trouble and confusion.. for now. I do like my juices on the stronger side flavor wise (my tastebuds are shot!!) so a nice concentrated flavor is ideal.

Last edited:

Mdemon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
Trinidad
Hi Kyi. If you want a one stop shop try Ecigexpress or One Stop DIY Shop
Good prices too.

Start with some PG, VG, Nic Base, Flavorings, 1ml/5ml/10ml syringes (makes measuring SO much easier) and Bottles (I prefer glass & order more rather than less.....trust me :) )
I'd also HIGHLY recommend at least some Ethyl Maltol, sweetener & LorAnn's Tart & Sour. They're used sparingly, usually ~1%-4%, but they'll help make your juice "pop".

Lastly get a good ejuice calculator. The eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator is good but I prefer & use Scubabatdan's eJuice calculator since I find it to be more accurate.
You can find the download link here eJuice Calculator v13

That's about all you really need to start.
Have a great time with your DIY Kyi! :laugh:

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Thanks everyone! I feel like an apprentice alchemist lol :D. Is ethyl maltol menthol concentrate or something? Honestly, I'm looking at this site and adding all sorts of stuff to my cart.. not really sure what I'm doing! So all I REALLY need as far as equipment goes for very small batches is a few empty bottles and some syringes? I'm probably going to be dealing with fairly low nicotine liquid and don't want to mix big batches. I read it is better to get nicotine dissolved in PG based liquid? So if I get PG nicotine, I can just get more PG and VG to balance it out to my desired level? And as far as flavor drops go.... all I need is like 1 or 2 drops? I see percentages on review charts but I don't really know what they mean...

So let me give an example. After I get all my stuffs and whatnot, I'll fill a little bottle with my PG and VG, then add some nicotine juice, then a few drops of one flavor, taste, and add more and go from there? Ahh.. I think I'm pretty good in the kitchen, but I do have a problem with over seasoning! Don't wanna do the same to my liquids. :p

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
I just started DIY and here's what my first order was:
250ml 60mg nic juice in 100% PG from freedomsmokes.com
10 30 ml plastic dropper bottles (I wish I had bought some smaller sizes)
10ml graduated cylindar - this comes in handy but I could've gotten by without it to start.
1 60ml glass bottle - shouldn't have bought - haven't used it.
4 Lorann's flavors. I chose lorann's because they are well described and rated on the DIY Juice Flavoring sticky thread
1 bottle The Flavor Apprentice Peppermint - Kind of an impulse buy but it's my favorite flavoring so far.
1 bottle of Koolada - I bought it because it sounded cool . .I like it!

Then I went to WalMart and bought a plastic syringe from the baby department and 2 bottles of Humco VG.

That got me making juice right away. I make 5 ml batches - it's small and easy to measure. I would make 3ml but the 30ml bottles are just too big . .I feel like 3ml could get stuck on the sides and in the cap, lol.

I wish I had bought a few more flavors in dram size and I wish I had researched a few recipes I wanted to try and then bought those flavors.

My second order was for additional flavors, sweetener and some lorann's tart and sour. I haven't had a chance to use the sweetener or tart and sour so I couldn't say if they were worth it . .but I'm definitely glad I picked up more flavors. The drams were around $1 each and I can make several small batches with each.

In the future, I see myself ordering some PG, smaller bottles, some VG based e-liquid, etc, etc . .but I'm pretty much off and running - making and vaping my own juices for now. My *good* batches are comparable to what I buy - but I have made some real bad ones, too.
So far I've really only made 1 juice that I would vape all day - a straight peppermint .. but I really like it and some of the others show definite promise after tweaking.

Last edited:

Mdemon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
Trinidad
EM gives body/mouthfeel & a bit of sweetness to juice. Think "cotton candy-like" sweet. Check out Hoosier's blog for more info What else do I need? as well as this thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ques-flavor-add-ons-em-vw-bw-mts-acv-ect.html

PG nic is easier to work with since its thinner in consistency, though I prefer VG nic myself since I like high VG juice. I suggest blunt tip needles with your syringes, especially when working with your nic base. 18g for PG & 14g for VG.

Depending on the flavoring, some require more some require less. Suggested percentages are % of the total amount you're making.
So if the recipe says 5% & you're making 10ml that would be 5%of 10ml (or [5/100]x10) which would be 0.5ml of flavouring.
The eJuice Calculators make it easy. All you need to do is plug in your percentages & it spits out the values in mls & drops of each. So no guesswork! :)

You've got the main concept down though.:toast:

EDIT: I know what you mean about the selection. My first DIY order ever (from 3-4 diff places) was about 60sumthin flavors plus assorted additives (EM, Sucralose, VW, T&S, etc.), gallon each of PG & VG, 500ml 100mg nic, high proof alcohol to thin VG, a buttload of 15ml & 30ml glass bottles, syringes- 1mlx10, 3mlx2, 5mlx5, 10mlx5, 60mlx2,
needles- 18gx10, 14gx6, gloves. :blink:
Overkill methinks? Lol Dammit! Go big or go home! :laugh:
Seriously... you don't need even HALF that to start....

Edit2: You know what's scary?....I may have left some stuff out....

Edit3: You know what's scarier?....I use them all! :evil:

Last edited:

Xylocaine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have been DIYing since… well honestly since I started vaping. As I have just actually ordered quite a bit of supplies for my lab I think I'll add in my two cents and offer what I feel is a very comprehensive list for the conservative mad scientist that won't leave you going 'I have too many of this and too little of that!'

If you’re not too worried about shipping costs I suggest ordering from 4 Vendors:

1. Syringes (from Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products)
15x1cc
10x3cc
5x6cc
Total Cost (With Shipping): Approximately 12$

Why so many syringes? The markings can wear off, they can wear out, break, become lost and sometimes I'm just a little bit lazy.

2. Propylene Glycol/Vegetable Glycerine (from http://www.essentialdepot.com/)
1xGallon of PG
1xGallon of VG
Total Cost (with shipping): 48.06

Finding this is simple at the top of their page is a link to PG or VG, either link will offer (after scrolling a bit) the 1 Gallon of each with free shipping.

3. Nicotine Extract and Lab Supplies (from https://wizardlabs.us/)
125mL of 60mg is only 11.39 (and prices range up and down from here)
The quality of Nicotine is by review just the best (price is amazing too).
7x14ga Blunt Tip Needle (.65 cents per) I suggest this gauge for working with PG any combination of a few others wouldn't hurt.
Total: 4.55
When it comes to bottles, I suggest glass. I like how they can be cleaned out (just make sure to clean them properly and safely) and reused a lot more than plastic. Basically I'm just going to suggest glass and you can just pretty much halve the cost if you choose plastic.

5x60mL Amber Glass Bottle (1.19 per) (Storing base you decide to make once you've cut your Nic)
5x30mL Cobalt Blue Glass Bottle w/ Glass Dropper Top (If they are out of stock, go for the Amber and don't be afraid to use a 1cc Syringe to dip into it.) (.99 for Blue, .89 for Amber)
Total: 10.90
Another note on bottles, when I first started I ordered a lot of 3mL bottles, only a few 5mL and almost no 30-60mL bottles (boy did I regret it). You know just because you have a 30mL bottle, nothing is stopping you from mixing 3, 5, 6, 24mL in it.
Total (with Approximated Shipping): 34.84

4. Flavour Art Flavoring (http://www.ecigexpress.com/)
I am, always have been and probably always will be one who drinks from the fountain of awesome that is Flavour Art. Their true to life flavors are absolutely amazing, how little you have to use is also amazing. I say this every time with FA remember ‘Apple’ is Apple, a real Apple not the Runts Candy Artificial Flavoring Apple . So far this has held true for all the flavors I have tried from them. Also I use a maximum of 2.5% flavoring in any recipe – I mix at 50% PG/50% VG, 9-12mg Strength without sweeteners (they’re sweet enough on their own). I usually use a glass bottle and give it a boiling water bath to speed up steeping process. (I include all this bonus information so you have the highest chance of replicating what I experience instead of just saying, I use 2.5%).

I suggest to pick at least 5 flavors you think/know you will like and purchase them. Almost all (if not all) non-tobacco flavors cost 3.99 for a 10mL bottle. I at first felt like this was a huge risk considering other vendors sell their flavorings in much lower quantities for slightly less price meaning with my budget I had to carefully pick flavors my first time. I have yet to be dissatisfied with any FA flavoring. It is worth noting some of the flavors sold here do contain Diacetyl which is harmful and should be avoided (its noted even in the brief description however so they are easy to spot/avoid).

Total cost (of 5 flavors with Approximated shipping): 23.94

This brings you to a total cost of:
$118.84
Feels a bit steep and the biggest cost being the PG/VG (though honestly it will be more than likely over a year’s supply and you also have the option of simply ordering your PG/VG through Wizard Labs at lower quantity and thus lower cost).

This is actually the set up I wish I had purchased from the get-go. If you have any questions or such feel free to contact me. A few things I may have left out such as safety equipment (gloves and such) can easily be purchased at just about any store locally or any vendor listed here.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Just a lil' hint that may help ya to determine whether ya need to purchase PG or VG nic base. If you prefer a higher PG mix/recipe (i.e. 60PG/40VG), then get the PG nic base. If you tend to favor a higher VG % (i.e. 70VG/30PG), then get the VG nic base.

Also note that most flavs are PG based.

You'll thank me later if ya get the above reversed! Don't ask how I know...
doh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread