how to not get a harsh throat hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

joyce3001

Nov 23, 2009
columbus, oh
It's weird that everyone here seems to love the throat hit. I have tried the 510 and blackjack from 21st century smoking and both make me feel like i'm going to gag on them. It's not the same experience i get from a regular cigarette so right now i only use them when i can't smoke regular cigarettes. I would like to find an e-cig that gives lots of vapor without the throat hit so they can completely replace analogs. Just makes my throat sore after just a few hits don't see why anyone would want that.

Anyway, if someone can tell me of a method of smoking the one's i have without the throat hit or of a good e-cig that produces lots of vapor with no throat hit I'd really appreciate. My husband didn't like them because of the throat hit either but then he has coughing spells so it's understandable for him to not want something that's going to cause him to start coughing.

NativeTexan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lampasas Texas
I would recommend the DSE 901, it has somewhat less of a throat hit and the flavors are much tastier IMO. I had a 510 first, then switched to the 901 and I think the 901 has better flavor, moderate throat hit and better battery life.

Also, I have noticed that higher mg nic concentration in your liquid will give more throat hit too.

Also the atty primer on new atty's will give a harsh burning feeling in the back of your throat. Blowing them out from the battery end of the atty will get rid of most of it.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Joyce,

First , we need a little more insight into exactly what you are using...

1. What juice vendor do you use and what mg of nic do you use.
High strength nic will produce larger throat hit. This sounds like your problem area.

2. Do you use PG, reduced PG, VG, or 50/50 VG/PG?
Some have complained that they had an adverse reaction to PG and had to switch to another base because they had sores in their mouth, throat bleeds, soar throats, rash in the mouth or about the mouth, and so on.

3. Juices and vendors are very subjective: some of the tobacco flavored juices are very strong whereas others can be very light. Depending on the unit you have, the vapor concentration from tobacco flavored juices/fruit flavored juice react different to everyones palette. You may find using juices from different vendors will change the overall experience you have with the throat hit... basically due to the way juices are mixed and what concentrations of each ingredient is applied. I.E. - one vendors method of concentration in say a flue cured tobacco juice may have a throat hit you don't like whereas another vendors concentration by mixture of that same flavor may carry the throat hit you do like. It is just something you have to play around with and find what you want.

My $0.02 worth.. take it for what it is worth to you!!!
Tom

Chris Brown

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2009
Grand Prairie, TX, USA
So far I love the throat hit but I don't require it non stop... Today I've been vaping between two 510s... one with 24mg ry4 and one with 12mg (half 24mg marb and half 0mg usa mix) and I enjoy both...

The 12mg really doesn't have much feeling (to me) on inhale and upon exhale it is very smooth... it's completely different from the 24mg ry4 which feels strong on the inhale and the exhale. More like an expansion feeling than a harshness but defiantly strong.

Experiment with different juice types and strengths. I read a post earlier about 0mg having no throat hit... maybe try cutting your liquid with some pg or vg to mellow it out.

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
How long u been vaping? TH deeply depends on that. If u just started, its harsh. If ur a veteran, it gets mild unless u have a strong juice or flavor such as menthol, but even then after vaping a while (2 weeks max) even menthol is soothing, not harsh. Also, as other poster asked-equipment and voltage? Vaping does have somewhat of a "learning curve" as its a lil different than smoke. The body reacts different as its a vapor, not smoke and its used to smoke.

If u could provide us w more details, we could help u better. :)

umop apisdn

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
The first week I was vaping - I hated the throat hit. It went away after a few drags, and bugs me here and there, but it's happening less and less.

Remember when you first smoked a cigarette and coughed? It's kind of like that. Instead of inhaling solid particles suspended in a gas, you're just inhaling heated gas, which your lungs are not used to yet. Try inhaling like a cigar (but less in the throat, and more in the mouth) to let the vapor cool a little first, and then inhale to your lungs, I find that helps a lot.

If it still bothers you, you might want to consider a 901/401 model. The throat hit is weaker, which might help out. It could even be the nic level. It might even be the PG. Start changing the habit going from the cheapest to the most expensive though, you might find that you LOVE your new throat hit from the 510 you hate now after you switch to VG, and you'd save the money you'd normally spend on getting a different kit.

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
I am still fairly new to vaping. I have been vaping 1 1/2 mos- I am still learning new things. The biggest thing I have learned is that I don't like the coughing/ choking sensation. I do look for the "sting/tinge" that I would normally get from a cigarette. I use a M401 model and it has been great for me.

A few things that I think play a factor is
flavor of juice
strength of nicotine
the type of PV you use

I haven't begun actual mixing yet. I bought some menthol crystals and also plan to buy some everclear. I know the menthol will give me that "sting" but I am curious to find if PGA will also contribute. I don't want all my flavors to be "mentholated". I will experiment and hope to find a mixture that will allow all of the things I want.
HTH and hope you find a combination that works for you both.

joyce3001

Nov 23, 2009
columbus, oh
I have only tried the 510 and blackjack and the blackjack didn't taste like anything at first but got better unfortunately i lost my battery right away with that one. So I have been using the 510 mostly with the juice that came with it which is the higher nicotene content 24 mg which from most of the responses is too much at least to start out with. I'll try some lower nicotene content next to see if that helps.

I was also wondering what some of you were talking about when you asked what pv i use. I am using juice i got from cignot and it doesn't have any particular brand name on it. Just says Tobacco 24 mg. Would appreciate suggestions on some of the better juices on the market since most of you are much more experienced then me. Someone asked how long i've been vaping and it's only been about 3 weeks and only about 1/3 of the time. The rest of the time I am smoking analogs until i get more used to these.

Also, curious if anyone has tried the screwdriver and if it is possible to get a lighter throat hit from it.

Charlie58

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2009
Florida,U.S.A.

Cail

Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
indiana
In addition to the liquid recommendations I would say try drawing a bit differently. I feel like a slow very light draw gives a bit less harshness. Also, try to moderate how much vapor you get. If you take a draw and it's too harsh try a little bit smaller draw the next time. It's just like with cigarettes, if you get too much vapor it's a lot more harsh.

<<Not that the original user is still around, should have paid more attention to the original date>>

Last edited:

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
In addition to the liquid recommendations I would say try drawing a bit differently. I feel like a slow very light draw gives a bit less harshness. Also, try to moderate how much vapor you get. If you take a draw and it's too harsh try a little bit smaller draw the next time. It's just like with cigarettes, if you get too much vapor it's a lot more harsh.

<<Not that the original user is still around, should have paid more attention to the original date>>

I was just joking with you. I never pay attention to dates myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread