How to make VV boxmod with madvapes stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Here's my take on building a tube mod version of the MV VV kit... I made the housing on my mini lathe... holds two 1630s or two 18350s. Voltage contron is currently recessed, but I'm machining up a knob for it this weekend to make it tool-less adjustment. It's a pretty darn great VV mod... Thanks Hoogie!

zenvv.jpg

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Zen~, that is gorgeous! I am envious of your metalworking ability. I have a wood lathe, but when it comes to metal, I'm stuck with whatever I can cobble together. Very nice work.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm still in the process of learning my way around a metal shop, I'm self-edge-a-ma-cated in machining. The more PVs I make, the better I get. I'm getting close to buying a better lathe and also a milling machine.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I haven't found a heat problem with the chips yet but I do find that the easiest and fastest way to solder then on the board is to the tin the runs on the board then put the chip in place and just touch each leg wih the soldering iron so it sinks into the solder on the runs. I also solder the heat sink part of the ncp630 to the larger pad on the end of the board..

hoog

Bluzeman

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2011
Ohio
If you look at the second picture down for the kit on the Madvapes site, it's pretty simple. He has drawn in all the connections except the two resistors, and a look at the board will show you where to solder those.

Only thing that might have been a little less confusing is if "battery connector" had been labeled as atomizer connector, that threw me for a minute.

Madvapes kit here: Variable Voltage Regulator Board Kit Rev 2

Bluzeman

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2011
Ohio
Hate to bring up an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. I just finished building my first vv board with the madvapes kit. I don't have it in an enclosure yet, but tested it out with an atomizer and 2 14500's. It works great. I was able to get 7.2 volts (without a load). Build was really easy.

As I said in the previous post, the pic Hoogie has showing the wiring for it is perfect. Soldering the regulator was also really simple. Just use a toothpick to apply flux to the pads and the solder flows right where it should. I probably added more time than needed, but I fluxed and tinned each pad one at a time, wiping the board clean after tinning each pad to make sure there was no flux where I didn't want it.

Now I just need to figure out an enclosure. I'll probably use a project box, if I can't find a good tube of some kind.

oops, did not get back in time to answerer that, he got to use it for about 6 hours, and It died today. so he is taking it all back apart, but it does get 6.8 volts before it goes through the board, and now nothing after the board.. oh well he loved it while it lasted.

Edit: ok got it working again after taking it all apart and redoing it, now getting 6volts at the atty connection, he is happy with that if that is what it is going to get , just kinda weird

Edit 2: worked for about 3 puffs and Died again GAH!

Last edited:

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Sounds like the current is so high the regulator is overheating... Disconnecting then reconnecting the battery probably resets it... Reason is atty resistance is too low for the voltage level... Is the top "tab" of the regulator soldered to the board?

Also, one of the cells may need a charge and the protection circuit on th battery may be shutting you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread