How to make VV boxmod with madvapes stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Works great and suprisingly enough you can turn the pot with no tools but it's not exposed enough to turn in your pocket:

Pictures are a bit crappy, sorry..

Pic of where pot sits. Small tactile switch is on the bottom of the box.
P4040026.jpg

How the circuit board sits in the slot.
P4040030.jpg

cutout for top cover..
P4040037.jpg

This is the first prototype so a little rough.. Hopefully we'll be getting some of these on the website soon :)

hoog

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
cyberwolf, did you ever get yourz to work?

Here's what you should be reading at the pins:

vape button off:
pins 2 and 3 = Vin, which should be 7.5 to 8.4 volts
pins 1 and 3 = should be less than .8 volts
pins 3 and 4 = 0 volts
pins 3 and 5= ?? never tested it.

With vape switch pressed:
pins 2 and 3 = Vin, which should be 7.5 to 8.4 volts
pins 1 and 3 = should about the same as Vin
pins 3 and 4 = 0 to 7 volts (turn the pot to make it change)
pins 3 and 5= ?? never tested it.

hoog

No. I'm lost on it. I'm assuming it's something I messed up, but everything looks correct. I bought two of them and am just going to see if I can get the second one to work. I will doublecheck your specs when I have a chance.

Thanks!

jmanning

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2010
Amarillo, TX
Looking at your wiring diagram, since you are using a switch on the control pin, should there be a master switch between the battery and the circuit, or is there no draw on the batteries if there is no connection to the control pen? Could you just jumper the control pen and use a bigger switch between the battery and the circuit?

Robert T

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2010
Lake City, Florida
I built one of these Saturday and have been using it for a few days to test it out. Works great! I used a 3 AA box and a 8mm x 8mm Sealed Tactile Switch. The board sits on top of the switch & pot. I drilled a 11/32 hole in the front for the pot and wallowed it out just a tad and glued the pot so it protrudes slightly. I like it on the front and its easy to adjust. It's tight as hell but it did fit this way. A vv mod for a little over $5.00 and a little time and patience. Thanks Mad Vapes!

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
Wow, do I feel stupid :oops: . I wired up the second of two of the Rev1 boards that I got, with still no luck. Only after a friend looked at them and puzzled over what the board was supposed to do, and then looking back at the description did I realize that there were no chips included with my order! For some reason I had it in my mind that the regulator was part of the board. Duh. I put in a ticket and will have you send the chips with another order.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Looking at your wiring diagram, since you are using a switch on the control pin, should there be a master switch between the battery and the circuit, or is there no draw on the batteries if there is no connection to the control pen? Could you just jumper the control pen and use a bigger switch between the battery and the circuit?

Yes a bigger switch would work. There will always be a small draw through the gnd for control pin if the master switch is on..

hoog

iamtopher34

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2010
Sandy Utah
my bad I got excited to build it and while looking at the pic on my phone of the wire diagram I put the atty ground in a hole that is not used sorry for the post but maybe it will help
some one if they do the same thing
but as allways madvapes is king I had a missing part in my order filed. ticket and they got
back to me fast and shipped it out and now it works
great!!! thanks again

How hard would it be to install the VV kit in a wooden 5v regulated box? I've got a journeyman bottomfeeder coming soon, and I would love to make it VV. That said, I have minimal electronics experience... I'll wait for a basic tutorial regardless, just thought i'd check in here before I bought anything

edit: i mean I guess I'd just cut out the 5v board and pop in the VV board... Never mind

Last edited:

kcofohio

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2009
Ohio
So I finially got one together. This is the Rev. 1 vv kit. Took a 901 PT, usb cable, and a 3AA box. Instead of mounting pot to the board, I put it on an interconnect pcb, flipped it around 180, and leaned it 90 degrees away from reg. Soldered leads to where it is now cw increase, ccw decrease. Also put two leds, green for power, red for atty firing. So far it works like it should.
Thanks Hoog!

Here's my results using the Madvape 5V 3AA kit for

chassis and modified with VV Rev 1 board.

I trimmed board from original 15mmX39mm down to

8mmX36 which allowed vertical board placement in

hollowed out battery chamber bottom.

This placed the vari-pot to sit flush and inside

case, supported on top with notched fitting into

battery tray (still allowing easy battery removal).

Results are a centered VV opening on case back.

Not bad for my very first mod ever...however I think

I overheated the controller chip cleaning off excess

tinning and need to order replacement.

hoog,

How do I go about ordering replacement NCP 630A 3amp

adjustable regulator? Are these prone to failure

carelessly ignoring solder heat? K640_DSC_1066.jpg K640_DSC_1073.jpg K640_DSC_1077.jpg

Attachments

• Madvapes.jpg
    Madvapes.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 151

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
After some issue with the Rev. 1 shipment, Madvapes cheerfully sent me the Rev. 2 kits and after an hour or so of putting it all together, I am happily vaping at 4.2v! Gotta love a VV mod for less than $30, even if you include batteries and charger. Thanks, hoogie for getting me straightened out and for putting this great kit together.

VV_box_01_400.jpg

VV_box_02_400.jpg

My switch placement was a little too close to the board, so I'm looking forward to round two. That's a Refillable 510 Cartomizer from Madvapes, too - excellent at 4.2v!

Last edited:

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
CW, that is really cool! How did you connect the two flashlight bodies together?

Dumb luck played a big part. It just happened that the body of a 3 LED flashlight from Dollar Tree fit snugly inside of a 9 LED from Home Depot. The ones from Home Depot are pretty standard, finding the slightly thinner one is the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread