How to increase TH in my RM2 coil setup...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-SMT-

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Hawaii
So I'm getting great flavor and great amount of vapor, I'm really loving the RM2...
I would really like to kick up the throat hit - can Ido this via my coil position....? Here's my specs:

I'm running a micro coil, 27g, 8 wraps, 1/16" ID and at 0.7 ohm...
Drilled my airhole out to 1/16"...(I like it!)
I place the coil pretty close to the edge by the airhole / coil is slanted abit
I'm vaping my fav juices at 18mg nic

I get fantastic flavor/vapor, but I would like to increase my TH, any thoughts...?

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
re-smallerize your air hole. That's where the TH went. Conversely, build a lower resistance coil (which needs more air, which you already have). As others have said, the more air gets under your coil (higher coil position) the more TH. I think it's because heat/vapor rises; so it has the same effect to hit the bottom of the coil as a smaller airhole would (since air isn't getting to the "pertinent" part of the coil . . . . ← the top, where the steam is rising off it . . . . ←so you're not cooling the steam as effectively).

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
Here is a new way to kick up the TH on your RM2. Granted I have had a few tasty beverages tonight, but without that I probably would have not discovered this.....

After you squonk, unscrew the cover of the RM2 about half a turn. Yes it will be a little loose, but it will kick up the TH by a factor of about 10. Then screw it back down before you squonk again.

I have been disappointed with the RM2 trying to find the perfect balance of TH and flavor until I stumbled upon this. Now I am happy! :thumb:

-SMT-

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Hawaii
Still working on different way to increase my TH.

Raising the coil REALLY increases the TH, but at the expense of flavor.

I have noticed, experiementing with coil position, this has a lot to do with it also. The closer my coil to the airhole, not matter what, gives me the BEST flavor, so close to the air hole is a MUST so far.

Raising the coil higher, above the airhole, was to big a trade off for me, less flavor, more throat hit.
So, my recent build has given the best results so far. I just went lower in ohms (from 0.7 to 0.5) and kept my coil at that sweet spot which is right at the airhole as close as possible, vertically and horizontially. Smack dab in front of the airhole.
Lowering the ohms is giving me the TH and the flavor I'm looking for.
Also, I've switched to Nichrome(26) from kanthal(27), and I think I like the Nichrome better...

With the 27g Kanthal I was doing 8 wraps to achieve 0.7ohms
The 26g Nichrome has to have 11 wraps to achieve 0.5 ohms (same 1/16" drill bit)

I'm thinking the longer coil is giving even better flavor and more TH at the same time...! Interesting....

still testing, but I am a happy camper right now...

Fav so far, 26g Nichrome, 1/16" ID, 0.5 ohms, right smack tab in front of the airhole
IMG_1885_zpsb5955a97.jpg

Last edited:

ratchet62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2013
USA
Wrap count plays a big part in the excellent vape I get from micro coils. 10 minimum is my rule and typically I run 11 or 12. The highest I have gone is around 15 or so but right now I'm loving 11 wraps of 28 ga Kanthal around a .055" mold. :)

What's the heat up time on a long coil like that? I did one that took forever to get hot. Didn't like it at all.

Sent from somewhere on Planet Earth.

jwat82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
The Land of Lincoln
What's the heat up time on a long coil like that? I did one that took forever to get hot. Didn't like it at all.

I normally run 11 wraps around a 1/16 drill bit of 26ga nichrome for ~0.8ohms, and heat up time is quick. No primer puffs or any other silliness needed.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com

28 ga 11 wraps Kanthal A1 around .055" mold 1.5 ohms. Damn near immediate.
Here's the build:
bane3uhu.jpg

ratchet62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2013
USA
I normally run 11 wraps around a 1/16 drill bit of 26ga nichrome for ~0.8ohms, and heat up time is quick. No primer puffs or any other silliness needed.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

28 ga 11 wraps Kanthal A1 around .055" mold 1.5 ohms. Damn near immediate.
Here's the build:
bane3uhu.jpg

I think the resistance is my problem. Working with Vamo right now, so have to stay above 1.2 ohms. Makes for a really long coil when using 28 ga. Coil too short with 32. Must need to get some 30 and try that. Coils being wound on a 16 ga blunt needle.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Yep, the .055" mold I use is slightly smaller than 1/16". It allows the perfect balance between resistance / wrap count / wickability :)

The coil in my pic is tiny and so is the RBA. Pictures make it look huge. It's a little smaller than the diameter of a dime I think it's like 14mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread