How to properly dispose of 100 mg/ml nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vape1000RR

Jul 6, 2016
Bay Area, CA
What's up guys. Getting straight to the point, back during the epidemic of banning all e-liquid (flavors) was in process, most individuals were transitioning to DIY e-liquid. This was due to people claiming we won't ever have access to purchasing our favorite liquids anymore, thus we need to make them. So, without question, I hopped on the train.

But then... I realized how difficult it was to make DIY flavors and have ACTUAL DECENT tasting e-liquid. Who knew strawberry banana wouldn't be just 5% strawberry, 3% strawberry ripe, and 5% banana. Well, I didn't and I soon realized I sucked at DIY. Thus..... I have 2 liters of 100 mg/ml nicotine sitting in my freezer in amber glass jars.

Now, some people mentioned, "Bless the community and let others try it". Well, I would, but the thing is, the nicotine is kind of old but it was PROPERLY stored. In other words, I have 1 liter of NudeNicotine Premium E-Liquid and 1 liter of VapersTek Premium E-LIquid. They were transferred to glass amber jars ranging from 100-250ml and stored in the freezer as soon as I received the package. In other words, they have been sitting in my freezer in these glass jars since 2016...........

Would my best bet to dispose of this stuff be going to an vape shop and see if they would take it? Going to Kaiser and ask them what to do with it? I'm not going to take 50 steps necessary to dispose of it at a hazardous waste facility after pouring it on a piece of wood after it has been thrown... etc. So, what would you guys do with 2 liters of 100 mg/ml nicotine?

Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If it's been properly stored identify all the accurate information about source and storage and attempt to either sell it in the classifieds here or just post it and PIF it to a needy mixer. Just remember to ship it in proper packaging and send it following the rules of the carrier you choose as it is considered a hazardous material and can't just be stuck in a box and dropped into a mailbox.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I assume that you meant nicotine base, when you said the following: "In other words, I have 1 liter of NudeNicotine Premium E-Liquid and 1 liter of VapersTek Premium E-LIquid."

I'd do what Eskie said above. There are ECF members in CA who would probably jump on buying it from you. Possibly some are even in your area, or within easy driving distance, so it wouldn't require shipping it at all.

You do need to know though, if you put it in the Pay It Forward forum for free...that the "giver" is responsible for all shipping costs. The receiver cannot be asked to pay for anything.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
A third option would be to give DIY another shot. Many people don't come up with their "ideal" mixes when they start out. Some mixes may be total losers, some just OK but not so good, but eventually...they'll make others that are good.

Before you get rid of your nic, please try the following easy peasy recipe of mine, if you have the flavorings already:

NannerBerry

TFA Strawberry Ripe - 9%
TFA Banana Cream - 6% (or the DX version)
TFA Cotton Candy - 2%

From comments made by people on the Recipes for Dummies thread (who made it after I posted it there), and in other threads...it's a good mix. Maybe you'd end up liking it, too. I see you have TFA Strawberry Ripe, but if you don't have the Banana Cream or Cotton Candy...I'll send you a small amount of each...for free! Just PM me your mailing info.!

ETA: I've also got a good variety of some of the OneStopDIY Shop flavorings and blends that are really wonderful. You just add between 5-10% of any 1 of them singly, to your own PG, VG, and nic base...and it's good to go...ready to vape! I could send some Baked Cinnamon Roll, or Blue Raspberry Slush, or Lucky Shot, etc. for you to try.

Last edited:

Vape1000RR

Jul 6, 2016
Bay Area, CA
If it's been properly stored identify all the accurate information about source and storage and attempt to either sell it in the classifieds here or just post it and PIF it to a needy mixer. Just remember to ship it in proper packaging and send it following the rules of the carrier you choose as it is considered a hazardous material and can't just be stuck in a box and dropped into a mailbox.
Ok. If I did do this, I would do it locally at first than maybe start shipping it out. I wouldn't sell it as even though it costed over $200 for both of them, I rather give it to someone who is just starting DIY, or even your regular DIY vaper. But thank you very much, I'll definitely consider this . I just don't know how people feel about 2 year old base nicotine, even though it was stored properly. I'm not sure if its worth to mention also, the nicotine base is VG based.

A third option would be to give DIY another shot. Many people don't come up with their "ideal" mixes when they start out. Some mixes may be total losers, some just OK but not so good, but eventually...they'll make others that are good.

Before you get rid of your nic, please try the following easy peasy recipe of mine, if you have the flavorings already:

NannerBerry

TFA Strawberry Ripe - 9%
TFA Banana Cream - 6% (or the DX version)
TFA Cotton Candy - 2%

From comments made by people on the Recipes for Dummies thread (who made it after I posted it there), and in other threads...it's a good mix. Maybe you'd end up liking it, too. I see you have TFA Strawberry Ripe, but if you don't have the Banana Cream or Cotton Candy...I'll send you a small amount of each...for free! Just PM me your mailing info.!

See, I would pull it up as I even made a recipe book when I first started. I went to DIY section and wrote down a bunch of recipes people swore by. I think for me, it was also the steeping process followed by a lack of knowledge of RDAs. As most people mentioned, you NEED an RDA when you DIY to test out the flavors, etc. But the RDA I had, I was using a simple 26 GA single coil, 6 wrap build. It was ..... I had no idea how to wick, etc. So that could have contributed to my poor experience with DIY as ever time I vaped my finished product, it tasted awful .

Another big thing is steeping. Most people make 100 ml batches (from my reading), but I started off with 30 MLs. I did it by weight and I even downloaded an E-Juice calculator created by some forum member here, and it helped greatly. I would do a quick hot bath steep with the cap off along with shaking it wildly. I jsut didn't have the patience to wait for it to steep on its own as well as why wait a week for it to steep when in the end, it taste awful. Also, the thing with giving DIY another shot is well.... I threw away all my TFA / CAP flavors as I was cleaning out my room. I had a dedicated shelf / closet where I kept all my DIY stuff besides the nicotine base, and it was just stacking up room since I haven't touched it since 2016. The flavors started to turn real dark yellow, etc.

Also, what I came to the conclusion is that I am not a heavy vaper. Some people mention they can go through 30 ml's a day, even up to 60. The guy at my local vape shop said he can vape around 100 mls of juice throughout his 8 hour shift. That's alot of juice. Me on the other hand, I go about maybe 5 mls of juice a day. Probably less. Maybe 200 puffs a day off an RDA. And since 60-100 ml's bottles cost $25, that should last me quite a bit.

I think at this point, unless I meet some DIY king in person and can actually witness / spectate / observe the technique for great DIY juice, I might just give it up. I'm going to think of the best way to give away the nicotine base for free (whether it is in person / shipping), but I'll probably do it in either 60 ml, 100 ml, or 250 ml bottles as that's what they were stored in.

As for this part, "I see you have TFA Strawberry Ripe, but if you don't have the Banana Cream or Cotton Candy...I'll send you a small amount of each...for free! Just PM me your mailing info.!", I greatly appreciate your offer and I sometimes forget how helpful and genuine the vaping community is. I would definitely take up that offer if I was willing to test DIY again, but as of right now, I'm not sure if I'm ready yet. I bought 2 liters of nicotine during the epidemic in the hopes of not running out of E-Juice until I was ready to fully quit. But since the flavors are still readily available at the local stores, I might just use those for the time being. Who knows, maybe regulations will hit harder than before and I will be forced to DIY then, but who knows when that will happen. But once again, thank you very much for your offer. I don't doubt that you can make some great flavors.

roygodbold

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2010
virginia
I wouldn't send anyone nicotine that I didn't personally know. The liability is just too great in todays world.
No problems with flavorings. The nic should be fine. I just pulled an August 2015 bottle from the freezer,
stored as you have, and besides a slight discoloration from oxidation, its fine.

If you have a garden or such you might want to check on using it as a very good insecticide. Don't know
how far down you'd have to dilute it or if the VG base would be a problem.

Just my 2 cents...

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
But since the flavors are still readily available at the local stores, I might just use those for the time being. Who knows, maybe regulations will hit harder than before and I will be forced to DIY then, but who knows when that will happen.

Your nic base, stored properly in those glass bottles, will definitely be good for several more years at least. Some people have pulled some out of their freezers that's been 4-6 years old...and it's still fine. It doesn't "go bad" as in spoiling. It may over many years lose a tiny bit of potency, but I'm not going to know the difference between 100mg/mL and something that's slightly less, like 99.2mg/mL, or most likely even quite a bit lower.

As far as steeping or aging, or whatever people want to call it - There are many recipes that don't require it at all, and are shake & vape ones. Only 3 recipes that I make get better after aging several days or a week. All the rest are fine as S&V, as soon as I finish them. Regarding quantities made at 1 time...I make my ADV in 120mL size, about once every 3-4 weeks. Others I make in 10-50mL size. Brand new recipes, I make in 3-5mL size and then tweak them to get them the way I want them to taste. Then I make the 10-50mL sizes. I taste test on an RTA, or using an old-school 510 atty, or even a clearomizer. I don't even use an RDA for taste testing.

I just hate the thought of you giving something away, especially nic base that's expensive...when it will keep and be perfectly OK for years. With as flaky as the FDA "stuff" has been, and what some states and cities are doing regarding flavors and eliquids, nic content, additional tax on eliquids, etc....I'd personally hang onto it.

My offer has no expiration date, if you want to reconsider hanging onto the nic and giving DIY a try again later. I'm no DIY expert by any means, but I have taught 8 other people so far how to do it (in person, by email, by phone, and in PM on here). I'd be willing to help you in any way, too, if/when you want to give it another try. :)

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
If you can't find someone local to take it; I would strongly encourage you to wait until the cooler months to ship it. Nicotine concentrate is rather sensitive to heat... especially in the smaller bottle sizes you have it packaged in. Imagine that sitting in the back of a delivery truck for 3-5 days, in +100° temperatures, and damaged nic could likely be the result.

Just a thought.... ;)

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Tastes great, less filling.
In the fridge/freezer, to refill the 60ml using bottles I keep in the fridge.
3 gallons in the subzero freezer in the basement.
My family & friends are all set for 25 years.
currently vaping.jpg

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
If properly stored, it should be no problem. PIF it or sell it. If you'd prefer not to take the risk, nicotine is soluble in alcohols or light-weight petroleum oils. Next time you change the oil in your car, dump it in there and recycle the mess.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Unless it's like, taking up valuable freezer space and what not, why not just keep it? I mean, it's going to keep a while more and frankly, until the FDA gets good and done with whatever it does, well, you may decide that your basic mixing skills need to improve and that CAN be accomplished, I mean, there's no harm in waiting a few more years if it's properly stored. The nic storage experiment thread sort of leads to the conclusion that nic stored in glass and freezers can keep a LONG time.

If DIY and nic gets banned and all that remains are like, puny closed pod systems that taste like plastic and/or cardboard, well, you may feel differently about it THEN and/or whatever DIYer you gift it to may be far more appreciative.

It would be a shame for all that nic to go to waste, however you wind up doing it. It's a bit like a dude who can't swim deciding to sell his boat, because a) you can always learn to swim and b) Noah was pretty glad he had a boat when the time came and etc.

Anna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I'd hold on to it and cut it down to 50/50 6nic, add some sweetener and use it as a pesticide. It works wonders on ant colonies. I exterminated a large ant colony under our deck a couple years ago with old commercial juices I didn't vape any more....haven't seen any movement so it musta worked.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
First part of 2018 I ordered new nic because my 2 year old nic had turned a shade of deepening orange after being stored at room temp. I intended on breaking it down into smaller bottles and freezing, but failed to do it in time. It was obviously not good for DIY so I walked around our 2+ acre lot and fed it to the Fire Ant hills. I just splashed each mound with an ounce or two from my two 100mg/ml bottles and moved to the next one. This Summer is the first in the 20 years since we built the house that our Ga Fire Ants haven't rebuilt mounds after using commercial Fire Ant Killer. 100mg/ml Nic was the cure (so far). It beat the heck out of Amdro Fire Ant killer.

Mine was deep amber/orange after not being frozen. As long as it's been frozen it should be fine. Someone at a vape shop should take it for personal use. Of course they shouldn't sell it without disclosing its history, but it should be fine for vaping. All their friends would love to share in your donation.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So, what would you guys do with 2 liters of 100 mg/ml nicotine?
I would keep it. In fact if all I had was two liters, I would still be buying more. We got a reprieve from the regulations for a few years, but that's mostly due to the current administration's FDA electing not to enforce regulations that are already in effect, a situation that should not be regarded as permanent. The political winds tend to change direction every few years.

All indications are that properly stored (as you have done it) nicotine base will last a very long time I'm currently vaping juice I mixed a couple of months ago made with nic I got in the first half of 2014. It was "good as new" -- clear, colorless, no off smell, and tastes fine. Since I primarily vape unflavored liquid, I'm pretty fussy about the taste and quality of my nic because there's nothing to mask the taste or smell.

Think of it as cheap insurance. Even if you're not using it now, if/when the hammer drops, you'll be glad you've got it.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Not having read every word above I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this...

Consider going flavorless. Many have and don't lack for it. Mixing is easy. Just dilute your 100mg/ml to your preferred level with appropriate base. I mix a 120ml bottle of 50mg/ml VG from my few year old 100mg/ml stock. I do this once about every 3 months. I consume (due to high nic level?) less than 2ml/day. The mixing hobby is near zero for me anymore. Life and vaping are much easier now.

You might be surprized at the benefits of which there are several. I'll not go into just what they are as many here may have an interest in others not realizing those benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread