How to preserve the beauty of the Woodvil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacy1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Brunswick,GA,USA
I'm hoping to score my first woodvil in the upcoming sale, and would like some info on what it takes to keep these mods looking great for years. I know that they'll show dings and such if dropped and abused, but I'm talking more about the finish of the wood. Do certain woods require more maintenance than others? Do we treat them like a piece of furniture and wipe them down with pledge once a week? Do they need to be poly coated every so often? Any help would be appreciated. The reos I have are the metal ones, and I don't even worry about being careful with the two I take to work, because they're indestructible, but I need to know how to take proper care of the woodvil, and if different woods require different things. It could help in narrowing the list of my top 100 choices lol. Thanks in advance

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Most here recommend using Howard's Sun Shield conditioner on Woodvil's for it's added UV protection out in the sun (beeswax and orange oil). As one who crafted fine exotic woods for over 50 years (and made his own finishes for much of it), that is a far better alternative to what some Woodvil's have had done to them IMO. HSS is easy to use, no fuss no muss to rub it into the wood so more likely to get used more often. Dried out wood will soak it up, but a little goes a very long way. On Woodies that have been spray coated with whatever over the counter product HSS would not be as effective, but still can't hurt. YMMV

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
The Howard's SunShield contains: a unique blend of carnauba wax, beeswax and orange oil along with UV protection. It is great for the woods that will darken over time with sun exposure.

Be careful if you try any other waxes. Some will ruin the poly coat.

There will also be some Woodvil's with a natural finish. Those will not have poly coat but be oiled. Robert has used Tung oil or Mineral oil in the past.

The poly coat finish is pretty hardy. The Howard's will keep it clean and give UV protection. After a few years of use the poly might wear off on the areas you touch the most. Robert can refinish them to new!

It is suggested that you use the Howard's on the back of the door and also inside. That is raw wood that gets very dry. I put on the Howard's and leave it without wiping off on the inside.

With constant use a waxing every few weeks is good. About once a month. In between any juice or dirt can be removed with a little water to moisten a soft cloth.

Last edited:

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
As Karen mentioned it very important to get a good treatment on the inside of the Reo and back of the door, especially if the outside is poly coated. The bare wood can absorb more moisture that the finished outside which can lead to warping.

I personally prefer the feel of oil / natural finish to the poly coated Reos. I treat mine with HSS every month or two depending on use and weather. Now that the weather is getting warmer and the humidity is climbing, I'll give them all a good spring coat and let it sit overnight before wiping them down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread